Military Discount Ticketing Question

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
So we are bringing my parents with us this trip to Disney. My father is a Vietnam Vet.

He doesn't qualify for the Military Salute discount but should qualify for the Shades of Green discount tickets otherwise.

My question is, what forms of payment does Shades of Green accept for purchasing these tickets. Specifically, could we use Disney gift cards to make the purchase or is it cash/check/credit?

Thank you all!

Cash, Check or Credit Card. They are independent from Disney therefore cannot process Disney Cards.

You can buy these tickets at the gate, just like any other ticket, with Disney Gift Cards, but you are subjected to tax.

Also, your father has to have a government issued military ID that identifies him as retired military. You can't just "be a vet".

You can buy these tickets at the gate, just like any other ticket, with Disney Gift Cards, but you are subjected to tax.

Also, your father has to have a government issued military ID that identifies him as retired military. You can't just "be a vet".

The tickets I was specifically mentioning were for military members who had not retired through the military but were honorably discharged. He had purchased them before through the VA. I was just seeing if it was possible to purchase through Shades of Green with Disney gift cards.

If he is a veteran with proper identification then yes he does qualify for the Military Salute tickets. My husband and I go to the local Navy Base a buy them for our son all the time. You have to show ID when activating them though. If he does not have an ID to get on base, I recommend him getting one! ;)

If he is a veteran with proper identification then yes he does qualify for the Military Salute tickets. My husband and I go to the local Navy Base a buy them for our son all the time. You have to show ID when activating them though. If he does not have an ID to get on base, I recommend him getting one! ;)
I thought you had to retire within the military to qualify for the Military Salute tickets? He served one deployment in the Air Force during Vietnam.

ETA: I'm pretty sure he has military identification. I think he got it the last time he ordered tickets.

The tickets I was specifically mentioning were for military members who had not retired through the military but were honorably discharged. He had purchased them before through the VA. I was just seeing if it was possible to purchase through Shades of Green with Disney gift cards.

Nope. Sorry.

You may want to look into Costco or AAA tickets as well. Sometimes their tickets are as cheap/cheaper than the ones at Shades, and if you have a Costco in your area it would be easy to pick them up. Good luck to you.

I thought you had to retire within the military to qualify for the Military Salute tickets? He served one deployment in the Air Force during Vietnam.

ETA: I'm pretty sure he has military identification. I think he got it the last time he ordered tickets.
If he was honorably discharged and has paper work that he is a veteran and has ID for such then he can go on any base that sells them and buy them, then show that same ID at the gate to activate them!!

If he was honorably discharged and has paper work that he is a veteran and has ID for such then he can go on any base that sells them and buy them, then show that same ID at the gate to activate them!!
So even though he was Air Force, he could go to the Army base near us? I, clearly, know very little about the military and how it operates.

So even though he was Air Force, he could go to the Army base near us? I, clearly, know very little about the military and how it operates.

I just want to say I am retired Air Force (this March will be three years since retirement) and I was also the superintendent of the ID card section at one point. Just being a separated veteran alone does not qualify him to receive a military ID. I wouldn't waste your time going to an Army base (but yes if he is eligible for an ID card he can go to any military installation). My guess is if he was eligible for a military ID he would have had one by now.

My suggestion is to ask your father, specifically what documents he has. My guess is he has a DD Form 214 that specifically lists he is a honorably discharged veteran or a VA card. Then call Shades of Green and tell them what documentation he has and ask them if that would qualify him to purchase the tickets. Honestly, depending on what documents he has, he may not even be able to get through the gate at Shades of Greens to get to the ticket office as they DO check identification to get on property.

My husband was Army and we go to the local Navy and Air Force base all the time to purchase tickets. This is also where we update our ID cards. We have been to the Army base, but it is farther away. I do respect you and thank-you for your service NinaBella, but would like to add that even though they may have to check into the whole Shades of Green thing that as long as he does have an ID he can get on base and buy the tickets....

My husband was Army and we go to the local Navy and Air Force base all the time to purchase tickets. This is also where we update our ID cards. We have been to the Army base, but it is farther away. I do respect you and thank-you for your service NinaBella, but would like to add that even though they may have to check into the whole Shades of Green thing that as long as he does have an ID he can get on base and buy the tickets....

Yes, if he has an ID. The OP didn't indicate that he had an ID. That is why I suggested OP ask dad exactly what documents he has. At this point, all we can guess is a DD Form 214.

ETA: The "average" Veteran who just did a few years and separated does not qualify for a military ID after separation. He would have had to separated under a specific program or under specific conditions to still qualify for an ID. Example: My brother served four years in the Navy. He did his time and got out. He does have a low disability rating. He does not qualify for a military ID. He just has a DD Form 214, his VA card (and can only be seen at the VA as space available based on his rating) from his military service. Now he does have a MILITARY CAC, not because he is a Veteran, but because he is an active DOD Civil Service employee. *Average defined as someone who just did the time they signed up for (or was obligated to serve) then separated.

Last edited:
. Now he does have a MILITARY CAC, not because he is a Veteran, but because he is an active DOD Civil Service employee

Okay, I don't know if this makes a difference (I plan on asking my dad then, but now I'm curious), but my dad worked at the Army Depot after he came home. He retired from the Depot and they included his years he served in the military towards his retirement.

Yes! My dad is retired Army Reserve and we buy all our tickets at Dobbins AFB. I hope he qualifies, it's a very good discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter