Minnesotans Cruisin' CA - Pre Trip

Minnesota

<font color=navy>Disney Commando<br><font color=re
Hi all!
I got my documents today about an hour ago and had to follow my tradition of posting a pre trip they day I get them. (I am concidered by a few to be sort of strange as you'll see in the reports to follow) So here it goes: Minnesotans Crusin' CA - Pre Trip. 17 days to go!:Pinkbounc

Who: Amanda (Me - 21 first time to California, 5 trips to WDW one trip on DCL)
Vickie (Mom - 47 lived in LA and went to DL a few times but that was in the 1970's, they moved home in 1981 no other disney trips)
Ron (Dad - 47 same as mom but dad had been on DCL and WDW once with me)

Why: Because of outrageous costs I was unable to go on a handbell tour of Costa Rica. Bummed Mom suggested we go out to CA as I had never been there and it would be WAY cheaper than Costa Rica. Later Dad decided he wanted to come too to see where they used to live and how it changed over the past 30 years. We invited my siblings who were born out there but they couldn't come.

When: June 16-21, 2003

Where: We are staying at the Tropicana across the street from Disney the whole trip.

What: My first trip to CA and DL. Also a trip for Mom and Dad to see LA again since they left

Things planned: We are planning to be at the parks at least 3 of the 5 days. I booked a character breakfast for Mom's Birthday one morning, we ar planning on driving down the coast to San Diego one day and spending one day in Los Angeles. My goal is to see LA, the ocean and Disneyland, Dad's is to see the place they used to live, and mom's is lighthouses in the area and a few cemeteries. Yes Cemeteries, this is where explanation is needed.

Explanation: As a family we belong to a Civil War Reenactors Artillery Battery. We travel the country with this group teaching the civil war by living it (For the weekends) One of our groups goals is to locate the resting places of the original battery members and to honor them. Since we started we have found over 100 of them and some did not have markers so our group also places veterans markers from the DoD in a ceremony. (We have one this weekend) There is a whole group of them in Los Angeles and two in San Diego so we are going to take a little time out of Disney and find these veterans. Maybe if they don't have markers we'll get a chance to come back.

I think that is about it for now. We have a really cheap car through Alamo and Airfare cheap through United. We booked our trip through Dreams Unlimited Travel (Third trip through them for me. These people are great!) Will write again definetly when we get back if not before, though I usually only do one pre trip report.
Let me know what you think. I used to be an English major so I tend to write A LOT hope you all like reading a lot.

Minnesota
17 days to go!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Pre Trip Report
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3

Reading your post got me even MORE pumped for my trip!!!

Re: the Civil War - I'm originally from the UK, so we didn't learn too much about US history but I think going around recognizing unmarked graves is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Just a quick FYI, check Fox (www.foxrentacar.com) - although I notice their rates are a bit higher of late, when I booked my car several weeks ago, no-one could even come close to their rate. The down side is that Fox don't have many offices - the closest to DL is at LAX.

I used some discount codes from www.mousesavers.com and got a economey car (4 door automatic Chev. Cavalier) for $19.99 a day. I was really suprised. Thanks for the info though.
Minnesota

Hi Minnesota - you still might want to check out Fox. Their daily rate for a Cavalier or similar is $14.90; weekly rate is $109.50. (I booked way back on April 12 and got a weekly rate of $94.90 and a daily rate of $10.45.) If you're renting before June 15, they've also got a coupon on their home page for a free upgrade to a bigger car.

Good luck with whatever you decide and have a GREAT vacation!

Have a great trip! Our vacation will have just ended as yours begins!

Hi Minnesota. Wow! A fellow reenactor on the DIS. I've been active in reenacting for 24 years now. I've been active in Texas Revolution, Great War and WW2. I'm only just now looking into CW. Hope you have a great trip and look forward to hearing about it :D

<font color=navy>I like your trip reports already. This look like it's going to be fun and interesting at the same time.

ps ... I love to read, and I think you have a great writing style - very easy to read. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter