Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works! 6/7 PTR Link!

Woohoo you started! I am here!!!

HI HEATHER!!! :woohoo:

Hi, I followed your first TR and loved it. I am on board with this one too. I will be on the cruise right before yours on Dec. 4th! SO EXCITED. :cheer2:

Hi and welcome!

Narsibvl (here following on my TR) will be on the same cruise as you! :goodvibes Hopefully one of you guys will be able to tell me about the weather when you get back! :goodvibes

I wasn't going to say it but I couldn't deal with a Disney cruise less than seven days after the one we took 10 years ago. I loved it and we talked about doing it again, but Fran wants to be more mobile.

I wasn't going to say it but I couldn't deal with a Disney cruise less than seven days after the one we took 10 years ago. I loved it and we talked about doing it again, but Fran wants to be more mobile.

Whenever we go on a cruise, we book 7 nights or longer. Most of the cruises I have been on were 7 or 8 nights. But, I did a 3-night once with a friend, and a couple of 5-night cruises also (years ago)...definitely too short and once you go on a 7-night cruise, it spoils you into believing you NEED to be on that ship for at least a week! :laughing:

DH and I talked about when we are going to do another cruise...it looks like it will be in 4 years from now. Since we go to WDW every other year, we do a different type of vacation in the years in between WDW trips. This year it was a cruise. In 2013, DH said he would like to do something other than a cruise. Now, I would be fine with alternating WDW with cruises, but DH wants to do something different so we will do a cruise every 4 years. I already looked into the Beaches Resort in Jamaica...it's all-inclusive (even drinks and tips), and is great for kids. The only thing that worries me, is that we always travel in the summer, and that is hurricane season. At least with a cruise, they can divert us if there is a storm out there, but if we are flying to an island that is going to have a direct hit, that would NOT be good at all. :scared1: My friend keeps trying to convince us to go to Aruba (she and her DH have been there several times) because it is outside the hurricane belt, but I don't know how good it is for kids there. Seems better for adults.

Yes, I watched Up! this weekend. I have a love-hate relationship with that movie. It ALWAYS makes me teary in the very beginning, which I HATE! WHY start a movie off horrifically sad at the start!? But it's such a cute movie. :cutie:

So DH and I have some decisions to make in regards to excursions....LOTS of decisions but we have decided upon a few things:

1) On one of the Cabo San Lucas days(since we have 2 days there), we've decided to stay on the ship and either explore the ship OR do some type of spa treatments, whether it be the Spa Villa Treatments for two or individual treatments.

2) We both decided we would LIKE to go to Palo on Pirate Night. And I say like, because i'm not sure how the availability will look. Ideally, we would love it to be on Pirate Night, because on this last cruise, we weren't too fond of the menu. However, if that can't happen, any other night, besides the first and last, will do just fine. :thumbsup2

3) We will be doing at least 2 tasting seminars. Definitely the tequila/margarita tasting again (we ARE in Mexico after all :dance3: <---my Mexican hat dance!) and not sure on the other one we'll be doing. I heard the beer one was pretty good, but again, we'll look at all the offerings.

Now, we only have 13 days until we can book excursions, dining, and spa. We are having some MAJOR troubles with the Port excursions though. We just don't know what to do.

Here are our choices for CABO SAN LUCAS that we have narrowed it down to:

-Cabo Resort Beach Getaway (5 star resort, includes pools and beaches and mexican brunch buffet)
-ATV Beach and Desert Expedition
-Cabo Canopy Adventure (zip lining and rappelling)
-Chileno Bay Snorkeling OR Santa Maria Snorkel
-Pacific Side Horseback Ride

And for PUERTO VALLARTA:

-Canopy Adventure (ziplining and tarzan swing)
-Outdoor Adventure (mule ride into sub-tropical forest, zip-lining, hiking, rappelling down waterfall)
-Sea Safari (horseback riding, snorkeling, and beach)
-Yelapa & Majahuitas (snorkeling, hike through waterfalls, swimming)

The ones that are bolded are the ones we're seriously considering, but are just not sure yet. We KNOW we want to do something with beaches/water at any of the Ports. UGH DECISIONS! :sad2:

Subbing (said in Charlie Sheen's "Winning!" voice)! :lmao:

I loved your Dream TR (I'll be boarding the Dream two Sundays from now and your TR gave me lots of good info), so count me in this time around, too!

Congrats on your decision to "expand the brand" (I love that, by the way). That's exciting! If everything goes well, you can make baby little things to wear that say "Made in DCL." :lmao:

wow there are some exciting excursions on your cruise! The sea safari & outdoor adventure look good :goodvibes

I cry a lot in "Up" too! ... when we first saw it at the cinema, I wasn't prepared at all and came out with red eyes & mascara down my cheeks! :rotfl: ... apart from the beginning, the other bit that makes me cry is when Carl finds the 'Adventure book' :sad1: hehe

Emma princess: x

-Cabo Resort Beach Getaway (5 star resort, includes pools and beaches and mexican brunch buffet)

And for PUERTO VALLARTA:

-Outdoor Adventure (mule ride into sub-tropical forest, zip-lining, hiking, rappelling down waterfall)

The ones that are bolded are the ones we're seriously considering, but are just not sure yet. We KNOW we want to do something with beaches/water at any of the Ports. UGH DECISIONS! :sad2:

That's so great you're so close to booking everything!

Me personally, would pick the snorkeling for Cabo because I'm not much into hanging out a a resort pool. I'd rather be "doing" something. Not sure about Puerto Vallarta, I'd be afraid of bugs in the sub-tropical forest. I don't like horseback riding because every time I've done it the horse can "sense" that I'm not an experienced rider, and tries to mess with me. That's a tough choice, but I'm sure you'll end up doing something amazing!

Yes, I watched Up! this weekend. I have a love-hate relationship with that movie. It ALWAYS makes me teary in the very beginning, which I HATE! WHY start a movie off horrifically sad at the start!? But it's such a cute movie. :cutie:

So DH and I have some decisions to make in regards to excursions....LOTS of decisions but we have decided upon a few things:

1) On one of the Cabo San Lucas days(since we have 2 days there), we've decided to stay on the ship and either explore the ship OR do some type of spa treatments, whether it be the Spa Villa Treatments for two or individual treatments.

2) We both decided we would LIKE to go to Palo on Pirate Night. And I say like, because i'm not sure how the availability will look. Ideally, we would love it to be on Pirate Night, because on this last cruise, we weren't too fond of the menu. However, if that can't happen, any other night, besides the first and last, will do just fine. :thumbsup2

3) We will be doing at least 2 tasting seminars. Definitely the tequila/margarita tasting again (we ARE in Mexico after all :dance3: <---my Mexican hat dance!) and not sure on the other one we'll be doing. I heard the beer one was pretty good, but again, we'll look at all the offerings.

Now, we only have 13 days until we can book excursions, dining, and spa. We are having some MAJOR troubles with the Port excursions though. We just don't know what to do.

And for PUERTO VALLARTA:

OK, I have some advice for you, regarding your excursions (I hope you don't mind). Of the 2 you bolded for Cabo San Lucas, I would do the snorkeling one. My reasoning behind this...you are hoping to get a WONDERful souvenir out of this cruise...which means that for a certain number of years on cruises, you would be a little more limited as far as what you do during excursions. The beach resort day could easily be done with kids, so if it were me, I would save that one for when I have kids. For Puerto Vallarta, the Outdoor Adventure (with the sub-tropical rain forest and zip-lining) would be a great complement to the snorkeling in Cabo, since it is a different type of excursion, with different activities, but again, still something very adventurous that you wouldn't be able to do with a small child. That way, you get awesome variety between both ports, and you get to do a lot of fun, adventurous activities! :thumbsup2

And by the way, I didn't get it in the movie UP! either...why they had the make it so darn sad at the beginning...but then it did pick up and had some funny parts. I found that movie to be very touching! ;)

Subbing (said in Charlie Sheen's "Winning!" voice)! :lmao:

I loved your Dream TR (I'll be boarding the Dream two Sundays from now and your TR gave me lots of good info), so count me in this time around, too!

Congrats on your decision to "expand the brand" (I love that, by the way). That's exciting! If everything goes well, you can make baby little things to wear that say "Made in DCL." :lmao:

Oh my GOODNESS! Seriously, the GREATEST idea EVER!!! Now i'm really going to be trying! :rotfl:

And yay for your cruise! Aren't you so glad you missed hurricane Irene?! I was reading how they shut down CC for a bit and some of the cruises had to do 2 days at Nassau. I would not be happy with that, however that would give me more ship time I suppose :teacher: Hope you have an awesome time! :yay:

wow there are some exciting excursions on your cruise! The sea safari & outdoor adventure look good :goodvibes

I cry a lot in "Up" too! ... when we first saw it at the cinema, I wasn't prepared at all and came out with red eyes & mascara down my cheeks! :rotfl: ... apart from the beginning, the other bit that makes me cry is when Carl finds the 'Adventure book' :sad1: hehe

Emma princess: x

There are TOO many excursions to choose from, IMO. Unlike the 5 night Bahamian, there was always 1 or 2 that stood out from the rest, which made it easy, however this one is difficult.

And I have to say, it's going to be ALL YOUR FAULT, if we decide to do the Spa Villa Treatment. :rotfl2:;)

Oh yes! I cried at the adventure part too. DH watched that part with me and he said, "If I saw that (referring to the "now have your own adventure on the bottom of the page in the book) I would have lost it." Up is unlike any other Disney movie. It's so raw and real but wonderful. :)

That's so great you're so close to booking everything!

Me personally, would pick the snorkeling for Cabo because I'm not much into hanging out a a resort pool. I'd rather be "doing" something. Not sure about Puerto Vallarta, I'd be afraid of bugs in the sub-tropical forest. I don't like horseback riding because every time I've done it the horse can "sense" that I'm not an experienced rider, and tries to mess with me. That's a tough choice, but I'm sure you'll end up doing something amazing!

I know! I can't believe we're going to be booking in 2 weeks! :banana: DH and I don't live anywhere near anything exciting where we can zip line or ride a mule, so I know he's leaning more towards the Outdoor adventure in PV. But I want to do something like snorkeling/beaches in Cabo.

I printed out everything and am going to show him tonight so we can decide for sure.

OK, I have some advice for you, regarding your excursions (I hope you don't mind). Of the 2 you bolded for Cabo San Lucas, I would do the snorkeling one. My reasoning behind this...you are hoping to get a WONDERful souvenir out of this cruise...which means that for a certain number of years on cruises, you would be a little more limited as far as what you do during excursions. The beach resort day could easily be done with kids, so if it were me, I would save that one for when I have kids. For Puerto Vallarta, the Outdoor Adventure (with the sub-tropical rain forest and zip-lining) would be a great complement to the snorkeling in Cabo, since it is a different type of excursion, with different activities, but again, still something very adventurous that you wouldn't be able to do with a small child. That way, you get awesome variety between both ports, and you get to do a lot of fun, adventurous activities! :thumbsup2

And by the way, I didn't get it in the movie UP! either...why they had the make it so darn sad at the beginning...but then it did pick up and had some funny parts. I found that movie to be very touching! ;)

Great points Bonnie! :thumbsup2 I just told Alison that DH was really leaning towards the Outdoor Adventure in PV because we don't have anything exciting like that near us. And it sounds pretty exhilarating! (plus we get a little workout, which is always good in my book :yay:)

Up is a very different movie. I remember when the movie first came out, I had read some threads about how this wasn't 'child-friendly' because of the real life events that played out in the movie (death, not being able to have children) I think this movie really geared towards both adults and children, which I loved.

Great points Bonnie! :thumbsup2 I just told Alison that DH was really leaning towards the Outdoor Adventure in PV because we don't have anything exciting like that near us. And it sounds pretty exhilarating! (plus we get a little workout, which is always good in my book :yay:)

Up is a very different movie. I remember when the movie first came out, I had read some threads about how this wasn't 'child-friendly' because of the real life events that played out in the movie (death, not being able to have children) I think this movie really geared towards both adults and children, which I loved.

It's always nice to do something on vacation that you can't do at home! :thumbsup2

I took DS6 to see UP in the movies when it came out (DS4 was too little to go to the movies and stayed home with DH). My son LOVED it! Yes, it had some "real life" situations in it, but I wouldn't go as far to say that it is not child-friendly. Just that we each enjoyed the movie in our own way, and for different reasons. DS6 loved the dog, the little boy, and the fact that they made the house fly with balloons...you know, the whimsy of it all! I loved how the man never gave up their dreams even long after his wife was gone. I thought it was a good balance to try and please both adults and children. Plus, I am not afraid to teach my kids about the real world as it happens around us...I feel like it will make them more well-rounded individuals as they grow up, instead of being too sheltered.

OOOOHHHH that Outdoor Adventure sounds so awesome! It combines the ziplining and the riding! AND rapelling down a waterfall!!!! how awesome is that! And for the other the ATV would be pretty awesome. I was going to pick the Cabo Canopy Adventure but if you do the Outdoor Adventure you could do both with that one and do something different at the other port. Oh man, I still have 122 days until I can book mine :( I'm so jealous!

I've been worried about dinner on Pirate night also. But we want to dress up, so that means staying for dinner I guess. I'm thinking if we don't like the food that much we can always get pizza or sandwhiches afterwards.

Yep, that movie gets me every time. But I love Doug, that dog was created brilliantly!

I would love to do those excursions. I would have a very hard time picking which ones to do also. I think the Outdoor Adventure sounds so much fun and would probably be a good one to do because there seems to be a lot to do in one excursion. Also you can take the Zip lining excursion off in Cabo San Lucas if you do this one. I can't wait to see which ones you pick to do.

Joining in for most of your fun!! Cant wait to see what this trips plans are?? Half the fun is the planning.

OOOOHHHH that Outdoor Adventure sounds so awesome! It combines the ziplining and the riding! AND rapelling down a waterfall!!!! how awesome is that! And for the other the ATV would be pretty awesome. I was going to pick the Cabo Canopy Adventure but if you do the Outdoor Adventure you could do both with that one and do something different at the other port. Oh man, I still have 122 days until I can book mine :( I'm so jealous!

I've been worried about dinner on Pirate night also. But we want to dress up, so that means staying for dinner I guess. I'm thinking if we don't like the food that much we can always get pizza or sandwhiches afterwards.

Yep, that movie gets me every time. But I love Doug, that dog was created brilliantly!

This is what I was thinking, because I kinda want to get dressed up for Pirate night: If i'm lucky enough to secure a Palo ressie for that night, I want to make it an early dinner reservation. Like 6 or so, so that we can go back to the room and change (if we feel like it) and still be able to join in on the Pirate festivities and of COURSE the Dessert Buffet! :woohoo: Can NOT miss the dessert buffet. But like you said, I can just grab a burger or pizza if I don't get Palo on that night and still find myself hungry after dinner...or I can just load up on sugar, carbs, and fats (aka DESSERT BUFFET! :rotfl:) Can you tell i'm obsessed with desserts?! :rotfl2:

I would love to do those excursions. I would have a very hard time picking which ones to do also. I think the Outdoor Adventure sounds so much fun and would probably be a good one to do because there seems to be a lot to do in one excursion. Also you can take the Zip lining excursion off in Cabo San Lucas if you do this one. I can't wait to see which ones you pick to do.

I'm having one HECK of a time picking! Especially now that I heard that Puerto Vallarta may have better beaches than Cabo :sad2::confused: I was definitely planning on doing a beach at Cabo but now i'm not sure.

:guilty: waaah!

Joining in for most of your fun!! Cant wait to see what this trips plans are?? Half the fun is the planning.

DEFINITELY agree with you there! I love planning for all my trips and seeing them unfold perfectly (some of the time) :thumbsup2

There MAY have been a policy change regarding alcohol that you bring on board! :scared1::headache::mad:

So the new change is you can only bring one bottle of wine or champagne (750 ml) OR 6 bottles (12 ounces) of beer per person that is 21 years or older. :headache:

This DEFINITELY changes some things. I was really counting on bring some liquor so that it would free up more money to spend on other things like souvies, etc.

I've been keeping an eye out on that thread for the past couple days, and I guess there have been LOTS of calls and emails regarding how disappointed people are in the policy change. In fact, one guy just got a response from someone over at DCL, and said that they may be REVERSING this new policy?! :confused3 So now i'm not sure what's going on.

I TRULY hope this policy is not enforced. It's not that i'm trying to get wasted or to appear like i'm a drunkard, but DH and I enjoy our wine at dinner, and the markup for wine on the cruise is RIDICULOUS! Why can't we bring our own wine that is of good quality (in our opinion) and at a good cost? Can't DCL see that the majority of people will still partake in their alcohol? PLUS, by people bringing their own alcohol, this frees up their budget to buy more souvies, spa treatments, excursions, etc on the ship itself!

Well, guess we'll have to wait and see...

"I hate wait."

Princess Bride.

I know what you mean regarding wine on cruises. NCL didn't allow people to bring liquor onboard...well, there was one thing they allowed...wine, but there was one catch. There was a corkage fee, something like $20 per bottle...even if you brought your own cork! So, what was the point? :confused3 Last year and the year before, my parents and sister sailed on Carnival and they allowed something likea bottle of wine per adult 21 and older, no fee. Not sure if they still do that now, but they did as recently as August 2010.

Regarding dessert buffets, GO FOR IT!!! I can totally relate, as you know pretty well by now that I love my desserts too! Heck, there's a cupcake thread over on the restaurants boards, and I have been following it...and even though some pics are repeats of cupcakes I have already seen, I can't stop obsessing! I'm in trouble next July with the Boardwalk Bakery right there...just like last summer! :laughing:

And speaking of desserts, I have one for you that is very easy to make, and not too bad for you. It's only 3 points on Weight Watchers, to give you an idea (half a cup of regular ice cream is usually around 4 or 5 points, as an example). Here goes:

Take one banana, and slice it into 1/2" slices. Heat 2 tsp. of butter or canola oil (I used canola oil and added some Smart Balance spray) on medium heat. When oil is hot, add the banana slices in a single layer. Increase heat to medium high, and sprinkle 1 tbsp. brown sugar on the banana slices. Cook bananas for 4 to 5 minutes, gently flipping each slice over in the middle of cooking time. Shut off heat, remove bananas and place in a dessert dish. Then, add a little milk (or non-dairy creamer) to the leftover caramelized sugar in the pan. Heat on medium, whisking constantly, until it is boiling...whisk until completely blended. Option: At this point, you can whisk in a little cocoa powder, but you can leave as caramel and it is delicious too! Pour the sauce over bananas in dessert dish. Delicious! :love:

Of course, you can add whipped cream, ice cream, nuts, whatever you like! I had this for dessert yesterday, over a small brownie I made (during the hurricane!), since I had points left. It was wonderful!

I know what you mean regarding wine on cruises. NCL didn't allow people to bring liquor onboard...well, there was one thing they allowed...wine, but there was one catch. There was a corkage fee, something like $20 per bottle...even if you brought your own cork! So, what was the point? :confused3 Last year and the year before, my parents and sister sailed on Carnival and they allowed something likea bottle of wine per adult 21 and older, no fee. Not sure if they still do that now, but they did as recently as August 2010.

Regarding dessert buffets, GO FOR IT!!! I can totally relate, as you know pretty well by now that I love my desserts too! Heck, there's a cupcake thread over on the restaurants boards, and I have been following it...and even though some pics are repeats of cupcakes I have already seen, I can't stop obsessing! I'm in trouble next July with the Boardwalk Bakery right there...just like last summer! :laughing:

And speaking of desserts, I have one for you that is very easy to make, and not too bad for you. It's only 3 points on Weight Watchers, to give you an idea (half a cup of regular ice cream is usually around 4 or 5 points, as an example). Here goes:

Take one banana, and slice it into 1/2" slices. Heat 2 tsp. of butter or canola oil (I used canola oil and added some Smart Balance spray) on medium heat. When oil is hot, add the banana slices in a single layer. Increase heat to medium high, and sprinkle 1 tbsp. brown sugar on the banana slices. Cook bananas for 4 to 5 minutes, gently flipping each slice over in the middle of cooking time. Shut off heat, remove bananas and place in a dessert dish. Then, add a little milk (or non-dairy creamer) to the leftover caramelized sugar in the pan. Heat on medium, whisking constantly, until it is boiling...whisk until completely blended. Option: At this point, you can whisk in a little cocoa powder, but you can leave as caramel and it is delicious too! Pour the sauce over bananas in dessert dish. Delicious! :love:

Of course, you can add whipped cream, ice cream, nuts, whatever you like! I had this for dessert yesterday, over a small brownie I made (during the hurricane!), since I had points left. It was wonderful!

A CUPCAKE THREAD?! Off to find it as soon as I post this. I LOVE cupcakes and I used to make them on a weekly basis (I have this GREAT cookbook called "Cupcakes!" by Elinor Klivans and goodness are there some great recipes in there. If you ever go to the library you should check it out.) I'm really fond of Bethenny Frankel too who uses a lot of natural, healthy ingredients (lots of whole wheat flour, raw sugar, no butter, no egg type recipes) and I have to say, her method helped me lose the few extra pounds a few months before the cruise without having to deprive myself of sweets. Ugh, now that I brought the Cupcakes! cookbook out, i'm looking through it, i'm looking at the time, and thinking, "I have PLENTY of time to whip up some cupcakes!" Dang you Bonnie! ;)

Oh my, that sounds delicious! And sounds super easy! Another recipe to add to my Recipes document..I think you've supplied me with 5 or 6 recipes now, so thank you! :worship:

It might work out perfectly if you can't get Palo, only because you might not have room for the fabulous dessert buffet if you have all the delicious Palo food. So many people have said the buffet looks fabulous but they just don't have any room left. Can't wait to see pictures of it all!

How bizarre about the new alcohol rule, I wonder if they feel like they're loosing money with people brining their own on board? I love that you keep prefacing that subject with guarantees that you're not lushes! Too funny! :rotfl: We all know you what you mean :) I completely agree, DCL charges an arm and a leg for drinks! You must save as much as possible for other extras!

It might work out perfectly if you can't get Palo, only because you might not have room for the fabulous dessert buffet if you have all the delicious Palo food. So many people have said the buffet looks fabulous but they just don't have any room left. Can't wait to see pictures of it all!

How bizarre about the new alcohol rule, I wonder if they feel like they're loosing money with people brining their own on board? I love that you keep prefacing that subject with guarantees that you're not lushes! Too funny! :rotfl: We all know you what you mean :) I completely agree, DCL charges an arm and a leg for drinks! You must save as much as possible for other extras!

I had seen some pictures of the Mexican Riviera Dessert Buffet during Pirate Night, and OH MY! It looks insanely good! :banana::cloud9:

:rotfl2::rotfl:@ the bolded! As I was writing that post out I was thinking, "Hmm, wonder if people are going to think I have some type of problem if I can't get my booze." Then I thought, "Well, if I pointed out that I don't have a problem, people are going to think that she's in denial about having a problem." Then I realized I was thinking WAY too much! :lmao: They do charge OUTRAGEOUS prices. I wouldn't be so upset if they lowered the prices of the drinks a little bit, or offered more 'deals' like 2 for 1 or something.

:rotfl2: I am laughing so hard!!! can't stop laughing!!! just like Tickle Me Elmo when he's on his belly hitting the floor with his hand laughing :lmao: you are just so funny!!! (i can hear myself doing the same thing, no worries) :)

I know they have the 'drink of the day' that costs less than the usual drinks. I think you have to save your resusable cup though. I know for certain I've read people getting two for one deals some days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter