Menus are changing!

Bummed about the chicken wings at sci-fi. I feel confident saying that is a cost savings, chicken tenders are much cheaper then wings. Can't speak to any other changes though. Oh and IMO ostrich is great, if you were served it and told it was steak you'd never know.

The Kona Eggs Benedict comes with citrus-chili hollandaise sauce. Has anyone tried this? Is this sauce good?

Classic hollandaise has both lemon juice and cayenne pepper (a dash) already in it...so I'm not sure if they are listing it this way so you know what hollandaise is, so it sounds more impressive than it is, or if they are messing with the ratio of each to make it spicier and/or more sour...

... and get off my lawn. You just sound grumpy.

Seriously, it's an argument with no proof whatsoever. Do companies get rid of unpopular merchandise? Yes. Are there some cost cutting measures? Of course. But to claim every decision is a cash grab is short sighted and blatantly false. If that was even remotely true, I'm sure everyone on here could name a dozen things Disney could cut at aren't essential to the bottom line.

How about the chefs want to make something different? equally valid opinion without knowing the actual reason.

How do I know? Because William of Ockham told me so. While all opinions are valid, some tend to have more weight based on prior observed behaviors. And I think if it was really about the chefs, you'd be seeing press on this as yet another pixie dust benefit and they've been kinda silent.

This is not to say I don't expect some places to change constantly. In 21 years, I've never had the same menu twice at Narcossee's or Cali Grill. I expect that there. But these other places have never been that variable in the past (except usually for monetary reasons). Smoke->fire.

What is pork belly

It is uncured, unsmoked, uncut bacon. It is a very fatty cut of pork. Nothing at all like pulled pork. It is the darling of the culinary world right now, so I guess that is why they reworked the recipe. I personally find it gross, but tons of people like it. :-(

The Samoan is my fav! So delicious! We start our MK day with a 7:30 Kona ressie. Not sure if that tradition will continue. Although the eggs benedict sounds good, it's a bit time consuming to get to the Poly from a non-monorail resort. Might not be on our agenda next time.

It is uncured, unsmoked, uncut bacon. It is a very fatty cut of pork. Nothing at all like pulled pork. It is the darling of the culinary world right now, so I guess that is why they reworked the recipe. I personally find it gross, but tons of people like it. :-(
I thought I was the only one...not a fan of pork belly but yes it is very hip in the culinary world right now.

Heck even McDonalds and Burger King change their menus now and then! They take low sellers off the menu and add new items off to try to increase sales I must be an exception but I can find something to eat at almost any restaurant.

Yes...I'm still bitter that McDonalds ditched their chicken wraps. Thanks for dredging up all of those bad feelings I tried so hard to bury. :rotfl:

Off topic I know but lol

I thought I was alone! I don't get the whole pork belly craze?! Pork fat..:confused:.... but it is everywhere so there ya go. Hopefully this new benedict rendition will be great for all the pork belly lovers!

We haven't been to WDW in over a decade but based on our experience with DLR menu's change a lot here and not always for the better. We used to go to Cove Bar before it was crazy insane busy and the food was amazing! Now the portions are minuscule compared to just 2 years ago and several $$$ more. They have changed the menu there (once getting rid of the wings...but they were brought back because I am sure the replacement never was ordered...don't even remember what that was now lol). So menu's change for cost cutting in some scenarios and in others to increase sales.

I remember all of this menu changing going down with LTT in the MK last fall while following the boards and it appears they have brought at least a few items back. So when it reaches a point of not filling seats due to menu changes maybe the menu will tweak the menus again. :goodvibes

When I checked the Kona menu this morning, lunch and dinner had gone back to all the old items: including the lunch sandwiches, lamb, sushi, etc. Breakfast was still the new items. I'm getting confused!

When I checked the Kona menu this morning, lunch and dinner had gone back to all the old items: including the lunch sandwiches, lamb, sushi, etc. Breakfast was still the new items. I'm getting confused!

Hhmm. Yes, I see that at 6:50 EST it is showing a different menu (looks like Disney website is currently showing the classic menu- as it look like the one on allears.) When I checked two days ago it was a different menu than what's posted on allears.

There are currently very distinctly different menus for lunch and dinner. (morning of 5/9/20117)

Yesterday or the day before Stich was poping up often when people tried to open menus. Maybe they accidentally posted the new menus too soon and now took them down?

It's funny, when we plan for Disney I often pick what I'm going to order 6 months out. Yet there are time when I'm not sure what I'm having for dinner the same night at home.

Last edited:
First heard about this on the Disvlog, we had planned on a Kona breakfast for Tonga Toast & the big kahuna, just not sure that we would take a trip to the Poly for what's on offer now, dinner is a different story. If I had to guess I would say that "we" have shot ourselves in the foot, every website, in relation to DDP free or otherwise, tells us how to get maximum bang for our buck. So generally someone isn't going to use their 1TS credit for a $15 breakfast or a $20 lunch but make that a $35 Steak & we are all about getting our monies worth! It's all about "bums on seats" (uk saying) so if by making lunch/dinner the same, they can get more guests spread over the day then it makes sense for them. Like anything when you take the "Most Magical place on earth" glasses off it's a business that is there to make money for it's shareholders & that's the bottom line.
SD

What is pork belly

I thought I was the only one...not a fan of pork belly but yes it is very hip in the culinary world right now.

So I'll go the opposite. Pork belly is decadent, can be crispy and melt in your mouth at the same time. No you shouldn't eat it everyday, but it's a wonderful treat.

I don't know all the darlings of the food world :p, so that may be true. I know they had it at food/wine in 2014. I've had it at restaurants over the past few years. Good, good, good!

I still love bacon, but pork belly cooked just right is amazing....

This absolutely could be a coincidence but every time we've been to Yachtsman during Free Dining the fish option has always been salmon. At other times of year I've seen grouper and even halibut on the menu.
it could be seasonal. Any of those options are still high margin at 2ts.
The Ostrich filet was NOT on the menu last week when we were there.
maybe they couldn't get it. it was definitely on the menu when we went in december.

Does anyone know what restaurants have changed menus?
So far I've noticed, Sci Fi, Kona and Captain's Grille. Are there more?

Yes...I'm still bitter that McDonalds ditched their chicken wraps. Thanks for dredging up all of those bad feelings I tried so hard to bury. :rotfl:
Now's probably not the time to mention that Mcdonalds still has the chicken wraps here in the UK is it? :rolleyes1

I had friends eat breakfast at Kona Sunday with the new menu. Even though the Big Kahuna was not on the menu, the server said they would still serve it when requested.

Of course, YMMV as with all things at Disney.

Laura

Ostrich sliders at California Grill...I may be getting excited about dining again. I passed my 180 and made only 3 ADRs for my 12 night trip. Just board with everything. Change is good news! I'll have to take another pass through my favorite restaurant menus and see if something new grabs me.

I don't understand the theory that the menu changes tie in with when Free Dining comes in. You must remember that while Free Dining is limited in the states, over seas it's offered a lot more freely. For example in UK as long as you book by Autumnish (I can't remember the exact date) you can book your package with Free Dining for anytime in 2018. So there are people using free dining all year round.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter