Monsters, Haunted Houses, Scare Zones and more. HHN 30 fun trip.

They usually have a special limited edition cookie of the month. This time it was lemon poppy seed white chocolate.

We bought 2 of the pistachio toffee chocolate chip. I didn’t get a picture of those and one of the lemon poppy seed.
E4E917B3-AF88-4F86-83E7-042B605133AA.jpeg

DAEEBC0A-3645-4175-A8FC-88FE615B2AAA.jpeg

The cookies were flatter then when I was there last September. The cookies are pretty large. They are not the size that you could eat in one sitting. They are so big they can be cut up and shared or sliced to enjoy many times on your own.

I noticed when we got around to tasting them there were scattered large crystals of salt and sugar which I had not notice last year in the toffee, pistachio chocolate chip. I did not like it as well as last year. My niece said the lemon poppyseed was good. These cookies keep very well in a cool room.

They do a very nice job of packing your cookies to go in a nice box.

After Gideon’s we went to the large Disney store.

F7DD2BF2-1293-49E9-82EE-188046474CE1.jpeg
My niece found a new Haunted Mansion backpack and a few other items.

295B04AD-5481-4D40-AD00-793CB20DDF24.jpeg

They had Sanderson Sister stuffed characters and Thackery Binx coffee cups.

9C812C27-85FF-4209-A11C-980CAC9C52FF.jpeg

Sanderson Sister glasses.
B9259890-C742-4D1A-883C-333E63CAB7CB.jpeg

934836E4-666D-484B-9935-7CBBE1EABBAC.jpeg

Haunted Mansion ears.

63C1BDC9-7945-4DD9-8763-0FE554AE123E.jpeg

There was a nice display of Disney Halloween merchandise.

I liked this caricature drawing of Winifred Sanderson.
A7FFEBFC-1A42-4B76-9625-378BCB36AFDF.jpeg

Last edited:
Monday, September 13th continued.

I wanted to stop by the Star Wars trading post. I was looking for a particular Legacy Light Saber. When I went into the store I found out they no longer sold the Legacy Light Sabers there. . The CM told me they could only be purchased now in Galaxy’s Edge at Doc Ondar’s Den of Antiquities.

I was going to Galaxy’s Edge next week so that was not a problem.

B went to the big Disney toy store and I sat out on the bench enjoying the night. There was distant lightening all around, but no thunder and a breeze kicked up.

We had our purchases in hand and we started walking past the band area and a band was playing “Proud Mary” they were very good. We listened for awhile then headed back to the car.

We arrived back to the parking garage at Portofino and I asked my niece if she was hungry. She had remembered having a chicken Parmesan sandwich from Sal’s a few years ago. So we stopped in and ordered a sandwhich. I was still not hungry from my lunch. She said the sandwich was good.

Sal’s has very good pizza and sandwiches.

We then went back to the room put our purchases in the closet and we took turns in shower and bath. It was about about 10:30 pm and after getting into my pj’s My head hit the pillow and I was fast asleep.

Your trip continues to be fabulous!!!

Those cocktails sure look delish!

I'd be in a sugar coma with all those goodies, lol!

Tuesday, September 14th

I woke up about 8:00 am this morning and went out on the balcony of the room and I could see the long line of people waiting to get on the water taxi. I sat out there until B woke up.

We decided to have some pool time this morning, but first we made our morning stop at Starbucks and sat In the piazza enjoying our coffee and people watched for awhile.

B looked at me and said “man Aunt R you are able to go to sleep really fast” you can fall asleep as soon as you get in your bed” I told her when she reached my age she would be able to do that to...LOL

We got down to the pool about 10:30 am scouted some loungers and got set up. I decided to swim a few laps as there was no one in the pool yet.

F07C1D7D-0D7E-4B76-957B-2871525628D8.jpeg

The pool was chilly to get to, but once I started swimming it was fine. It was about 12:30 when we went into full Pool diva mode......LOL

We ordered our cocktails and food.....We had the same drinks we had had Monday. My thought is if you find a drink you like why not. We ordered the nachos and Turkey Club again.

I told my niece to strike a good diva pose......I laughed when she gave me her “darling I can’t be bothered while I’am having my cocktail pose”.....LOL

371516B1-3B7D-4E80-84CA-8E1CF03377D5.jpeg

We enjoyed another cocktail and about 3 pm the weather started rolling in and thunder could be heard in the distance. I asked our server for the bill so we could get settled as I felt we were going to have to leave the pool again do to weather. Bill was settled and not long after the lifeguards were asking for everyone to clear the pool area. We gathered up our things. Put our towels in the towel bin and went back to the room.

We took turns in the bathroom, dressed and off we went to the premium Outlet Mall on Vineland. We decided to have a quick look around there. We pretty much knew which stores we wanted to look in.

I knew that the Coach Store had some
Jean-Michel Basquiat bags and I wanted to see them.

We went to the Coach Store first and I found the bag and wallet I wanted.

We also made stops at MCM, Kate Spade, Gucci and Vera Bradley.

My niece made her purchases and we needed to get going as we had a dinner reservation to meet my older sister D for dinner.

D lives near Orlando so when I’am in town it is so nice to get together and also nice that B gets to see her other aunt.

B is my younger sister’s daughter.

My older sister D, my younger sister K (B’s mom) and myself are all RN’s.

We had 6::20 dinner reservation at Ruth Chris steak house on SandLake, This was the only time available as all the steak houses were slammed with the magical dining going on in Orlando.

to be continued

Last edited:
Your trip continues to be fabulous!!!

Those cocktails sure look delish!

I'd be in a sugar coma with all those goodies, lol!

Thank you J’aime Paris. I’am enjoying sharing it. I had such a nice time.

The drinks were very good.

We are both not big sweets fans, but made an exception for sure as it was vacation and all...LOL

LOL......sugar coma is right....LOL

The back story on the sweets. We both sampled the Pistachio toffee chocolate chip cookie and it took me a week to finish that one. B took her lemon cookie home and let me know that it was good when her and my sister sampled it and I threw the other cookie away. I had had enough and the cookie did not taste as good as the first time I tasted it last September.

The Haunted House cake we finally sampled Thursday morning and it was delicious. It was very rich and after a few bites each we were done. I will have to say the fondant icing on the cake was the best I have ever tasted. I’am not a fan of fondant, but it was good.

The cake was small, but it could easily feed 3 or 4 who just wanted to sample with a few bites.

Last edited:
Great pictures so far!!!!!!!!!!! Love the posing with those amazing cocktails :drinking1 I love a good cocktail! They looked very refreshing and delicious. I can almost feel the sunshine and heat from your pictures. So far, your trip looks amazing!!!!!

Great pictures so far!!!!!!!!!!! Love the posing with those amazing cocktails :drinking1 I love a good cocktail! They looked very refreshing and delicious. I can almost feel the sunshine and heat from your pictures. So far, your trip looks amazing!!!!!

Thank you Pumpkin. The cocktails were yummy. So glad to see you are reading along.

Tuesday, September 14th continued

I looked down at my watch and it was 6:05 pm. We walked quickly to the SUV loaded our packages and left hoping we would make our 6:20 reservation.

We pulled up at Ruth Chris Steak House at 6:25 pm. We checked in for our reservation and a few minutes later my older sister D arrived and we were showed to our table.

I didn’t tell my older sister, but we were going to celebrate her 65th birthday a little early.

Our table was scattered with Birthday glitter and a birthday card for my sister. That was such a nice touch. We started out with some cocktails.

My niece had the Pomegranate Martini and my sister D had the Classic Lemon Drop Martini.
8093CD7F-AD09-4007-A883-A8B20F6E17F7.jpeg

I had the BlackBerry SideCar.
8C0ACD5C-7A8C-43C2-8610-69408C81EA27.jpeg

All the drinks were delicious.

We all ordered the Lobster Bisque for our starter. The lobster bisque was good.
FEA99950-EF7F-4956-A519-1C68E7BA638A.jpeg

We all decided on the 6 ounce filet and shrimp.
C932567E-4B9B-4B14-B986-B3B90B93AB03.jpeg

The restaurant was getting busy so there was a bit of back ground noise when the waiter delivered the steaks he said something to my niece that I did not hear.

I found out soon enough what was said. “Don’t touch the plates”. The waiter had set mine at an angle and not hearing him I tried to move it in front of me and seared the tops of two fingers on my left hand.

Evidently they broil the steaks and shrimp on these small plates.

If you go to Ruth Chris on SandLake and order steak “DON’T TOUCH YOUR STEAK PLATE”.

We ordered the sweet potato casserole as a shared side on advice of my younger sister as she had said it was good. We also ordered the truffle Mac and cheese.

24009096-3E4A-49F9-8580-1A6C941898FD.jpeg

23D766EF-42AD-446B-98AF-465232B05137.jpeg

Both the sides were good. The side portions could easily feed 4 or 5. We could not finish them.

We all ordered our steaks medium rare and all of them were slightly over cooked.

For dessert we all ordered the cheesecake with fresh berries. These were nice small potions with fresh fruit.

My sister received the birthday cheesecake.
ECC46878-49C9-4200-8707-E6CDDF0119A3.jpeg

It was very sweet of them.

We enjoyed our time visiting and our cocktails. Our waiter was attentive and very nice.

I was waiting for the bill and when the waiter showed up he handed the receipt to my niece. I asked him for the bill and he looked at my niece said it’s been taken care of.

My niece had said she needed to go the the ladies room during the meal and she later told me she sought out our waiter and gave him her card and said she was paying for the meal.

She looked at my sister and I and said she wanted to do something nice for us as we are always doing nice things for her and J ( her son, our sweet great-nephew). That was so sweet of B.

I’am glad we tried Ruth Chris, but having had filets at Ocean Prime and Eddie V’s I think the filets are much better at those two restaurants.

I will make sure on the next trip my niece makes to Orlando to take her to dinner at Ocean Prime for Berries snd Bubbles cocktails and a nice steak dinner.

We had a nice evening visiting. My sister enjoyed her birthday meal.

We said our goodbyes and there were hugs all around. Then we went back to the Resort.

When entering the Portofino doors on the right there is a painting. I have walked past this painting many times and never really stopped to look at it.
A5F985EE-CA2D-4D23-9686-75C93D2AD9D6.jpeg
The Portofino has a beautiful lobby and it smells heavenly in there too.

We walked to our room and it was nice step into the cool air conditioning as it was very humid out.

After taking turns in bathroom for shower and bath we both did internet time and as soon as I laid my head on the pillow I was out.

to be continued

Last edited:
Wednesday, September 15th

Woke up this morning and pulled the curtains back. Wowwwwww the sun was shining for sure. I went behind the curtain and walked out on the patio. Did not want to disturb my niece as she was still sleeping.

I took a deep breath and the smell of Monsters was in the air…. LOL. Today was going to be a Monsterous fun day. Not sure if that is a word, but we will roll with it.

Tonight was our RIP Tour and we were looking forward to it.

I wanted to have a part restful day and part Monster fun day. I knew there would be a lot of walking this evening so wanted to save the legs a little.

I had been out on the balcony watching people loading on to the water taxi. I could hear the Captain having fun with them. Everyone seems so vibrant and happy in the morning when leaving for the parks. Those that stay all day and commando come back tired and exhausted. Those that do early park or morning park time and return at noon look a lot better. I have been there and done them both.

I think I have finally found a good balance between park and restful time. So far so good.

My niece called out that she was up. So we suited up for pool time this morning and went to Starbucks in the piazza for our morning coffee.

While we were having our coffee it dawned on me that I was supposed to change Resorts on Saturday the day I had scheduled my Unmasking The Horror Tour. I had planned a few days at Portofino and a few days at Sapphire Falls.

I told my niece I was going to go and talk to them at the front desk to see if I could extend my stay at Portofino.

I went to the front desk and spoke to Lucy. She was so kind and told me she would take care of extending my stay at Portofino and canceling my stay at Sapphire Falls. She went above and beyond. She was so nice and helpful. I was so thankful she was able to settle things and I would not have to move Resorts Saturday morning.

I have been enjoying the pumpkin cream cold brew as my coffee in the morning.
CD2A7B69-B0C2-49ED-884F-A43E0E2FBE9C.jpeg

After coffee we went back to the room as I wanted to pick up our laundry bag and do the laundry while we were at the pool. I did not want to send my niece back home with a suitcase full of dirty laundry. It had been so hot and humid more clothes were being used.

We chose the Villa pool today. The laundry room is not far from it. We picked out lounge chair covers and towels up on the way in. I went and loaded the laundry.

The sun was shining and there wasn’t anyone in the pool yet so I got in and swam a few laps.

The laundry was done in about 2 hours. I folded the laundry and we stayed at the pool about another hour and then we decided to leave.

My niece was flying back home tomorrow evening and we were going to try and pack as much fun as possible in her last full day here.

She wanted to have lunch at Cowfish so we went back up to the room put the laundry away and took turns in the bathroom showering and bathing dressed and out the door we went.

When going through security I always set off the machines as I have metal in my legs. I had 2 total knee replacements a few years ago and The Orthopedic Doctor who did my surgery laughed and told me I would set off the machines at the airport. I carry a card saying I have had total joint replacements in both knee that contain metal, but the card is useless as it means no difference at the airport or anywhere else.

I have gotten used to it mostly, but it is still a little embarrassing to be patted down every time I go through security at the airport even though I walk through the scanner and they can see the metal in my knees.

I went through security at the water taxi and as always set off the machine. I have to raise my arms and I’am wanded. I told the young fellow on the other side that I had metal in my my knees. I always tell them this as to help them understand where to run the wand and after being wanded they have me go on through.

The young man wanded my legs and asked me if I had any metal in my pockets. I told him no metal in my pockets. I told him again I had total knee replacement on both legs and I had metal in my knees again.

This young security fellow asked me to lift my pant legs to show him the scars on my legs. I have never had this happen before. It was a good thing I was wearing capris. I have 10 inch scars that run over my knees and had some complications on my right knee and leg. So I do not wear shorts as it is unsightly.

I did pull up my Capri pant legs to expose my scars once he saw the scars and said ok and I walked on.

There was a line of people behind me and this was mildly embarrassing, but I chalked it up to him being new. I was glad I had not had a total hip done that would have been embarrassing to show that scar...LOL....and I wouldn’t have.....LOL.

We got on the water taxi and we had a fun Captain on the ride over to CityWalk.

We stopped at the reservation desk for Cowfish gave our name and number and walked over to The Universal Legacy Store to have a look around.

F076E049-D107-4800-A7D1-EC8FDBA5ABA1.jpeg

C08316DF-7F50-4D28-ADE9-ED4C0EE2D94B.jpeg

I do miss the Jaws ride.
7E971ABE-DDC7-4853-A431-E1AEC8E23D44.jpeg

Hagrid’s Motorcycle
10DB1F33-393F-4DA2-8BE9-DCCFE2167F9F.jpeg

31D80B9A-71BC-4F34-8571-AA25393083E1.jpeg

ScareCrow Stalk vignette
58BDF2C2-DBD5-45FE-B551-58133BAD4307.jpeg

This looks like Christopher Lee to me.
4EB01AB6-FCA6-4B88-A080-5200BF055C25.jpeg

This Frankenstein mask reminded me of Fred Gwynne from the Munsters TV show. I saw other Frankenstein masks at other shops that looked totally different.
FFEFB1B2-1AD1-424C-8D45-8D14FAB58735.jpeg

Last edited:
Some HHN merchandise

8C647E1A-09C8-45FB-973D-C8CF2084431E.jpeg

EAB71E65-1046-41DE-BBC5-712ABA6719B4.jpeg

B20618B9-6743-4D96-A92F-21D41ED175DE.jpeg

Another mask. I would be more inclined to pet this Werewolf then run…..LOL
A1527FB2-A441-47BC-A4A3-E4F9940051D2.jpeg

Long sleeved Beetle Juice shirt.
BFEF10C3-77D0-41FC-A42D-3970A6D58A6F.jpeg

I received the text that our table was ready at CowFish.

We scanned the menu. We each ordered a Coke Zero and ordered the Crab Rangoon dip for a starter.
433AC84B-E32D-4A20-B173-F657FD31C6A9.jpeg

The dip was very good. There was a mild hot sauce on the chips. I had never had this before. I would definitely order this again.

To be continued

Last edited:
Wednesday, September 15th continued

We both decided on the Bento Box for our lunch.

3C5852E8-A18D-4113-A4AA-91094CB1AE23.jpeg

This is a really nice option for trying a few things at once. The sweet potato fries at CowFish are delicious.

They have a nice selection of unusual burger combinations and the burgers are huge.

The sushi is very good there too.

We had a wonderful waitress who was very attentive.

While we were having our meal my younger sister B’s mom called us to ask us how our day was going. She reminded me to pace myself today as B and I had the RIP Tour tonight.

She also reminded me about the Jack’d up Experience at Cabana Bay. I had forgotten about that so we decided we should go see that.

Universal did a special Stranger Things room during HHN 2019 at Cabana Bay.

So after we finished our lunch we went to the Big Universal Store and looked around. This store is huge and very nicely laid out. It has a very large section dedicated to WWHP merchandise that you will not see at any of the other stores.

I had not noticed this sign when I was visiting in July
82F575EB-4218-43BC-93B1-94C0707BEA1E.jpeg

We found the HHN 2021 Artist Signature Series Frankenstein Tumbler B wanted. I ended buying a few of these for other family members.
D9C35EBB-FB1F-4A1A-8B4C-F7A69FA19CA7.jpeg

7D15ECEC-2E33-4874-A9FB-E131E10B042E.jpeg

78C1225A-FC10-4463-85D6-7ED43D4E9628.jpeg

58C4709A-CB68-459C-B0CA-922D62149B8F.jpeg

B is a Graphic Artist and she really liked this design. This design was also available in T-shirts and other merchandise.

This is a beautiful vibrant design and one of the nicest T-shirt designs I thought for HHN.
02587560-FE3C-4459-BF5A-CD16C38D52A6.jpeg

They also had a poster. I would purchase this later in the trip.

D5E766C9-E85D-48AD-A41A-A5A26FC4473B.jpeg

We found some fun birthday gifts for little J’s upcoming birthday and after our purchases we set off to catch the bus to Cabana Bay from CityWalk.

I figured this would be the best transportation option.

Last edited:
The Cabana Bay Resort is a beautiful retro 1950’s/1960’s design.

The interior is nice and it has a large airy lobby. It has a large gift store and a Starbucks.

The Halloween window displays were like stepping back in time to the 1960’s
8C289A35-70EF-40B1-A4CC-B6A551E7055A.jpeg

5CB3619B-7F70-4124-861F-7BE028C1E2D5.jpeg

The sun was reflecting on the windows and it was hard to get a good photo.

The “Jack’d up room Experience” is on the second floor.

We took the elevator to the second floor.

CC3E4E8B-0531-464C-A723-0CA859FFDDAC.jpeg

The “Jacked up Experience” is for onsite Resort guests only.

We were the only ones there. I think it was about 2 pm.

You are required to show your room key and we did. The lovely TM took us inside. There were some nice photo ops and some nice memorabilia on display.

The human food blender
A9839DD8-14E0-47D5-B316-D0F560240E3D.jpeg

BF77B917-1B2F-4AA0-86E0-B5DE47F439B6.jpeg

306784F2-67F0-46F4-A829-0BDF7E3AE5EE.jpeg

751231C7-3539-4E90-ABE7-9F2E9FA920A4.jpeg

6991B541-D19E-46AD-88AB-330F3283B02C.jpeg

C0F6BA0F-A04B-48D6-8047-BE6CC6233275.jpeg

9B4DEBFA-D75C-4DFD-8459-20746BECD7C8.jpeg

Last edited:
D0D67AA9-AC26-405C-B2D2-142ADB62F45A.jpeg

33719CD5-0F2C-4A25-B816-262365541248.jpeg

E57F1ECC-8860-46F5-9237-F15A2DA55AF1.jpeg

After we were finished looking around and getting photos we needed to get back to the Portofino.

We caught the bus. It also stops at Aventura Resort. My plan was to get off the bus at Aventura walk the short walk to Sapphire Falls catch the water taxi to CityWalk and transfer over to our water taxi to Portofino.

When we reached the water taxi area at Sapphire Falls it was packed with people. We knew we would not be getting back to Citywalk any time soon that way so we decided to go back to Aventura and catch the bus back to CityWalk and then catch our water taxi to Portofino.

It was about 4 pm when we made it back to our room. Put our purchases away and we took turns in the bathroom with much needed shower and bath and then I took a nap.

Our Tour was not until 8:30 pm so we had plenty of time for a little rest.

Last edited:
It was so cute and visually irresistible. I had never purchased a cake from Amorettes before. What did you think of it?

It looked cute for sure! I've only purchased the smaller dome cakes before. The size of the petit cake was a little much for just me. I thought it tasted okay, but didn't think it was worth $23, but it was adorable!

You're dinner at Ruth's Chris looked delicious! & I never made it over to the Jack experience at Cabana Bay, but it looks awesome!

Jack`d Up Experience at Cabana Bay does look good. I think I would have to venture over to see that if they do it again next year.

I think Ruth`s Chris was a better experience for us in NYC than the Orlando one, and yes, those plates are nuclear hot!!! I agree, Eddie V`s and Ocean Prime are superior.

Nice merchandise items.......enjoying your report and pictures too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter