Mosquitos at VWL and OKW

StephenKay

DVC Member VWL 2001
I wonder if anyone can tell me if I will have a problem with mosquitos while vacationing in July this year at OKW or VWL. We usually go to WDW in September and haven't really had a problem with them before.

Mosquitos love me, I am one of those type of people that they just love to bite!!

Will I have to stock up on my Mosquito Guard?

Thanks in anticipation.

Mary Kay

CBR 1998
ASMo 2000
DVC VWL 2001
OKW July 01
VWL July 01

We've been several times in July and have never been bothered by mosquitos in the parks. Several of us in the family tend to be "attractors" when the mosquitos come out so I think we are good judges! Even on a few nights when we went to the pool after 10 p.m. we have not been bothered. (And we always have trouble with mosquitos at night in Kansas!)

Watch your OKW porch after dark. One night in May I went out to see the fireworks from Illuminations in my bare feet. The next day I noticed several bites on my feet & legs. I couldn't figure out how I got them on my feet when I always wear socks & tennis shoes to the parks. Then I remembered the night before....

I'm sure there must be mosquitos at WDW -- but my family and I have never been bitten by one at WDW, and we've stayed at OKW during each of the four seasons. In fact, I've never even seen a mosquito at WDW.

I assume this has somehing to do with the fact that Disney owns around 30,000 acres at WDW, so they're in a position to control situations that would allow mosquitos to breed.

When we chose to buy at OKW in 1994, I was somewhat concerned that the balconies at OKW aren't screened in as is typical at other Orlando area timeshares. I now understand why. And I'm glad they're not screened in.

Be careful anywhere near the water from dusk onwards.

We were bitten o the ferry from OKW to market place and while waiting for fantasmic.

Be prepared with bug spray or stick and you will be OK.

Phil

We just got back today did not have any problems with mosquitos but the no see ums really got us there are alot of bites on my feet and legs bug spray helps got off that said even helps against no see ums they only itch alittle LOL

Several years ago we stayed at Fort Wilderness. We took our girls to see the movie with Chip & Dale, and our youngest daughter received so many mosquito bites she became ill (she is really sensitive to bites.) Anyway, I don't know about VWL in July, but there were LOTS of mosquitoes in the campground. Maybe Disney has found a way to control them since then.:confused:

We usually are in Fla. in July, and vary our places. This past week we stayed at VWL, last year Boardwalk, year before OKW. We also go in March and Oct.

We went down to the beach area to watch the cute and short electric water parade. I got several bites while there. I did get a whopper on my back......but we were at the pools late at nite, every nite.

Two years ago in Oct. Disney closed all pools at dusk due to the encephalitis outbreak in Florida. There was a sign stating why pools were closed.......and for once people obeyed the stated rules.

I spent many evenings on our deck at OKW in May and never had one mosquito bite. Come to think of it it seems that WDW in general is a mosquito free zone.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :sunny: :wave:

:) I have been to WDW many times and only saw one but while I was there. It was very large but was the lone bug at WDW. Bugs are not the problem at WDW, too many people are the problem. July is a busy month for people not bugs.

My DH, a former CM at MK, was under the impression that Disney has their own dept. for bug control, some spraying they do to help keep things under control....? He worked there a long time ago, so not too sure on this. :)

I've been bitten while on or near the waterways...the trip back to the hotel from Downtown Disney was particularly bad at night. Elsewhere I haven't had a problem... However I will add that I've noticed an increasing amount of insect life around Disney. My guess is that they can't control them as closely as they used to what with the existence of Animal Kingdom.

Just keep in mind where you see fish there are probably insects.

I recently did the "Behind the Scenes Tour" at The Land in Epcot and one of the other guests on the tour that lives in Florida asked why WDW seems so free of Mosquitos in general.

Answer: Lots of spraying!

The cast memeber told us Disney sprays every possible inch of the parks and resorts, in addition to using as many natural mosquito preditors as possible. He did mention the recent opening Animal Kingdom had caused some re-thinking and new methods for spraying.

Originally posted by The4OfUs
My DH, a former CM at MK, was under the impression that Disney has their own dept. for bug control, some spraying they do to help keep things under control....? He worked there a long time ago, so not too sure on this. :)

They sure do... it's called Pest Management. Sometimes we think they need Guest Management too, but that's another topic ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter