Mildly surprised by Ancestry DNA results...

Mine showed me the exact ethnic background I expected. But I've been doing paper genealogy for 30 years now, so the only real way I would have found surprises is if there was an unexpected father or an unknown adoption in my ancestral line that I was unaware of. I had already uncovered things like that in terms of cousins, so I felt pretty sure that if there had been that would directly affect me, I may have had an inkling by the time I did the DNA testing anyway. But it showed the ethnic backgrounds I expected and it gave me DNA matches along every major branch of my tree, so it appears that my ancestors on paper truly were my biological ancestors as well.

I thought we had a real scandal in my family. A lady contacted me saying that we were first cousins. Considering that I knew all of my first cousins, I was a little surprised. Then I remembered that my grandfather was quite the scoundrel and had had affairs. I kept thinking that I was glad my father had passed because he wouldn’t have been happy to know that he had a half sibling that my grandfather hadn’t acknowledged. After talking with this “first cousin” we solved the mystery. Our grandmothers were identical twins, so the DNA was so close that it looked like we were first cousins. Whew! 🤣
We did have a little scandal in our family. My grandmother and grandfather on my mother's side were in the family way when they got married. Through 23 and Me, I met and talked to a second cousin on my grandfather's side of the family who told me more about that. She said that my grandfather's family were really upset about that since they thought he was marrying down. Her family didn't own property and his did.

Surprisingly enough, they may come back pretty similar though in families where both the X and the Y chromosomes are traced. My brother and sister have both had theirs traced, and my brothers was of course through the Y chromosome, and my sisters through the X. However, both had very similar results overall, maybe a small difference on percentages in some areas, but not much different. :)

Don't they use the autosomal chromosomes too?

I was contacted about two years ago by a man that said I think I am your brother.
I am an only child so I had to call my mother and ask A tough question. She broke down and told me she gave a baby away for adoption because she was not ready to be a mom yet. When I told her that was the ultimate show of love for your child and no one is going to judge her... now my kids have a super cool uncle.

Pre DNA I was German & Irish. (My mom's family spoke German with English ASL)

Post DNA I am Swiss, Irish, and Spanish.

So, I have to ask, none of you were concerned that submitting your DNA could expose a family member as a criminal? We have several major cases here where police linked DNA information from the testing sites to relatives of those who submitted the DNA who committed crimes and left DNA behind.

Why should anyone be concerned? If a crime has been committed then the party responsible should be held accountable.

My Aunt spent years researching my family's ancestry. Traveled all over the world looking for records. Traced one line back to 1400's mid-Germany. Took a DNA test. Found out she's of mostly UK descent.

So, bit of a nasty shock for her.

So happy to find this thread. I received a DNA kit for Christmas and been debating should I send it in now with the virus taking place. Anyone had one done in the past few months? How long does it take to come back?

So, I have to ask, none of you were concerned that submitting your DNA could expose a family member as a criminal? We have several major cases here where police linked DNA information from the testing sites to relatives of those who submitted the DNA who committed crimes and left DNA behind.

Yes, this is exactly why I haven’t taken the test yet. Not that I want to protect any criminal family members, but I don’t want to be contacted, either by the police or by criminals. My family was accused of being a part of a certain Italian-Amercian subculture (any Johnny Sack fans?) I have a relation who was convicted of murder and when he was paroled our last name was in the newspapers, a teacher at school asked me about it in front of the other kids, and a lot of reporters kept calling my house trying to get a comment. It sucks to know you’re biologically related to someone capable of premeditated killing. Sometimes I look at the violence in my family’s history and wonder if we aren’t defective. Eventually I’ll probably get the test done but for now I just don’t want to risk opening myself up to any more drama.

One of the questions that comes up often concerns recent family history, and how the DNA results showing a totally different result could be true.

Example: In our family, one of my cousins spent a lot of time and effort researching our history. We all know our roots go back to Georgia in the 1800's, and she was actually able to trace them back to South Carolina in the early 1700's -- no easy task because Sherman destroyed many Georgia courthouses (and all records therein) in his scorched-earth march to the sea in the Civil War.

The history of Georgia is that it was largely settled by English people released from debtor prisons and sent to America to work off their debts as farmers. And of course, our family is from that area of Georgia where they were. However, the cousin traced a possible line to Switzerland in the early 1700's via SC. So from our last name (probably misspelled by illiterate debtor farmers), we settled on probably English and/or Swiss/German heritage.

My DNA test (Living DNA) came back 100% British Isles -- ~71% English, 19% Scottish, 10% Irish. And zero mention of anything in the US -- where we know for a fact we've been for almost 300 years, maybe longer!

But when I do Matching, the vast majority of my matches come back to the US. The rest are UK, with a few Canadian, Australian, and this flag which I have not been able to identify.

The reason given for this lack of recent ancestry is that they are not really looking for recent history. They trace ancient migrations, and they give the ancestry 5-10 centuries previously -- which for Americans, would be where our ancestors most likely immigrated from.

Last edited:
One of the questions that comes up often concerns recent family history, and how the DNA results showing a totally different result could be true.

Example: In our family, one of my cousins spent a lot of time and effort researching our history. We all know our roots go back to Georgia in the 1800's, and she was actually able to trace them back to South Carolina in the early 1700's -- no easy task because Sherman destroyed many Georgia courthouses (and all records therein) in his scorched-earth march to the sea in the Civil War.

The history of Georgia is that it was largely settled by English people released from debtor prisons and sent to America to work of their debts as farmers. And of course, our family is from that area of Georgia where they were. However, the cousin traced a possible line to Switzerland in the early 1700's via SC. So from our last name (probably misspelled by illiterate debtor farmers), we settled on probably English and/or Swiss/German heritage.

My DNA test (Living DNA) came back 100% British Isles -- ~71% English, 19% Scottish, 10% Irish. And zero mention of anything in the US -- where we know for a fact we've been for almost 300 years, maybe longer!

But when I do Matching, the vast majority of my matches come back to the US. The rest are UK, with a few Canadian, Australian, and this flag which I have not been able to identify.

View attachment 513524

The reason given for this lack of recent ancestry is that they are not really looking for recent history. They trace ancient migrations, and they give the ancestry 5-10 centuries previously -- which for Americans, would be where our ancestors most likely immigrated from.
Is that the flag of Malta?

Pre DNA I was German & Irish. (My mom's family spoke German with English ASL)

Post DNA I am Swiss, Irish, and Spanish.
I haven't taken the test, but my sister did. We also thought we were part German, because one grandmother had been raised in an orphanage and had a German last name although she also had Irish relatives. Nope, 99% Irish (my mom was born in Ireland, so we were pretty sure about that part)

There was a story about survivors of the Spanish armada ending up in Ireland. Perhaps you got some of their blood?

My mom's father died when she was very young and we have no information about his family. The DNA test turned up a 2nd cousin whose grandfather was a brother of his.

Now that’s an interesting ancestry to have! Only Arabic language written in a Latin script. Maybe you are descended from the Knights of St John?
Who knows? There are only a couple of matches on Malta.

I just went through all 44 pages of my matches and had one big surprise. As expected, the highest number of matches were US, followed by UK. However, the third most prevalent match country was NEW ZEALAND!

Also several Canadian and Australian, and a handful of real outliers -- 2 from Malta, one Singapore, and one Puerto Rico.

They, and those pesky Romans, both did a lot of invading. Surprisingly, tho, neither group did much marrying/interbreeding with the people they conquered.

Also, the Vikings were more raiders than invaders. They just went in, grabbed stuff, and left.

kinda thinking how I got Mongolian blood also

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter