"Miss" and "Don't Miss Out"

Brancaneve

That means Snow White in another language.
I enjoy reading all the comparisons on this forum between Disney Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean International and was excited to experience the Freedom of the Seas for myself as we sailed the Western Caribbean as a group of 37 family and friends.

Our family of four has been on 5 Disney cruises and we have been on every ship, with the Wonder being repeated just last year in beautiful Alaska. As DVC members we have used our points to cover DH and myself, while paying cash for the kids. This has allowed us to travel on DCL in a more affordable way, and we were blessed to have enough points to also stay at a WDW resort either prior to, or after our cruise.

It is imperative that I mention that as I boarded the Freedom of the Seas, I boarded with an open mind and I tried very hard NOT to make instant comparisons between the two companies. I wanted to wait until the end of the trip to make any judgments or comparisons, and truly live in the moment.

However, during the cruise I truly missed features found on DCL. There were memories or feelings that popped into my mind and heart without provocation, while also experiencing new things on FOS that I truly enjoyed. Therefore, I am organizing my opinions in a "Miss" or "Don't Miss Out" format. "Miss" means the things I missed about sailing with DCL and "Miss Out" meaning the things one should not miss out on when cruising with RCCL. I hope it helps families who need to make a decision or who need assurance that the decision they made was the right one.

"Miss"
  • As we got ready for dinner the first night I missed the split bathrooms as well as all the bathroom storage for toiletries.
  • The decor in the staterooms is far superior on DCL with its vintage nautical vibe, while the FOS decor reminded me of a motel. The space planning in the staterooms was also better on DCL. Although bunk beds can be found on FOS, our stateroom (window view) had a couch that pulled into a full size bed that left little room to move around in the morning. This made getting ready a challenge and my son and daughter HATED sharing a bed. Also, I love how DCL beds are raised, allowing ample storage for luggage. We had to leave most of our luggage under the window and next to our bed as it did not all fit in the closet.
  • The space planning on the FOS made for a lot of crowds and it was harder to move around. I have been on the Fantasy at the same time of year on a full ship and I only remember crowds on the first and last day. In between, everyone seemed to settle into their corners of the ship making getting from one place to another easy.
  • The one stop drink station on DCL ships is pretty awesome. Although there were different locations for different beverages throughout the FOS, I wished it was just all in one easy to get to place. Although I don't drink a lot of soda, I missed it being included when I craved the carbonation.
  • On our last DCL cruise to Alaska we loved the texting feature on the app as we could get in touch easily with other family members to meet up for movies, shows, activities, etc. I paid $30 per phone to use AT and T's cellular at sea which I must say worked most of the time. This was necessary as our son is diabetic and I wanted to give him some freedom while also being able to check in on him.
  • I really missed the movie theater on DCL. It was great having one dedicated space besides the pool to show movies.
  • The food options near the pool/drink station were definitely missed. On FOS, you have to go to one deck for a burger (and pay for it), one deck for a sandwich (and it's not great), another deck for the buffet. I loved having the hamburgers, hot dogs, fries, salads, fruit and sandwiches all together in one area.
  • Castaway Cay..................sigh.
  • I was also a bit bummed that our ship arrived very late for two ports: Roatan and Grand Cayman. We weren't let off board until 1:00 both days and had to be back on by 6:00 or 7:00. I don't think I experienced this with DCL as it seemed that we always had a full day at all of our spots.
  • Edit.....forgot one important thing. We really missed the laundry rooms on the DCL ships. I know no one likes to do laundry while on vacation but we like to pack light. RCCL wanted $30 to wash a small bag of clothes and we didn't want to pay that!

"Don't Miss Out"

• I enjoy looking at art and I LOVED all the unique art installations throughout the FOS. From sculptures to Pop Art to photography, it was all very interesting and beautiful. The ship overall is lovely but lacks the details that Disney provides.
  • The touch screens on each deck were great. I never had to carry around my Cruise Compass and the maps provided were especially helpful.
  • As I mentioned earlier, we had a very large group. RCCL was fantastic in helping us organize our group from the very start , to where we wanted to sit for dining to disembarking the ship at the same time. Also this cruise line is at a better price point and was affordable for everyone with the current promotion plus the ship board credit. I don't think everyone in our group could have afforded DCL.
  • Due to our large group we chose main dining. However, I thought the various dining options were fantastic and flexible. My Time Dining sounds like a winner, especially for those tiring and busy days at the ports.
  • I thought the food in the main dining was on par or better than DCL. My tally of fantastic dishes was higher on RCCL than on DCL.
  • The Promenade was fantastic! It was always full of life and I enjoyed sitting at the outside tables at the cafe or pub to people watch.

If anyone has any questions, please ask! Our ports were Grand Cayman, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel. I loved all of our excursions (none were through RCCL) and am happy to share what we did if you are interested.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing your comparison! It is definitely helpful for us because it included things we hadn't thought about previously, like the texting app feature. One question I have, you say the quick service dining by the pool was something you missed from DCL. Would you say that the ship you were on had as many options for complimentary quick service and they were just not all in one place or did they truly have fewer options?

Thanks so much for sharing your comparison! It is definitely helpful for us because it included things we hadn't thought about previously, like the texting app feature. One question I have, you say the quick service dining by the pool was something you missed from DCL. Would you say that the ship you were on had as many options for complimentary quick service and they were just not all in one place or did they truly have fewer options?

The Windjammer buffet seemed to be open all day and into the evening and there were many food options available but it was harder to grab and go from there. The promenade also had a pizza place and the coffee shop served sandwiches. Glad I could help!

Please tell me more about castaway cay! I was thinking about booking a dcl cruise when our youngest is potty trained. I heard it is amazing for little kids.

Thank you for posting and giving some things to ponder for those of us about to make the jump ourselves. ::yes:: We are sailing on Liberty of the Seas in August. It's so hard to go into it with a completely open mind, but I am going to try and do the same thing and enjoy this cruise and then figure out what I like/don't like. :goodvibes

I love rcl but their private island can be way too loud. Dh and I rent a clam shell on the private side of the island. It was only $50 but so worth it to be away from the noise. It also came with a fruit plate and two giant bottles of Evian water.

Please tell me more about castaway cay! I was thinking about booking a dcl cruise when our youngest is potty trained. I heard it is amazing for little kids.

Castaway Cay is absolutely amazing. It has a beautiful beach, a delicious all you can BBQ and bikes to rent and explore the island. In the past, we put our kids in the club on the beach for a bit and ventured over to the adult side of the island. It is so serene and quiet there and the water is AMAZING....crystal clear and blue.

What's nice is that no one bothers you....no vendors, no loud cars and no need to buy a single thing (unless you want alcohol).

And I think you are smart to wait until your youngest is potty trained because it makes a huge difference. I would even wait until your youngest is in pre school or kindergarten and is used to being away from you for a bit. Enjoy!

I love rcl but their private island can be way too loud. Dh and I rent a clam shell on the private side of the island. It was only $50 but so worth it to be away from the noise. It also came with a fruit plate and two giant bottles of Evian water.

That's a great deal!

The windjammer buffet is on the pool deck, and it is very easy to "grab-and-go" from there. We do that on every Freedom cruise we've taken. We actually prefer that the quick serve venues are not in the middle of the pool deck like they are on Disney which is usually littered with grabbed and abandoned food everywhere by noon.

Really interesting comparison! We've actually done it the other way and did Oasis and Freedom, then the Fantasy - interesting we are totally opposite cruisers as pretty much everything on your miss last was stuff that didn't matter to us- we don't really drink pop, so that didn't matter, left our phones in the safe, found the Fantasy more crowded than Oasis or Freedom, don't mind the larger, single bathroom, haven't watched a movie on any of our cruises, haven't even considered laundry...
We loved a Castaway, but also loved Labadee (over the water cabana = heaven) and Coco Cay...
We also thought the MDR food was a bit more interesting on Royal, and loved sitting at the tables outside the pub...
While we thought the cleanliness was outstanding on the Fantasy, our MDR server was just ok, and couldn't believe there were basically no pools on the Fantasy - Aquaduct was great though!

For us right now, our cruise on the Fantasy was basically twice the price (and that was a GT rate) and we didn't see the value in that as although we loved it, we loved our RCL cruises also. I hope to cruise DCL again, but right now we would rather do 2 vacations, or a longer cruise.

While we thought the cleanliness was outstanding on the Fantasy, our MDR server was just ok, and couldn't believe there were basically no pools on the Fantasy - Aquaduct was great though!
The smallest of Freedom's six pools is larger than the largest of Fantasy's pools. While Aquaduck is a great add, waiting in a seemingly endless line to take the short ride around the ship is a real downer.

I missed the split bathrooms as well as all the bathroom storage for toiletries.

I haven't found less storage on Freedom or Vision than I've had on Dream. Hmm.

The decor in the staterooms is far superior on DCL with its vintage nautical vibe, while the FOS decor reminded me of a motel.

I know you meant this, but let me just state it out loud...that's incredibly subjective. :) For me, the aesthetic of DCL is lesser than the look and feel of Royal ships. Looks ancient and dated to my eyes.

Although I don't drink a lot of soda, I missed it being included when I craved the carbonation.

Did you not buy the soda package? The $8/day might not quite add up to the difference between a similar Disney cruise vs the Royal cruise. :)

Castaway Cay..................sigh.

Agreed, but Coco is awesome also. Did you get to go there?

What have you read about Castaway that's specific to little kids? Thankfully DS was 8 by the time we went on a cruise with him, but watching my cousin with her then 5 year old exhausted me. Made me feel like taking a small kid to the beach would be very very UNrelaxing. As it was, I was new to running and I did the 5K on the island, and felt awesome, and my faboo hubby treated me like a queen that day. He had an UNrelaxing day as he got me food, and while he was at it got some for our son and my cousins two kids (while cousins and my aunt were elsewhere). He ran ragged that day.

Now if the kids can go into Scuttle's Cove, and if they like it, then they can have fun and you can relax. :) DS didn't try Scuttle's until he was 9 or 10, and he hated it.

Or did you mean DCL is amazing for littles? My cousin who was younger seemed to have a decent time, but she wouldn't stay longer than half an hour in the club (and she's a seriously outgoing kid) and didn't give her parents much time on their own at all. They were glad they had brought along my aunt to help out. The whole experience didn't make me think "ooh I wish we'd brought DS when he was younger" LOL. Though there sure are a LOT of younger kids on the ships!

I love rcl but their private island can be way too loud.

Where did you feel the loudness was coming from? I don't recall that at all. Alas we've only been there once. Since it's a tender port you can't always make it there, and the second cruise we had with Coco on the itinerary, high winds meant we couldn't make it. So sad.

Anyway, instead of what feels like one biiiiiig beach to me on Castaway, Coco feels like a bunch of smaller beaches. So I never got that overwhelmed feeling that I do in huge crowds like on Castaway. Felt like a much smaller area to me.

We have been on one Disney cruise and have booked RCL for Spring Break. Looking for excursion ideas for Costa Maya.

What did you do?

The absolute BEST day of our cruise was in Costa Maya. Several months before the cruise we booked a stay at Maya Chan in Costa Maya. Maya Chan is a piece of paradise owned by an American family from San Diego. They picked us up, loaded us into a van and we drove about 20 minutes to the location. The amenities are fantastic; palapas, lounge chairs, bar, and the most amazing lunch. For about $45, you can eat and drink as much as you want! The drinks were top notch and the service was incredible. The beach also has kayaks, floaty chairs, a tree house, sand toys, frisbies, etc. We had a group of 37 and everyone really enjoyed themselves. I want to go on this cruise again just so I can go back to Maya Chan!!

Sounds like Brancaneve and I were on the same cruise. We also did Maya Chan and I agree that it was fabulous! In addition, Maya Key at Roatan was also wonderful, maybe even better than Maya Chan.

We have never been on a Disney cruise but were happy with Royal's Freedom of the Seas.

Several points I agree with:
-More time in Grand Cayman and Roatan would have been nice
-My Time Dining was perfect for us and easy to manage with the later days in port
-Specialty dining in Sabor was fantastic!
-Would have liked a movie theatre. Also, the movies by the pool at night (around 8:00) were not kid friendly.
-Based on pictures, I think I would like the Disney décor better.
-The Promenade was a nice place to hang out.
-The touch screens are very useful.

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

We have booked Freedom of the Seas' twin Independence of the Seas for January going to Jamaica and Labadee for 5 days. My 'boys' have aged out of the clubs and are in college so are ready for something new.

I will miss Buena Vista Theater! My eldest and I usually watch movies together and the pic I saw of the room with the small screen did no way resemble a theater to me!

I did read that Wipe Out-the snack bar/bar by the Flo Rider serves burger and fries and stuff like that included in the cruise price. Is this new? Or you did know that?

Food is a big part of a cruise for my youngest and I'm trying to get a handle on what's included. How is Sorrento's pizza btw? How does it compare to DCL?

I have to say right off the bat that the adult pool area on the Independence looks much better and more set apart than the Dream and Fantasy. Major design flaws with those two! If it weren't for Satellite Falls...

Can you tell me about the Jade part of Windjammer's? Is that included in the cruise price food? Did you try any of the specialty restaurants? We probably won't have the extra cash to spare but I'm very curious about them.

There is alot to learn about whats included and whats not. Some places like Cafe Promenade have certain things free and others things extra.You really have to read up before you sail.

We have booked Freedom of the Seas' twin Independence of the Seas for January going to Jamaica and Labadee for 5 days. My 'boys' have aged out of the clubs and are in college so are ready for something new.

I will miss Buena Vista Theater! My eldest and I usually watch movies together and the pic I saw of the room with the small screen did no way resemble a theater to me!

I did read that Wipe Out-the snack bar/bar by the Flo Rider serves burger and fries and stuff like that included in the cruise price. Is this new? Or you did know that?

Food is a big part of a cruise for my youngest and I'm trying to get a handle on what's included. How is Sorrento's pizza btw? How does it compare to DCL?

I have to say right off the bat that the adult pool area on the Independence looks much better and more set apart than the Dream and Fantasy. Major design flaws with those two! If it weren't for Satellite Falls...

Can you tell me about the Jade part of Windjammer's? Is that included in the cruise price food? Did you try any of the specialty restaurants? We probably won't have the extra cash to spare but I'm very curious about them.

There is alot to learn about whats included and whats not. Some places like Cafe Promenade have certain things free and others things extra.You really have to read up before you sail.
If the Wipe Out bar serves food, it would be included in the cruise fare. However, if it does it must have been added since March, because when we were on FOS in March, all they did up there was drinks.

Sorrentos is comparable to DCL. They also do panini's and deserts there, and they have an antipasta bar that has some good stuff on it. Not-to-Miss: On the last sea day (around noon) they do a chef's celebration in the promenade where all the chefs set up sampling stations of their favorite dishes.

Jade is just an Asian Fusion section of the Windjammer - no really good sushi - mostly California rolls - not even supermarket quality.

Café Promenade specialty coffees are $$ - but you can use your starbucks card there :) everything else is free - including regular coffee, tea, and hot chocolate (24/7 BTW)

If you liked satellite falls, wait until you try the cantilevered hot tubs in the adult area (they actually hang outside of the ship) :D

I hear ya!

Not sure about the snack bar but I believe the Johnny Rocket's 50's style hamburger restaurant is on that deck. My two kids ate there and it cost them $26 for burgers, fries and one milkshake.

I personally did not eat the pizza but my husband said it was very good.

I agree with you and PP about the pools on RCCL ships. The Disney ship pools are awfully small in comparison.

Ok....the Jade part of Windjammer was interesting. As you walk into the Windjammer area there's a sign on the right pointing you towards Jade but as you walk past it, it turns into the Windjammer. Jade is part of the buffet but features Asian food, including Indian food and fresh fruit. I did not go to any of the specialty restaurants because we were in a large group and wanted to have dinner together in the main dining room. I believe they range from $25-$35 per person for dinner. I do have to recommend the lunches in the main dining rooms when you are at sea. They were delicious and were included in the price. The salad bar was amazing!

Speaking of Cafe Promenade, plain coffee, tea, hot chocolate is free all day and evening. If you want a frappe, latte, etc, you will have to pay extra. They also serve pastries and small sandwiches and those are all free.

Sounds like Brancaneve and I were on the same cruise. We also did Maya Chan and I agree that it was fabulous! In addition, Maya Key at Roatan was also wonderful, maybe even better than Maya Chan.

We have never been on a Disney cruise but were happy with Royal's Freedom of the Seas.

Several points I agree with:
-More time in Grand Cayman and Roatan would have been nice
-My Time Dining was perfect for us and easy to manage with the later days in port
-Specialty dining in Sabor was fantastic!
-Would have liked a movie theatre. Also, the movies by the pool at night (around 8:00) were not kid friendly.
-Based on pictures, I think I would like the Disney décor better.
-The Promenade was a nice place to hang out.
-The touch screens are very useful.

So glad you agreed and it's so awesome we were on the same cruise! Did you go to Little French Key in Roatan?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter