Microsoft to replace AT&T at SE?; Innoventions losing sponsors?

raidermatt

Be water, my friend.
There's two new pieces today on Screamscape, both regarding Epcot.

(Remember, these are rumors....)

First, Spaceship Earth maybe losing its AT&T sponsorship, though Microsoft maybe a replacement.

They also mention an influx of capital for Epcot, as well as he possibility of changing how guests get into WS at night, both which several others reported here a couple of weeks ago (sorry, can't remember who it was, though I know Scoop and AV were involved).

The author also offers multiple ideas for Epcot expansion/improvment.

The other piece concerns Innoventions and the loss of several sponsors there. The author speculates that this maybe the beginning of the end for Innoventions.

I'd be more than happy to see Innoventions replaced with some kind of actual attraction(s) (at least one of the pavilions).

Screamscape 8/16

Isn't the whole concept of Spaceship earth all about communication throughout the ages? With phones and video phones etc.? Wouldn't dropping AT&T for Microsoft require a complete rethinking of the attraction? Which begs the question... what exactly did they change when they shut down Spaceship Earth a few years back for a year? Last time I was on it, it was still the same animatronix maniquins with outfits straight out of the early '80s (little more than Casousel of Progress in a moving vehicle).

Raul/Mop

Perhaps the ending could be reworked a bit to focus more in internet communication and information exchange, but the rest could probably exist as is. Microsoft would gut the New Global Neighborhood and completely re-do it, of course.

My guess is that the use of computer software technology would be the focus of the last portion of the attraction. I think this could be pulled off while staying well within the boundaries of the "communication" theme.

As for the other half of the rumor. I still haven't seen any potential description of re-working the FW & WS operating hours relationship that sounds good. The thought of a "gate" between the two lands gives me stomach aches.

I can see what Pressler might be imagining with World Showcase. It is, in essense, an international Downtown Disney. 90% of it is shops and restaurants. You've got minimal rides and attractions. Why are we being charged admission to a park so we can go shopping and eating? The mentality at the Walt Disney Co. may truly be to segregate it entirely from Future World. Maybe even make FW "all" Epcot and WS would become an accessory, with free access (like the Boardwalk). But then that would beg the question of what to do with the attractions that are still there?

- Canada's been whining about wanting to change the film in their pavillion. Instead, shut it down.

- The Mexico river ride... is that still open? There's been talk of reimagineering it into a "3 Caballeros" attraction for years. Again, just shut it down.

- The American Experience? That's a bit of a headache. You can't shut down something that popular and you can't really move it. Charge seperate admission, then (think "DisneyQuest" or "Pleasure Island" at Downtown Disney).

- The Maelstrom... a headache, as well. There's no good reason to shut it down. Again, charge seperate admission.

Mind you, these aren't my opinions but rather an inkly (a wild guess) of where the Walt Disney Co. may be going with this whole WS thing.

Raul/Mop

Bill Gates & Michael Eisner. Hmm, both are bent on devouring the world. The thought of Billy Boy possibly taking over Disney is reason for waking up screaming in cold sweats. I'll read the page & post a response afterwords.

Hmmm....

Gee, a theme park that's mostly shops and restaurants with a few attractions added to the mix as a "draw"...

Sounds like Disney's World Adventure.

Nah, they wouldn't possibly do something like that, would they????

AV, I get your point but, come on, DCA has more attractions than WS, doesn't it?

More thoughts on this. If the scenario is true, wouldn't that likely be the end of Tapestry and Illuminations? Those have to be expensive and would no longer be directly supported by revenue. Also, wouldn't we see a reduction in the live World Showcase entertainment for the same reason?

What would this change do to the relative value of Epcot as just Future World. Currently, the only way to get to FW is with paid admission to Epcot. So, it's part of the value equation. Take that way and are you left with enough to justify a ticket to Epcot? That puts serious downward pressure on demand for Epcot and thus revenue.

Continuing that cycle, downward revenue pressure would likely prevent additional capital to bring FW up to the status of a full park.

Thinking and typing... could FW be built out to be a full park? How many more pavillions would need to be added? Is there room? By Disney definition, is it a full park already? Is this all just rumor hooey?

...Sounds like Disney's World Adventure...

Oh dear god, no. For Walt's sake, no. Please, Mr. Ei$ner, I'll pay back all the money I stole reusing my refillable mugs, if you please don't do this. Please!

The whole seperate FW/WS idea seems unfeasable to me, but who am I, other than a consumer - but they don't count any more.

What about the Candlelight Processional - possibly the best show in all of WDW - what would they do with that.

There are too many issues to resolve to make WS a free international Downtown Disney thing. A seperate gate? Talk about your 1/4 day parks :p. Spend lots of money on new pavillions and rides? Doesn't seem likely. FW can't stand alone as a seperate gate either.

Scoop, that's not what the rumor states. FW would not be a gated admission, rather a freebie.

On a more positive note is this comment
Word is going around that some major capital that was once reserved for a future 5th park will be dropped into fixing Epcot
Since none of us expect a 5th gate anytime soon (nor advocate it), the fact that there is even a rumor that the spot in the longterm capital spending budget this park was placeholding could get reinvested into Epcot (and DAK?) is nice to hear for a change.

I trust Scoop's word over most rumors.

larworth: I thought the same thing when I read that. It was good to see.

gcurling, there is plenty of live entertainment on Disney's Boardwalk at night (or at least there used to be the last time I was there). And there's some live entertainment around Downtown Disney (even outside Pleasure Island). So even if WS were not an admission-based attraction, Disney could still provide some live entertainment (at least, there's precedent for it).

Raul/Mop

“And please folks I hope nobody suggests a parking lot behind Germany because that wouldn't work on any logistical level.”

Of course that would be silly. Much too long of a walk to the new gate in place of the Millennium tent.

Or so I’ve heard. I guess some people are just at different tables…

P.S. - According to rumor, certain people are already saying that Future World by itself will be a "full day" park when 'Mission: Space' opens.

that be the straw for me. aruba? cancun? TDS? think i would stay at home and mourn. tell my kids how good it used to be. and then be critized for sayin it was better back in the day lolololololol

man i wanna cry

DR wants to know if ATT drops SE will that stay on at DL Indiana Jones attraction (I don't remember them being the sponser, but I'll defer to him). Anyone have any ideas?

On a side note, I never could figure out why ATT settled for so little when they sponsored Indy at Disneyland. All they got were a few signs along the exit path which, as Melissa has demostrated, nobody even notices. They haven't even kept the signs current. They all refer to their True Rewards program that was discontinued long ago.

AT&T used to sponsor a card which was given out to the guests as the first entered the temple queue. The front of the card “decoded” the alphabet used inside so the guests could read all the inscriptions and warnings as they waited in line. The back of the card was an ad for AT&T products.

P.S. - Mr. Raidermatt, let's put this one about a 3.5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter