Monterey

Alice's Mom

<font color=deeppink>My little one has now become
Tell me about your Monterey experience.

Where did you stay? What did you do, besides the aquarium.

Any tips or advice gladly appreciated

Thanks!

hmm can't tell you about past experience but in April we're going.
I can't really help you on accommodation as we are sleeping on the beach.
Be we will be going to the aquarium, and then surfing a little farther north, renting kayaks, and/or going to Big Sur.
San Fran is also a very short drive, and a pretty cool place to check out.

We've stayed at the Portola Plaza Hotel. It's a nice place to stay with direct access to ta walking/biking path that goes all the way down to the aquarium and beyond. It is also adjacent to the wharf, which has some neat shops and restaurants. We ususlly bring our bikes (but you can also rent them there) and ride around most of the day, visit canery row shops, have some chowder in a bread bowl (love it at Fish Hopper). If you go to Monterey, make sure to do the 17 mile drive. It is beautifully scenic and takes you into Carmel. I'm not sure when you're thinking of going, but in the summer, it is usually foggy in the morning. But it ususlly burns off by noon or so.

We stayed at a random place near a mall. Lol, it was cheap on hotels.com- didn't mind it at all!

We went to a pottery painting place off of cannery row (it was like an enclosed mini mall by the aquarium) We had them ship our pieces to us. We also did the glow in the dark mini golf which was fun.

We went to the house of wax. It was so cheesy that it was fantastic.

we basically just took our time strolling through the shops, etc.

We also went to the SantaCruz boardwalk which was pretty fun. And the mystery spot!!

you must do the 17 mile drive, and plan on lots of stops.One of the most beautiful drives in the world.

We stayed at the Monterey Bay Lodge

We did go to the Aquarium and spent a day at Cannery Row, then dinner on the wharf.

We spent an afternoon at Lovers Beach (I think that is what it was called) in Pacific Grove exploring the tide pools.

17 mile drive is beautiful - plan to stop a lot, take lots of pictures and take your time.

Go into Carmel and have lunch, do some shopping and drive around and look at some of the really unique bungalows & houses. Note the houses do not have numbers for addresses, many have names instead.

Dennis the Menace park is fun for the younger set.

Drive south to Big Sur and explore the cliffs while enjoying amazing ocean views from way up high.

We've stayed at the Portola Plaza Hotel. It's a nice place to stay with direct access to ta walking/biking path that goes all the way down to the aquarium and beyond. It is also adjacent to the wharf, which has some neat shops and restaurants. We ususlly bring our bikes (but you can also rent them there) and ride around most of the day, visit canery row shops, have some chowder in a bread bowl (love it at Fish Hopper). If you go to Monterey, make sure to do the 17 mile drive. It is beautifully scenic and takes you into Carmel. I'm not sure when you're thinking of going, but in the summer, it is usually foggy in the morning. But it ususlly burns off by noon or so.

Fish Hopper has an awesome view but can be hit or miss on quality. Better chowder either at the market by Breakwater or Vivolo's Chowder House on Lighthouse.

If you scuba dive, the diving is great (although cold) if you can happen upon good visibility.

We stayed at the Best Western Beach Resort, which was about 5 miles from the aquarium. But it was directly on the beach and our kids loved it. The rooms we're on the smaller side but were fine. It has a restaurant on the top floor with an ocean view. The hotel also offers ocean or garden (parking lot) views. We choose the garden view as it was cheaper and it was fine for us. Also the rooms come with a small fridge. Right up the road from this hotel is a McDonald's and a Chili's. We did the aquarium and Cannery Row. If you decide to go to the aquarium on a weekend I suggest getting your tickets online prior to your trip, you can pick them up at will call and go into a different entrance(less crowded). I also know that there is an indoor glow in the dark mini golf corse near the aquarium.

We love the aquarium and go often.

The 17 mile drive is really pretty.

Carmel is a really nice little town to visit, with a gorgeous beach at the end of the main street there, Ocean Ave. There are lots of shops and restaurants there, and it is very picturesque.

There is also a little beach down the road from the Aquarium, but it is not as nice as the one in Carmel.

Have a fantastic time! The natural beauty of the California Coast makes Monterey Bay a really special place to visit.

We really like staying in Pacific Grove (town next to Monterey). Asilomar Beach has some lodging that seems good for families. My husband and I used to like to stay in the bed and breakfasts around Lover's Point before we had kids. Have also gotten great deals on lodging in Carmel.

There are many non-descript hotels/motels all over that are fine. I would recommend one, but I have family in the area and we usually stay with them now.

Besides aquarium, 17 mile drive, cannery row, Carmel, take a drive down to Big Sur if you have the time. Have lunch at Nepenthe. Also, Point Lobos is a beautiful park for hikes (just south of Carmel). There is also a nice little beach to hang out on at the end of Ocean Avenue in Carmel.

Monterey/Carmel is a great place for scuba diving, although the water is much colder than any Carribean diving experience you may have had. The Monterey area is home to several species of kelp, which support a variety of underwater life. For those not diving, the Monterey Aquarium (expensive) is an excellent representation of the underwater scenery that you are missing, and well worth the price of admission. They have penguins, too, which are my favorite. Chilly Willy is cool, too.

The aquarium is awesome there. lots of things to see. lots of shopping. i would suggest eating at Bubba Gumps Great place to eat, and family friendly.
i prefer Carmel nice shops, great beach, we stayed at my aunts house there, but hotels are nice. Eating out should definately be done at the Hogs Breath Inn (formerly owned by Clint Eastwood). They have an outdoor fire place, nice setting. ;)

We were there a year ago, stayed at a B&B in Pacific Grove.

http://www.oldstangelainn.com/

It was a great visit, we will be back! Driving and walking along the beach at sunset was incredible. We went out on a whale watching trip, dress warmly if you go, the temps out on the water were cold! Even in June, some people had on winter coats/hats/mittens.

http://www.montereybaywhalewatch.com/

we were not there long enough to explore the wineries in the region. That will be a priority on our next visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter