Most comfortable mattress you ever slept on

My concern is how much would you really be able to tell by laying on the mattress for 10 minutes in a store...while the salesperson stares at you? It may feel comfortable for a few minutes, but a nights' sleep...or many nights sleep...is an entirely different thing. It's almost like test driving a car, but even more difficult.

Yep, that was why I suffered with sore hips and shoulders for years! I actually had a really good salesperson. Once I told her about the research I'd done, she was motivated to work WITH me, not to sell me. I tried a couple of beds, and as a side sleeper, she looked at the alignment of my back. Pointed me out to a couple mattresses, so I ended up just choosing between two. (that were pretty much the ones I'd found online. In fact, I'd picked that store because they had the one I wanted to try out.) At that point, all she had to do was make it more convenient for me to buy it there, rather than online.

As for hotels, there are tons of websites that will lead you to their beds. But Starwood and Disney both use Beautyrest. (we had some awesome pillows at a hotel in CA, which I found online, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on $100 for two pillows.) By looking at the construction of their mattresses, I was able to look at comparable retail versions. Eventually, it came down to delivery and pick up of the old mattress. I could get it delivered on a weekend, with a two hour window, with the old mattress hauled off, or take a day off of work and wait all day for a truck, then deal with getting the old one out of the house.

Just about everywhere (except the hotel purchases) have a 4 month return window. You get a credit of all but a set amount. You can purchase returned mattresses for a discount. I have a really high ick tolerance, but that was too ick for me. :rotfl2:

I have allot of back issues and always tossed and turned. We ended up going to a store by us called ArtVan and they have a machine that has you lay on a mattress and they measure the hardness you need for perfect support. We ended up getting one that is a split mattress yet you can't feel the division. So comfortable.

Oh, my, buying a new mattress is almost up there with getting a root canal for me!! I absolutely hate it. We've had a Temperpedic - nope, never again - too warm, and hard to turn over in, but kept it for several years anyway.

Now, have a sleep number bed, nope, too hard, no matter how I try to set the numbers. To get it softer, it sags, doesn't really soften at all. Not sure what we're going to do now.
Can't tell by lying on one for a few min - don't want too soft, nor too firm.

Quite the dilemma!

Oh, my, buying a new mattress is almost up there with getting a root canal for me!! I absolutely hate it. We've had a Temperpedic - nope, never again - too warm, and hard to turn over in, but kept it for several years anyway.

Now, have a sleep number bed, nope, too hard, no matter how I try to set the numbers. To get it softer, it sags, doesn't really soften at all. Not sure what we're going to do now.
Can't tell by lying on one for a few min - don't want too soft, nor too firm.

Quite the dilemma!

Exactly! That's what we have now, a Sleep Number and no matter how we soften it it lowers to the point of sagging doesn't soften. I have a wool and latex topper to help. And also doesn't conform to my low back so now I'm getting low back pain. And my husband it hurts his hips now that we're older as he's a side sleeper and lowers it way down and still has issues. Thank you for confirming that we are not crazy! And it's so hard to go into the store and buy a new one as we don't want to make the same mistake again.

Last edited:
Ok, I have problems with chemicals, so I sleep on natural latex. Even the "coolest" memory foam mattresses cause me to sweat. I have 5" of soft latex toppers on top of a medium firm base, and sleep like a baby. No joint pain, husband either and he's a side sleeper.

Latex we are seriously considering. I've seen a few by me in specialty store, one called Savvy Rest. I also don't want to go through off gassing of memory foam which really bothers me. I have had latex topper for my bed to try to help and a wool topper.

My concern is how much would you really be able to tell by laying on the mattress for 10 minutes in a store...while the salesperson stares at you? It may feel comfortable for a few minutes, but a nights' sleep...or many nights sleep...is an entirely different thing. It's almost like test driving a car, but even more difficult.

It is soooo true which is why we've been looking for a year lol, but we're having such issues it's time.

I have seen some talk about the Heavenly bed from Westin BUT they told me you cannot put on an adjustable base. Another thing I want to do is reuse our adjustable base. When you go to the regular mattress stores, the Beautyrest which I think make them, most all can be put on adjustable bases I thought. I wonder which Beautyrest is close to the Heavenly bed. I think if I can figure that out would consider one of those but may use some points of mine and stay a night in a Westin haven't been in one in awhile just to check out the bed again lol.

We have loved our Beauty Rest BLACK.
I think it is one of the best mass market name-brands out there.
However, after a few years now, I think it is beginning to 'give' a little bit.

If I were buying a new mattress today... I might consider to buy the absolutely HARDEST and durable unpadded Beauty Rest mattress.
And top it with a nice Vytex LATEX topper. I have slept on latex on a hardwood floor, WAY back when. And still don't think I have experienced anything that slept better.

@tinkerdorabelle, I feel your pain! :)
We have also talked about getting a latex mattress, have heard good stuff, but we're sort of sick of the whole subject.
They 'all' promise so much...

I agree, as we get older, it's so much harder to find a comfortable mattress. Dh & I were just talking about that. When we were younger, we just bought a mattress and we were happy. 'Now', a really big issue!

My Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme mattress is the best one I have ever had. We have had a Tempurpedic since 2003 and will never stray from that brand. They are fantastic. Supportive, soft and firm at the same time (I get very bad hip pain from regular mattresses). We have never had issues with being hot, but we run the AC nightly at 68., year round. We can't sleep when it's any warmer, regardless of what kind of bed we are sleeping on. Also, these last FOREVER. They are expensive, but the annual cost ends up being really low when you figure they easily last 20 years.

Don't know if I can do this, but we bought from a place in AZ that ships. Very good prices, search for " latex mattresses on sale Arizona". Also give very good advice if you call them.

Ugh... just talking about this. I loved my mattress..until I noticed of late... dents in it. Huh? And of course there’s no flipping anymore. And Hubby side looks/ feels worse than mine.
:(
5 years n 3k later, totally disappointed.
Not sure I’m ready to research/shop/negotiate n be bothered with it all. Ugh!

Purple!!!

I was skeptical, but after a year I'm a believer. It has held up beautifully and I have slept better in the past year than ever in my life. I have never been a good sleeper, but the combo of a Purple mattress and ear plugs has changed my life :rotfl:

I hate mattress shopping with a fiery passion, we did consider the Beauty Rest Black, but I could not commit to anything. I did a lot of research, and I got so sick of looking at mattresses that I wanted to just roll out a sleeping bag and say screw it, LOL! (ok, ok, that's an exaggeration. But only a slight one!)

DH said, "why don't we just try one of the internet mattresses? They have the 60 night trials, what can it hurt?" So, I narrowed it down to the Purple and *i think* the helix. I didn't want anything with layers, so we went with the traditional (at the time, I think they have different versions now??) Purple. One night in and I was sold.
Like I said, it's been a year, and I have no desire to ever sleep on anything else again.

It wasn't necessarily what I thought was that great, but one night we stayed at a hotel after camping the night before. She was raving about the mattress and asking if there was anyway we could get something like it. We looked under the sheets and it was made by Spring Air, but it was clearly a hotel-style double-sided mattress that could be flipped. She wanted to me to look and find who sold Spring Air, even though their consumer mattresses were only single sided at that time. We never ended up buying one though. The company went bankrupt rather quickly, and I'm not sure who really made their mattresses when the company came out of bankruptcy.

I'd actually bought a Spring Air mattress myself years before I was married. It was odd too as I got it at a special event at their now closed factory in Union City, California. They had a small showroom where we could look at all the available models. It was really cheap, although the mattress I got was really thick. A lot of times I had to really stretch the sheets to fit it.

Which model of the Purple do you have???
Can you explain what you think is working great with it?

Just asking, because I am also seeing some negative reviews.

Whatever you pick, go with a brand that offers a comfort guarantee/reselection option. There are required time frames (you generally need to sleep in it for a minimum amount of time), and some retailers will require you to pay a delivery fee to make the switch, but it beats getting stuck with a mattress you can't sleep on. And it really calms the nerves when making a big purchase to know you have that option, if needed.

For those of you who sleep hot, ask around at higher end bedding retailers for cooling sheets. There are a few brands that really work. I like the ones from Bedgear.

Also, a good salesperson will fit you for a pillow when you are trying out a mattress. Having the wrong kind of pillow for the position you most often sleep in will cause alignment issues as well, and that can make any mattress feel less than ideal.

I personally don't care for memory foam, but many people swear by it. If you buy any foam mattress in the Winter, especially memory foam, don't plan on sleeping on it right away. Cold will make the product hard- it can take 48 hours or more to adjust. Most warehouses are not heated well, if at all. And the back of that delivery truck isn't heated either (ask your retailer how far ahead they load their delivery trucks- for large retailers with lots of trucks, they may be prepped and loaded the night before).

There are lots of good brands but everyone sleeps differently, so go with a retailer with a good reputation for customer service and get very familiar with the warranty terms on whatever you pick. Also, get the best mattress protector you can. Even the slightest stain can void the warranty on most mattresses, regardless of age or defect.

I know none of this really answers the OP's question, but I hope it's useful info anyway!

I have allot of back issues and always tossed and turned. We ended up going to a store by us called ArtVan and they have a machine that has you lay on a mattress and they measure the hardness you need for perfect support. We ended up getting one that is a split mattress yet you can't feel the division. So comfortable.
Sounds like a Kingsdown Bedmatch system? LoveLovelove Kingsdown. They test mattresses from other manufacturers so they can give you recommendations across multiple brands, too. If I ever give up my Sleep Number, I'm bringing home a Red 700.

I would stay away from anything Simmons Beautyrest or Serta. I’ve owned mattress stores for 18 years and had to drop those brands. I was over a 50% warranty return rate with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter