Minyan for mourner's kaddish

Philharmagicfamily

Earning My Ears
First time poster here! My family will be taking our first cruise in 2019. My husband will need to say the mourner's kaddish while aboard. Are there Jewish services offered, and if so, do they typically attract a minyan?

Disney cruises generally do not offer any sort of services of any denomination, and if they do would tend to be non-denominational Christian. Your best bet for a minyan would be to join groups here, Cruise Critic, FB, etc. for your cruise date and ask other passengers. I am sure DCL could find you a quiet space to say Kaddish, though....

I’m sorry for your loss....may their memory be a blessing.

Typically Outlook is made available on Friday night for a guest led shabbat service. If you need another area for a religious service you can contact guest services for availability.

Typically Outlook is made available on Friday night for a guest led shabbat service.

We have gone to the Friday night “services” (guest-led, with challah provided) offered in the piano bar, but haven’t always had enough for a minyan. That area is usually quiet during the day, so if you can find a group to meet in the morning or late afternoon, you could probably do a quick service.

I agree that asking at Meet groups on social media is your best bet for finding people willing to attend.

I have gone twice to the outlook on Friday night. Both times it was just me and my wife a challah and a bottle of wine. If you want a long an you will have to arrange that yourself.

Thank you, everyone! I'm new to cruising as well as meeting people in our cruise on social media - should I just post in my Cruise's roll call thread? My concern is that it might get lost in a larger thread, especially since I imagine most people on the ship won't be Jewish and won't know what a minyan or mourner's kaddish is! We are traveling with just our family of five (with only two adults old enough to count for a minyan), so we would need 8 other people, which seems like it may be hard to get.

Our preschoolers will be thrilled that Disney provides challah on Fridays, though! Challah on Fridays is one of their favorite parts of the week.

First time poster here! My family will be taking our first cruise in 2019. My husband will need to say the mourner's kaddish while aboard. Are there Jewish services offered, and if so, do they typically attract a minyan?

Hi, I would suggest joining your cruise page on a certain social media page and simply asking if there is anyone on the cruise who may be able to assist for 15-20 minutes so your husband has a minyan for Kaddish. People who know the importance of having 10 very well may come to your assistance. In reality, you don't even need a full service, you could just have them gather for the 5-10 minutes so he can say the prayer. What cruise are you on?

Thank you, everyone! I'm new to cruising as well as meeting people in our cruise on social media - should I just post in my Cruise's roll call thread? My concern is that it might get lost in a larger thread, especially since I imagine most people on the ship won't be Jewish and won't know what a minyan or mourner's kaddish is! We are traveling with just our family of five (with only two adults old enough to count for a minyan), so we would need 8 other people, which seems like it may be hard to get.

Our preschoolers will be thrilled that Disney provides challah on Fridays, though! Challah on Fridays is one of their favorite parts of the week.

People who aren't Jewish and don't know what a minyan or a mourner's kaddish is, they can Google it. I didn't know either, but was curious to find out what it was about. Having lost a parent this year, it sounds like a beautiful tradition. The months after the death of a parent are tough, weird, confusing and a whole lot more, I can see how this could be beneficial and comforting.

The only way you will find the other 8 is to reach out to the other people and Social Media is the easiest way to do it. And yes, maybe you would have to post a reminder.33
I don't know anything about this, but I'm trying to think along. Can you look for a synagogue near the departure/arrival port and say the kaddish before you board and when you get off the ship? Saves you two days looking for the people you need.
Besides social media, you can start looking here if there's a thread on the Dis for your cruise. https://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-cruise-meets.85/

Do the other 8 have to be Jewish? You might find other people of faith who could pray with you, or at least stand with you for prayers. But I concur with the others, that you can reach out to your social media board.

Also, check with Guest Services when you board. You never know who might also be asking the same question or perhaps there are crew members who are Jewish.

My next cruise leaves on Friday out of Miami in about 28 days. If that is your cruise my wife and I will join you for a minyan.

I don't know if your movement counts women for a minyan, but speaking for myself as a Reform Jew, while I haven't made the trip on previous cruises for Shabbat, I would absolutely make it a point to go for a minyan. It is, after all, a mitzvah. I'm not on your cruise but I'd imagine other Jews may feel similarly so I'd definitely encourage you to reach out!

I don't know if your movement counts women for a minyan, but speaking for myself as a Reform Jew, while I haven't made the trip on previous cruises for Shabbat, I would absolutely make it a point to go for a minyan. It is, after all, a mitzvah. I'm not on your cruise but I'd imagine other Jews may feel similarly so I'd definitely encourage you to reach out!

Same. When is your cruise?

On my last cruise( july this year-western caribbean) , we had a litle Cabalat Shabat , Disney provided Chala , Wine( casher) and Sidurim . No candles ( not allowed on board ) . On a celebrity cruise we had 40 people (!!!!)from all over the world celebrating Shabat ( 14 days from Buenos Aires to Santiago - Patagonian cruise ). I think You would manage to from a minian , either from cruisers or cast members . It is a Mitzva after all . Good luck

Thanks, everyone! It is so nice to know that you all would help us form a minyan if we were on the same cruise. We are Conservative, so both men and women count towards a minyan. Our cruise isn't until November 30, so I will post on our roll call a bit closer to our cruise time.

Thanks, everyone! It is so nice to know that you all would help us form a minyan if we were on the same cruise. We are Conservative, so both men and women count towards a minyan. Our cruise isn't until November 30, so I will post on our roll call a bit closer to our cruise time.
I'd actually suggest you go ahead and post the question there. Gives more people the time to set time aside, or at least be aware of the need to.

It wouldn't hurt to check the synagogues for the ports you will be calling in. Not all offer daily minyan, but you could always contact them and see. If you are porting in St. Thomas, the synagogue is definitely worth a visit (it is very historic, the oldest under an American flag, and second oldest in the Western Hemisphere).

We have gone multiple times during "yeshiva break" (late january) and there are a substantial number of jewish people on the cruise, and have been able to organize a minyan about 95% of the time (sometimes people have conflicting reservations) and DCL has been very helpful in setting aside a location for use (since in January all minyan times are before they need the adult clubs). Please feel free to PM if you need more details or want to discuss specifics. I have never gone on shabbat, if that is part of your itinerary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter