Moderate recommendation for a resort only stay?

kristidiaz1

Mouseketeer
We had a great trip last month and will probably be back to the parks for a full on trip in 2022, but next year we're planning on fitting in a resort-only stay, no parks. (we've done this before, don't worry) We're always looking to try new hotels. We've stayed at all the values, and will save deluxe for our park trip. Never done a moderate, as the size and transportation/internal bus system has scared us off. Figure a resort only stay is our opportunity to try one out. Who has a favorite they recommend? Will be with two boys, 10 and 4. Would take into account a great pool, food options, things to do, and theming/atmosphere for a trip with no park days.

Honestly, if you are thinking of a Deluxe down the road, I would advise you do it for a resort only stay. If you are in the parks you don't get an opportunity to just enjoy the resort and everything it offers b/c you are "go-go-go". I feel like YC with the proximity to other resorts and SAB would be a perfect resort only stay. Just my $.02.

If you are strictly looking for Moderates, we enjoyed CBR. The pool was great and our kids love Pirates, so the theming was right up their alley. It was very limited on food when we stayed (pre Skyliner). Now, you have access to the Skyliner to resort hop as well to get broader food options.

I can't recommend Coronado Springs highly enough. The new Tower and its rooms are beautifully appointed. The pool is great! The dining choices are amazing....don't miss Toledo, Maya Grill or 3 Bridges, for sure. The CMs are wonderful and very attentive (but not overly so). I've heard some say that the resort is too large. I've never thought that as the grounds are beautiful and the walk was always very nice. But now that they've put in the bridges to cross over the lake, it's a 5 minute walk to anywhere. If it's not obvious, I'm a fan!!XptBwycdQ0KSir%sfQpleg.jpg

I love both sides of Port Orleans, but prefer French Quarter. It really feels like you've stepped into New Orleans. I also like how compact it is. (They have not yet announced reopening dates for either side.)
That said, like another poster mentioned, I would suggest you do a Deluxe for a resort-only trip and a Moderate for a trip where you are going to the parks. There's simply more to do and see at the Deluxe resorts.

If you have young children, I think it would be a huge disappointment to them to be 'at' Disney and not actually do any of the parks. Not sure what part of the country you are from, but seems you could enjoy something more economical if you find a local hotel with a water park or something of that nature. Someone living in the midwest, northeast or out west (for example) would spend a lot time/money traveling to Orlando for a benefit that isn't obvious to me.

I'm going to toss in something different here. Check out the Swan & Dolphin. Often the prices of S/D are similar to the moderates, but you get more of a deluxe room. The Grotto pool is pretty amazing, you can see a great pool video. You're also in the mix of the Boardwalk, Skyliner and easy to get to Disney Springs. Just a thought as prices have been pretty amazing since reopening.

I vote Coronado Springs. It has an awesome and very underrated main pool as well as several nice quiet pools. The rooms are lovely and well-appointed, they now have a ton of restaurants there to choose from as well. It's my favorite moderate. You may also want to consider Fort Wilderness if you like camping. As a campground, it has a lot of activities, a pretty good pool, and the cabins are nice with a full kitchen. This is all, of course, assuming things are back to normal resort-wise in 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter