Mickey's BBQ and Campfire Movies~our experiences

halfway there

DIS Veteran
We have just returned and must give high marks to these two events! I received invaluable info from this forum so I wanted to return the favor after having tried both the BBQ and the movie.

We picked up our tickets to the BBQ right after checking in at CSR. We took a bus to MK but the driver dropped us at CR for my sister's ressies at CM. ;) We took the launch from there to Ft. Wilderness. I loaded up the kids with bug spray as they seem to be especially sensitive. We walked up the path to the pavilion and gave our name to the first CM we saw with a clipboard. ;)

We proceeded to have our picture taken and then joined others in a fairly short line. We were there about an hour ahead of schedule so dh took the kids over to the petting zoo. It was extremely hot but fortunately not raining so I was happy. The kids, however, were not! They hate waiting and their obsessively punctual mother wanted to get there early!! Big mistake!:rolleyes:

After what seemed like an eternity of complaining from the kids, the characters came out to the line for pics and autographs. Then they came around with the wristbands for the adults who would be drinking. I must be getting old 'cause they didn't even look at my ID! :rolleyes:

Then very quickly we were herded in to the corral and directed to several buffet type tables laden with food! They had hotdogs, chicken, ribs with extra sauce in separate bowls, mac'n'cheese, potato salad, cornbread and baked beans. We found our way to long picnic tables lined up under this large covered pavilion. There seemed to be plenty of room and tons of food!

After getting the kids settled we went for beer! They had Coors Light and Miller Lite, also wine. We didn't pick the right section because it was waaaay over in the opposite corner! This would prove our undoing as they ran out of Coors and substituted Bud and Bud Light within the first hour! :( There was also lemonade, ice tea and water available at both ends and watermelon and corn on the cob near us in the other corner.

We got pics of all the characters except Mickey because the line was too long! We got Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale. They had music throughout and dancing later but by then we had left for the movie!

All in all, we had a really good time and the food was plentiful and hearty. It was a bit overcast and the ceiling fans really seemed to do their job at keeping the heat at bay. It filled up pretty well but I couldn't guess how many were there. It didn't seem overly crowded to me tho'. :D

The movie was Jungle Book that night. We took a yellow bus that dropped us in the middle of nowhere and followed some man through the pool area to the Campfire. We bought one S'mores kit for about $5 and that lasted all three kids for the night!

I loved this experience and think everyone should try it, especially if you're right there at Ft Wilderness. There's no excuse not to! I think I would even try camping just to be able to do this again! Well, maybe a cabin would do! ;)

Thanks to all who helped in the info-gathering phase of this trip! Any questions??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter