Missing school for WDW?

chico

keeping a low profile
Hi all,

I know there is a similar thread on the families board - but just wanted a Canadian opinion.

We're going to WDW in early Dec, DS will be 5, and will miss 1 week of kindergarten (then back for one week then Christmas break.)

Have any of you done the same? Were there any issues? Should we speak with his school?

Any teachers out there have advice? We'd appreciate it!!

Thanks! :confused:

We have taken our son out of school a couple of times to go to WDW. Never had any problems with it. We checked ahead with the teachers.

I would not be too concerned about missing a week of kindergarten though. Have fun.

John

Our son has missed three weeks of kindergarten, two weeks in Grade one, one week in Grade two and will be missing another seven days in just five days. It has never been a problem. This time he is going to do the work he will be missing before we go. Last time it was too much of a hassle to try and get him to do work in the hotel room.

The teacher's at his school have never said it was a problem. They just seem to think that they should come with us.

Christmas is a wonderful time to visit WDW. Go, enjoy and forget about his school work. He will learn lots from his visit to Epcot.

Have a super trip.

My DD missed one week of both JK, SK and grade 1. She will be missing 1 week now in grade 2 as we head out to a Nov Disney cruise. DS just started JK this year and will also miss the week. I have no problems at this age taking them out of school and the teachers do not appear to mind. I always ask in advance if there is any homework they want done, but so far, they have declined and just said "Have a great time". Now this year with DD in grade 2, I expect that she'll at least be asked to keep a daily journal. At this age, just go and have fun. Your DS will have a great learning experience all of his own! Enjoy! Jo-Anne

Our DD's have missed 1 1/2 and 2 weeks of grades 2 & 6 the first time and 4 & 8 the second trip. These were in January/February. Both times we had no problems at all. We notified the teachers in September. Our DD's were able to make up the missed school work in other ways, before and after the trips.
I think some kids would have a tough time missing a week of school, but I think the teacher should be able to tell you whether it would be a problem. I don't think a week of kindergarten would be any problem at all.

We're taking our two DS out for 2.5wks in Jan/Feb...grade primary (kindergarten) Wrote a note to their teacher last week, and talked to her the next day. Her feeling, and ours, that travel teaches lots of "life experiences"...we're not going to worry about taking them out. My father taught school - high school- and he feels the same way. He also says that they parents who worry about this are the ones who don't need to worry about taking their kids out!;)

Go, enjoy...and post a trip report about all the wonderful things your little boy learned, and that you learned about him:D

I have always felt that the valuable time that you spend with your children on vacation - WDW or not- is worth missing a few days of school. My DD has been taken out of school in Feb/March every year since JK...she's now in grade 5. She's even been to countries like the Dominican Republic and Mexico in addition to WDW....she's an only child and we never leave her behind. I think a few days of school can be replaced by a lifetime of special memories made while on these holidays.The school system takes them at an early age and we really have very little good quality time with them after that (especially if you work fulltime) so make the time to enjoy them on a comletely different level....a pure fun,uninterupted family time level!!!You'll never regret it!!!! Have a wonderful time!!!!:D :p :cool: ;)

As posted above, I think the trip is a great learning experience. The way I look at it, kids in the lower grades can sometimes miss more time that that off sick with one of the colds that gets passed along so easily in those early years. ;) At least your child isn't plunked on a couch in front of a tv while off sick for a week...he's experiencing all types of wonderful things...think of what he'll learn at AK & Epcot. :) Also, in those early grades, in my experience (I have three kids 4 years apart) they usually spend the last few weeks before Christmas making/doing Christmas things, so I doubt he'd be missing that much.

I'm taking my DD out for a week next month and she's in Grade 11. We've notified her teachers and they don't have a problem with it (we just found out that the Friday she's missing is now a PD day so she'll actually only miss 4 days of school). :)

Mention it to your child's teacher and see how she feels. I think she'll say "go and have fun". :) I've read many posts on the DIS from teachers who have said exactly that.

We pulled the kids out for a week when they were in Grades 5 and 7. We asked in advance, and they brought homework with them, which they did on the airplane.

Now they are in Grades 7 and 9, and we decided we would not pull them out. I think there is just too much material covered in a week at that level to miss. Also, they are involved in school sports and other activities that can't be made up.

We will bring them at the end of August next year.

chico, I would not worry at all about pulling your child out of Kindergarten. The experience of travel is a much more enhanced educational experience than spending 5 days in a classroom. I would let the teacher know your plans in advance (just in case there are special events planned that week), but I wouldn't expect that there would be any additional work.

Have a wonderful trip. December is a fantastic time to visit Disney.

Our daughter missed 2 weeks in Dec and was home for 2 days then off for x mas break our teachers thought it was a great idea and a learning experiance for her so we have had no problems to date. No matter what the teacher says though we are taking our kids out of school for disney vacations after all it is our money that pays them.

We leave next weekend and I informed the school just this past week. No concerns this year. We will take a reader for 5 yr old son, who is in Sk and work for 7 yr old son in French Immersion.
Last year they made us sign a form for taking them out for 2 wks. It is frowned upon when they are in French Immersion. It is a great learning experience for them. My in laws live in St. Petersburg, so we normally go in November for 2 wks. However, we are staying onsite this time for 1 wk. YIPPEE!
I would not worry about taking them out of school.

Our daughter is in grade 2 this year and in french immersion since SK and they had no problems at all with our schools in London.

Our kids are grade 6 and 7 and both of their teachers gave us a list of the work they will be doing over the next 2 weeks.
We have an agreement with the kids that says they are able to go to WDW on the condition that they "blitz" the assigned homework over a 5 day period (today,tomorrow and Monday...we fly out Tuesday....then the Sat,Sun after we come back).
A couple of years ago we took the work down with us...but its near to impossible to have them concentrate with all the obvious distractions.
They are at this time dilligently working their way through Math, Science ,History and Geography.
I would say the earlier years up to Grade 2 or 3 are not such a big deal but from Grade 4 onward they might possibily notice they are a bit behind.

Originally posted by wee-haggis
I would say the earlier years up to Grade 2 or 3 are not such a big deal but from Grade 4 onward they might possibily notice they are a bit behind.

I can't take my kids out of school for WDW---I'm the teacher! :p

If I could, I would. I am looking forward to days when I can go off season. Certainly, it would depend on your child, and his/her personal situation. One caution for all, though. Please don't schedule those trips just prior/during the provincial tests. Have a fabulous time, and think of those not going!

I'm taking mine out for 7 school days in March, and I don't give a fig what their teachers think about it! (I'm sure they will be fine, but we're going anyway). I have never taken them out for a vacation, and with DH being in Afghanistan until mid Feb, missing both of their birthdays and Christmas, we are taking our family holiday to make up for it. I am sure they will learn enough at Discovery Cove and SeaWorld to make up for a few days of missed classroom time. My DD is in grade 4, DS is in grade 2.

I will be taking a 7th grader and a 10th grader out of school in December(the week before Christmas break)I am not too worried about it.My youngest does well in school so I will inform the teachers a few weeks before hand to get anything that he can do while we are there.My oldest goes to a high school where work is done at their pace so I will just make sure that I push him a little in order to make sure he is upto date before we leave and make sure he has work to take with him also(they should be able to get most of it done on the car ride there and back)This will probably be our last last family vacation so we are going to make the most of it.So go ahead and take your little one out of school and enjoy.

We've taken our kids out for a week each Feb. to go to California since our oldest, now in gr. 8, was in kindergarten. This year we'll be enjoying the World from Oct 9-17 and not worrying about homework. I am a teacher who is fulfilling a temp. full time contract but I had no problem getting the time off. Everything was already booked so my director said it wouldn't be a problem. I've spoken to both teachers (my ds is in gr. 4) and they will just do work ahead. I know in the U.S. things are fairly strict from what I have read but I think that in 20 years the memories of a family vacation will far outweigh what kids may miss in a few days of school.:D

My DD took my DGS out of SK this past Feb for a week- now she is taking him out of Gr 1 for 2 weeks in November. The teachers have always been understanding and even suggest ways to 'make up work' that is fun for him and still a great learning experience. My DD has printed the Disney Journal from DisneyDollarless and shown her DS's teacher. He loves it. He has also suggested a reader to take and some other activities for him if there is time.
I don't see any teacher having problems with taking your DS out of school.

Yup, you gotta do it while they are young. No problem in Manitoba as long as you keep up with the work while you are gone. I agree that getting up in the grades is a challenge but the family time is worth it too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter