Miss middle school or go during spring break?

juxtapose

Mouseketeer
Usually, I'd say miss school but next year will be my oldest's first year of middle school and I'm not sure what to expect from homework and how hard making up a week will be. She has a May the 4th birthday and has always wanted to celebrate her birthday at Star Wars land, so do I pull both my kids from school for a week to go over her birthday (6th and 2nd grade) or go during their spring break in mid-March? May would be cheaper and less busy, but also hotter.

Middle school librarian here, your dates would be after our state testing so I would say go in May!

Maybe I just don't place as much value on 'school-based' education as I should, but I don't have any issues with taking kids out of school for experiences. As long as your trip wouldn't conflict with any critical dates like testing, I think experiences are important for the holistic wellbeing of kids.

Maybe I just don't place as much value on 'school-based' education as I should, but I don't have any issues with taking kids out of school for experiences. As long as your trip wouldn't conflict with any critical dates like testing, I think experiences are important for the holistic wellbeing of kids.

That's all well and good, but you have to remember that the CHILD is the one who has to make up for the missed work and that can be very stressful. It can be a lot, and it can lead to issues catching up for weeks.

OP, the middle school workload is considerably increased from elementary. Wait until your child has completed the first semester of middle school next year and then ask HER what she would prefer. May could be almost the end of the school year or the midpoint in the semester, depending on your school calendar. It makes a difference.

I'd vote May, but maybe consult with the school? Be sure to explain the significance of your DDs May birthday. We took our children out of school many times, and now we do the same with granddaughters. The most common response from teachers when asked about missing classes? "Can I go with you?":)

It was around 7th/8th grade when my girls would be super stressed to miss school. I agree wait till she starts and can form her opinion. We did not take them out after 5th grade. By 11th/12th they would have let me take them out LOL as long as it didn't interfere with their activities.

That's all well and good, but you have to remember that the CHILD is the one who has to make up for the missed work and that can be very stressful. It can be a lot, and it can lead to issues catching up for weeks.

OP, the middle school workload is considerably increased from elementary. Wait until your child has completed the first semester of middle school next year and then ask HER what she would prefer. May could be almost the end of the school year or the midpoint in the semester, depending on your school calendar. It makes a difference.
Their last day is end of May, so she'd have 4 weeks of school left when we got back. Unfortunately, we want a harder to get room selection, so I feel like I need to try to book something by early fall at the latest, especially if we end up going over March spring break as I know that is high season.

Their last day is end of May, so she'd have 4 weeks of school left when we got back. Unfortunately, we want a harder to get room selection, so I feel like I need to try to book something by early fall at the latest, especially if we end up going over March spring break as I know that is high season.

Well, you can always book both weeks and cancel one of them.

Our schools do very little actual work after state testing. Maybe talk to some of the parents with middle schoolers and see what the workload would be like. Ours spend a lot of time doing special trips, field day activities, and a lot of silly things just filling in time till the end of the year. Also if the teachers would let her do some of her work early? That would take any stress off. We have never had issues taking a week off for Disney.

My daughters are grown now, but we stopped pulling them out of school once they hit middle school. the last time we did a school-year vacation, it was January and my older daughter was 7th grade, and never could quite catch up on math. This was with us taking work with us, and my husband and I being good t math. her stress at trying to catch up was bad. I agree to see how your daughter handles things.

I'd familiarize yourself with the school calendar since it's likely different for testing then elementary school. I would also gauge your child's emotions and overall feelings about missing school. My kids had zero issues missing a day or two of middle school but missing a full week might have messed them up. Making up that missed work, missed lessons, etc. could be harder on her than you think. I'd definitely not make any decisions until she has some time in MS under her belt. Also, we finish school here before memorial day so EOC exams, finals, etc are all around that time.

I have never been one to take my daughter out of school for vacations. My daughter would be stressed with what she missed and the amount of homework to catch up on. And upon returning school managing what she missed and then with all new lessons being taught. I would recommend knowing the schools policy about being absent for vacation. A friend of mind took her 2 sons out a day or two early before Thanksgiving and received a notice that she had to appear at the school for a hearing (this was elementary school). At that same school, I gave a heads up to my daughters teacher that she'd be out for 2 days before a weekend to go to Disneyland and I got the dirty look (and this was Pre K). It does get harder as kids advance in grades. My daughter is now a junior in high school. When planning our cruise last year, we asked her about missing a week of school and she said no way. I have to admit, even though I've never done it, I considered it because my Mom had recently passed and there wasn't a lot of reservation choices left(even though it was over a year in advance). We didn't want to pay the extra cost of going over Christmas, but we did. I've heard of schools/teachers giving work to be done while on vacation, but what kid wants to do that? Not much of a vacation either.

Our schools do very little actual work after state testing. Maybe talk to some of the parents with middle schoolers and see what the workload would be like. Ours spend a lot of time doing special trips, field day activities, and a lot of silly things just filling in time till the end of the year. Also if the teachers would let her do some of her work early? That would take any stress off. We have never had issues taking a week off for Disney.

That is all the fun stuff. Kid may not want to miss those things either.

It depends on your daughter and the school policies. I took my son out of school all the time, even during high school but the boy carried a pillow in his backpack and slept in class, which the teachers allowed because he was always caught up on his work. I'm not sure about now but I know when he was going, kids could only miss x amount of days, period. Didn't matter if they were sick or going on vacation, a missed day was a missed day so we had to work around that. Thankfully, he didn't usually miss any days sick so had some time to play with.

It depends on your daughter and the school policies. I took my son out of school all the time, even during high school but the boy carried a pillow in his backpack and slept in class, which the teachers allowed because he was always caught up on his work. I'm not sure about now but I know when he was going, kids could only miss x amount of days, period. Didn't matter if they were sick or going on vacation, a missed day was a missed day so we had to work around that. Thankfully, he didn't usually miss any days sick so had some time to play with.

Yeah, our district has a strict 10 days of missed school unless you have a doctors note.

One district I worked in told parents they couldn't ask for work ahead of time and that all work would need to made up upon return. There were so many families pulling kids for trips that the district had enough. Teachers were thankful. Most teachers don't plan weeks and weeks ahead. Plans change, kids learn at different rates so the district just said 'no'.

Our district since Covid is not enforcing anything unless you just don’t call your kid out. My daughter’s best friend has missed 30 days already this year, I don’t know how teachers deal with that kind of absences.

My son is at 15 days of just sick days because he’s had covid, flu, and another random awful virus and missed a week each time.

I asked my daughter her thoughts and she asked if we could wait and decide until after she spent some time at middle school. So I’ll look into booking dates in both March and May and see how things are in late fall and cancel one. Thanks for all the opinions!

Usually, I'd say miss school but next year will be my oldest's first year of middle school and I'm not sure what to expect from homework and how hard making up a week will be. She has a May the 4th birthday and has always wanted to celebrate her birthday at Star Wars land, so do I pull both my kids from school for a week to go over her birthday (6th and 2nd grade) or go during their spring break in mid-March? May would be cheaper and less busy, but also hotter.
Ooh. I’m already seeing this become all about not you. This is a question that gets heated over and over again on this board. So don’t turn to it for answers.
On another note… 😂 my opinion is… 😂
Skip school. It‘s her Birthday!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter