Mission Space for almost 6 y.o.?

Boo Mc

Never thought I'd be a Disney geek!
DD is finally tall enough to ride but I can't decide if we should let her. Her brother rode several times when he was 7 and loved it. She doesn't scare easily and has been on all the other rides. The only one that freaked her out a little was Tower of Terror but that's because she slid down the seat and by the time we stopped "bouncing" the seat belt was up around her shoulders! Yikes! Anyway, anyone have opinions for this age? Thanks!

One of our DS's is 6, we just got back from WDW, and he loved Mission Space. Keep in mind - he won't ride Thunder Mountain, TOT, or RNR. We prepared him before he rode for exactly what he'd feel, and gave him all of the pointers about looking forward and not closing his eyes, etc. He loved it!!!
Does your DD like the acceleration of Test Track? I really think that's a pretty good indicator for MS - at least as far as my kids went. It's a totally different kind of ride, I know, but I see MS as a step up from TT. Anyway - As long as she's prepared, and doesn't scare easy - I'll bet she likes it.
Also - our son doesn't get motion sickness very easily at all (Astro Orbiter and Tea Cups over and over with no affect!), but his 2nd time on MS he said he felt a little funny. You may want to prepare her for that as well. Hopefully she'll love it!

My DD (now 7) is a thrill ride junkie. She loves everything. She rode MS when she had just turned 6 - totally hated it. I explained everything to her, what to expect, and I thought she and I both were going to throw up before we got out of there. This is the only ride in my life that has ever bothered me.

We've been several times since then, and she always said she didn't want to ride it. But, we were there last week, and she announced that she wanted to try it again. Unfortunately, my DH has severe motion sickness, and I wasn't feeling 100% myself that day and didn't think I could handle it, so I told her no. Honestly, she wasn't too disappointed - I think she was just trying to prove something to herself.

I'm wondering about my kids as well. I don't think my 5 year old would ride it... even if she could, but wondering about my 7 year old..

In May we brought my cousin on it and she hated it. She had turned 6 in January and was just at the minimum height requirement (they measured her at every height check point). She loves thrill rides but once the launch started she started saying "I don't like it" over and over again. I had been on it before and don't get sick so when she suddenly stopped saying "I don't like it" I leaned over to see her and she looked green. When it ended, she couldn't walk straight and said she was never riding again. She liked TT and every other ride she was tall enough for, but not Mission Space.

We went last Nov with DS6 and DS4. Both loved MS. After the ride, I felt a little sick to my stomach, but my boys were fine.

As far as the ride goes, there is really nothing "scary". What I mean is that there are no monters, nothing jumping out at you, etc. It is dark. You are in an enclosed space. The effects are amazing. You really feel as if you are "blasting off".

We are heading back in a few weeks and I think I will be skipping this attraction. I just hate the feeling of motion sickness. I am sure that my boys will be headed back. This time around, DS7 and DS5.

If you think your DD can handle the motion sickness (or you, LOL), I say, let her give it a try.

It's hard to say whether a child would like it, maybe the better question is would they really DISLIKE it? If not, I'd try it and see - you might be surprised! I had a 5 and 7 yo on each side of me (kids I didn't know) and they'd ridden it 10+ times over the past few days - their grandmother verified that number! They kept up a running commentary during the ride, telling me what to do, the buttons to push, etc. It was really entertaining riding with these "old pros"!

You know your child best. If you haven't experienced the ride yourself, ride it without your child first and then you can make a better decision.

FWIW, if your child doesn't get motion sickness (like in the IMAX theaters or some of the "surround 360 degree" movies), and isn't particularly afraid of the dark or flying in an airplane, she should be fine. As Mickey Fliers posted, there aren't any "monsters" or loud scary things jumping out at you. IMHO, ToT and Dinosaur are much worse on the fright scale!!!

Best wishes -

My daughter went again and again on Mission: Space when she was about two months shy of her 6th birthday. She loved it. I agree with the other posters-- it is not a scary ride. I think that it is the same for kids as for adults; some people get motion sickness more easily than others and that is the real determinant.

However, it is important that people follow the instructions about keeping your eyes directly ahead. I of course looked to the side every so often to see what would happen and it was tremendously disorienting.

I plan to bring my son in December, assuming he is tall enough. He will be 4yo in late December. He doesn't get motion sickness, at least not from spinning, and I think he will like the ride.

T&B

Mission Space is my 6-year-old DDs favorite ride and she is not terribly brave when it comes to rides. She was nervous at first especially since the seats you sit in are somewhat enclosed and I was not able to sit right next to her. But once the ride started she was squealing with delight...riding that ride with her and listening to her laughter and squeals was one of the highlights of our last trip. :D

My daughter rode it July 4, she just turned 5.
She loved it. I was a nervous wreck though, trying to make sure she remembered to look straight ahead.

You know your child best, I would just go over what happens and the rules before hand, so there are no surprises for the child.

Well, I guess I'll explain it to her and let her decide. She LOVES Test Track and doesn't seem to get motion sickness on regular rides but MS is not exactly regular. I am a bit worried that she might look away or not keep her head back but I guess we'll just have to tell her not to and hope she listens. We've been on it and the warnings scared me more than the actual ride but DH felt very ill so I hope she's not like him! Thanks for all of the input!

My DD6 rode MS for the first time in June. I was worried because I was riding it for the first time too and I didn't know what to expect. She loved it!! And everyone felt fine afterwards.

Originally posted by Boo Mc
I am a bit worried that she might look away or not keep her head back but I guess we'll just have to tell her not to and hope she listens.

Yeah, but you know how most kids are. They can stand and spin in the house until they are falling over and they love the sensation. I know that some kids get sick from spinning, but if your has done the teacups without any problem and likes to spin in general then I would think it wouldn't be a problem.

I used to love to spin myself around when I was a kid. Now if I pick up my son and spin him around even once or twice (like I used to do to my older kids without a problem) I feel like I'm going to fall over. I was told that adults ears get stiff (I'm talking about inside the ear :teeth: ) and that is why they aren't able to withstand the spinning that kids can.

I figure that when I bring my son on M:S in December that I will tell him to look at the screen, but I'm not going to worry if he doesn't since he would more than likely be fine. I will take my ginger capsules before the ride and will be good to go!

T&B

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter