Might cruise from Miami for the first time...

matheke

DIS Veteran
Might cruise from Miami for the first time, all five previous Cruise were out of Port Canaveral. I am looking for some advice on the following:

1. If we fly in the night before, where would you recommend as a good Hotel to stay? Near Airport?

2. I am guessing we would by transfers from Disney from the airport to the ship. Is there a better option?

Just looking for information about getting to a from the ship. I am sure the Covid procedures will be similar to what we went through last month at PC.

Thanks

If you do want to use DCL transfers to the ship, then you need to book one of their three partner hotels through Disney or through your travel agent. There is an additional fee for transportation. Or, you can get DCL transportation from MIA airport.

Anything in the Blue Lagoon area will be fine and all, or almost all, have free airport shuttles.

I think the DCL transfers from MIA are $21 per person round trip. A taxi from MIA to POM is a flat $27. Lyft/Uber would probably be less than that at most times.

For comparison, my travel agent quoted me the following costs when I asked about this a few weeks ago.

Four Seasons or Hyatt: $63 per person MIA -> Hotel -> Port; $84 per person MIA -> Hotel -> Port -> MIA
EB Hotel Miami: $42 per person MIA -> Hotel -> Port; $42 per person MIA -> Hotel -> Port -> MIA

I guess the second EB price might be an error, but I don't know for sure.

FYI just Uber'd literally today from cruise terminal to MIA airport, family of 4 UberXL in a Honda Odyssey with 2 car seats and various bags for $32.77+tip (total, not per person). Wandered out after collecting bags around 0900, ordered Uber and there were like eleventy sitting there in the taxi lot, no wait.

It's also going to make a difference if you're flying into MIA vs. FLL. It was much much cheaper and direct for us to fly into FLL.

We just disembarked the Magic in Miami today.
We stayed at the EB Hotel but didn't book through DCL; we had Chase UR points to pay for it. It was a huge room and very nice hotel, way nicer than a typical airport hotel. They offer a free shuttle pick up from MIA. Amazingly gigantic shower for 2 with 2 shower heads and side sprinklers. It had a European feeling to it; I felt like I was in Barcelona again. We packed oatmeal packets so we didn't eat at their restaurant and can't comment on it.

We Uber'd to the port for around $36. We used Larry's Limo service (sedan) to return to MIA after disembarking mainly because I wasn't sure how long of a wait we might have with Uber and we had a 10:00am flight so I really wanted a driver outside waiting for us. It all worked out perfectly with still an hour sitting at the gate by doing Express Walk Off from the ship. No line at customs and breezed right through. We landed in Philly around 12:30 and were eating lunch at home by 2. We could never do such an early flight from PC.
Larry's was wonderful and the car was super plush but I would only use them if flying into FLL or needing to go a longer distance. Uber was so quick and easy, even if the driver didn't speak a lick of English. His driving was great and I'm a nevous passenger so that's saying a lot.

Port of Miami isn't so warm and fuzzy as PC but we were really missing the Magic and was willing to go where ever she was sailing.

we had a 10:00am flight so I really wanted a driver outside waiting for us. It all worked out perfectly with still an hour sitting at the gate by doing Express Walk Off from the ship.
Were you stressed about missing your flight the whole morning? Our airline just changed our flight time from 11 am (which I was already not happy with but my other option was 7pm) to 10:10am. It's our first cruise and our first time flying into Miami.

Also, we are booked at the Comfort Suites near the airport for around $180/night--there's a free shuttle from the airport and to the port, plus free breakfast. The reviews seem to have really gone down hill since covid, but that seems to be happening every where.

We are booked into the Comfort Suites on the 19th as well. Free shuttles! I just hope there’s somewhere we can buy wine as I don’t think we will fit it in our luggage

Were you stressed about missing your flight the whole morning? Our airline just changed our flight time from 11 am (which I was already not happy with but my other option was 7pm) to 10:10am. It's our first cruise and our first time flying into Miami.

Also, we are booked at the Comfort Suites near the airport for around $180/night--there's a free shuttle from the airport and to the port, plus free breakfast. The reviews seem to have really gone down hill since covid, but that seems to be happening every where.
For a first cruise, I don’t think I’d be so brave. We have a lot of cruising experience and our children are grown so we have a good routine that is simple and we know what to expect and what is expected of us.
When you cruise, not just on DCL, usually you put your luggage outside your door the last night onboard and it gets collected and put inside the cruise terminal and you retrieve it after disembarking the ship. With children, it’s hard to pack light. Being new to cruising it may be hard to pack light.
If your family is physically able to handle all of your own luggage with no assistance, DCL offers Express Walk Off at 7:30 am. So we scheduled a 7:45am ground transportation pick up to take us to the airport.
Also there is no room service that last morning so we order a pot of coffee the night before and wrap it in 3 towels and a blanket and it’s still hot when we wake up at 5:30am.
I keep some packs of Raisin Bran in the room with bowl and spoon, and some milk in the fridge for a quickie in-cabin breakfast.
My point is, this isn’t what most people do their last morning.
Doing things how we did may be extremely stressful for you.

Might cruise from Miami for the first time, all five previous Cruise were out of Port Canaveral. I am looking for some advice on the following:

1. If we fly in the night before, where would you recommend as a good Hotel to stay? Near Airport?

2. I am guessing we would by transfers from Disney from the airport to the ship. Is there a better option?

Just looking for information about getting to a from the ship. I am sure the Covid procedures will be similar to what we went through last month at PC.

Thanks
we just finished our first cruise from Miami as well. WE flew into Fort Lauderdale, then urber to the Hyatt down town $92.00. Next morning urber to port. Covid Procedure; given a bag with a vile, put name on it then sent to area for test, then proceed to waiting area for result, little stressful!! 30-45 min wait the reservation number comes up on TV screen and your safe passage app. and then free to check in.

If you do decide on staying the night in Miami, do not stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. Needs renovating and when we checked in on Friday (stayed on the 11th floor) no hot water to be had. Saturday morning no cold water!!! Even the toilet was flushing HOT water. I am not exaggerating. My daughter was trying to wash her hair and was literally getting scalded. I was trying to get cups of cold water from the sink faucet to try and help, but nope - didn't work. And no I didn't call the front desk as we were trying to get out there as we had an early port arrival. I did write a scathing review on the survey I received from Marriott and explained this was not the Marriott accomodations I was used to.

We're booked for a trip from Miami in October, really looking forward to it. I understand most of the hotels around the port will have shuttles so the part that I'm trying to figure out now is the trip from Miami to WDW after we leave the ship. We want to spend a few days at the parks after. Anyone have ideas?

We usually stay at the Airport Embassy. Pickup from airport is hit or miss (supposed to be every 1/2 hour) but local area taxi is flat $16. Good breakfast and steak at the bar is plenty for the two of us. We normally take the hotel-contracted shuttle to the port, $8pp a month ago. When we had a Disney stay after a cruise in August we got a car at the airport and drove to Orlando. Since Disney charges for parking at the resorts there is really no significant advantage to staying on-site (the 1/2 hour early entry isn't enough).

Thanks

We just got back last night from a cruise (Not Disney, Virgin) out of Miami - first time we’ve been out of Miami on a cruise. When I was researching where to stay the night before the cruise, I looked up on DCL website who they use for hotels, and went with the EB Hotel, it was great! They are, like, five minutes from the airport, free shuttle. They said to go to the shuttle p/up area outside the airport and call them to pick you up, it’s 24/7 shuttle. They were very nice. The room was clean with an awesome shower. We got a great government/military rate, if that applies to you. My only complaint was the lighting in the bathroom was terrible for doing makeup:laughing:
Uber to the port was $25+tip for the two of us in a comfort car. Waited five minutes. Our driver each way did not speak English, so no conversation was had lol, but they both were great. Waited about 10 minutes for the pick up after the cruise.
I would stay there again.

We're booked for a trip from Miami in October, really looking forward to it. I understand most of the hotels around the port will have shuttles so the part that I'm trying to figure out now is the trip from Miami to WDW after we leave the ship. We want to spend a few days at the parks after. Anyone have ideas?
Rent a car and hop on the Turnpike. Or you can fly.

Did you end up staying at Comfort suites near the airport? If so, how was it and the shuttle, and which one- there are 2. We are trying to decide!

We are booked into the Comfort Suites on the 19th as well. Free shuttles! I just hope there’s somewhere we can buy wine as I don’t think we will fit it in our luggage
How was the Comfort? And which one was it? There are 2 airport ones and they both have shuttles so I am trying to decide which one!

Did you end up staying at Comfort suites near the airport? If so, how was it and the shuttle, and which one- there are 2. We are trying to decide!
I cancelled due to negative reviews. We ended up staying at the Hampton Inn-Blue Lagoon. They have a free shuttle from the airport that picks up on the hour. They offer a paid shuttle to the port for $11/person (I think, could have been $12) with the first pickup time at 11am. We took an uber since our PAT was 10:45. (The uber XL was under $45 with tip) There are several restaurants within walking distance, as well as, a Publix, drugstore, liquor store and Burlington. The only negative was the pool was outdoors--we arrived 1/30 during a cold snap in Miami. There was no way we were swimming outside if it was 60.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter