Mom, 10 mo old, and 3 year old, Dream back to back.

gracefamilyvacation

Earning My Ears
I am a Disney Cruise fan. (One of my husband's worst decisions as now I go every chance I get.) To think of what we spent. We did a 7 night couple only cruse once that cost 2500 for air and everything. We did a 5 night around New Years with 4 kids for I think 1200 total for two staterooms not including air and all. (Disney was not selling a 10 night at New Years then in late fall they split it and we found the amazing deal.) We also did two Kids Sail Free back in the day when Disney tried Kids Sail Free. We also never cruised peak summer or holidays. And I found lately (well, last 4 trips) last min deals are pretty good. :thumbsup2

My last cruise was Sep before Covid and I took our then 11, 12, 9mo (who is now the almost 4yr), and the kids 12 yr old friend. SO stayed behind. He has to schedule vacation a year out which does not always work for my job (or for special pricing).

With 13 cruises in 14 years under my belt I am really in need of some cruise time. So I am leaving SO, 14 yr, 13 yr old behind. They have school and work commits. (And to be fair it is much cheaper without them.) It will be me, a 10 mo, and an almost 4yr on a back to back.

I get 8 weeks full pay parental leave. Much needed as my husband and I each work 55+ hr weeks and worked all through Covid. I only got 7 weeks off when I had the baby. I started my 8 weeks the 1st of October and have to complete by Dec 15th. So not much flexibility on when I can take it (see, another reason to leave those guys behind. :poop: Haha, whatever it takes)

I booked the second leg first at 25 days out. Booked the first cruise (as it falls before the one I originally booked) 8 days out. More on that in a min.

So here I am, booked and paid for. Second day of my leave and the 3yr jumps off sofa and breaks his arm. Okay, no worries. We got a waterproof cast. Not ideal but we will make this work.

Then 6 days later I have emergency gallbladder removal. Geeze, I go on a cruise in two weeks by myself with two kids. Dr assured me I will be fine. :confused3So instead of two days at Disney World and a rental car after a recent surgery; logic seemed to add a 4 day cruise instead. Thus the back to back. :cool1:

Seeing many questions on booking close to a sail date; so I will share.

Booked a 5 night out of Miami @ 25 days out. Was able to get 5:45 dinner seating with no wait list. I opted for Guaranteed Stateroom. Almost all tastings were booked except whisky, beer, burbon type. Plenty of cabanas open ( not for my budget). Nursery had complete open availability. And it seems a great option to upgrade at port as many rooms are still available now 9 days out.

Then I booked the 4 night @ 8 days out. Booked guaranteed inside. I had to fight the computer for this rate. I would go in at one price, then select the room and the price jumped $600. I backed out. I had to do this 3 times over two days. I then was on eternal hold to try and get the cheaper rate when all of a sudden, I was able to book at the lower rate. :cool1:Woohoo :banana:

A few excursions are booked but not anything I am interested in. All cabanas are sold out, nearly all tastings, brunch, dinners, princess gatherings are sold out. Transfers were also sold out. And it seems now at 4 days out only two concierge staterooms are available. No chance of an upgrade at port here. I was also wait listed for early dinning.

Port upgrades in the past had been Amazing!! I think once we went from an inside to veranda for $440 and another time $600. Or about 1/4-1/3 the original cost difference.

Tastings also tended to be available if immediately upon arrival you go and ask for tickets. Like immediately. Send SO and kids to eat lunch and wait in line to get a ticket. This had worked well for tastings, brunch, dinner, princess gatherings...... lets see post Covid how it works out.

Early dinning I have always gotten. Almost always wait listed. Now we have always but once had kids, and they were always young kids at that. So that may be a factor. At 5 days out on this trip, we confirmed 5:45 dinner seating. ::yes:: yep yep! You know what that means? Well, when SO is with me it would mean late night room service. Haha. :rotfl2:Now, it probably means early to bed.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter