motion sickness help.

englishman

Mouseketeer
My wife wants to ride Spiderman & BTF but is worried about motionsickness. She has been able to do Dinosaur at AK but not Startours at MGM. Please advise...?
Thanks.

BTTF is a lot more aggressive than Star Tours. Spider-Man's motion is a lot smoother. If you are worried about motion sickness, you should probably avoid BTTF.

I took Dramamine and BTF is still too much for me. Spiderman is ok except for one spot where there is a falling effect you may want to close your eyes on. If you do close your eyes there is not enough physical motion to cause problems. I actually had a problem on the back seat of Cat in the Hat. Learned to ask for the front seat. One of the cars was off limits in MIB because apparently that had affected someone.

There is a perscription medication (at least here in the USA) called Transderm Scop. It is a small patch (about the size of a penny) That you place behind your ear. So far, this is the most effective medication against motion sickness I have found.

I get motion sickness easily - I wore the patch mentioned above and was able to ride everything during
our trip to WDW w/o a problem. No one else in my family usually suffers like I do, but everyone but me (thanks to my patch) felt queasy after Star Tours. It is by prescription only, however. There are over the counter meds - dramamine, seabands (that you wear on your wrist) that you may check out. (Even with the patch, I was still not brave enough to attempt a spin on the teacups!) Good luck!

FWIW, Star Tours makes me queasy and BTTF doesn't. I think it's a matter of how well the visuals are synced to the motion. Star Tours and others of the same generation of simulator (Wild Artic at SW, Akbar at BGT) don't seem to do a very good job of that.

BTTF is light years ahead of those older generation rides. It will help if you are in a vehicle near the center of the screen.

Spider-Man does an excellent job of syncing visuals and motion, too. I have never had a problem on Spider Man.

FWIW, Star Tours makes me queasy and BTTF doesn't. I think it's a matter of how well the visuals are synced to the motion. Star Tours and others of the same generation of simulator (Wild Artic at SW, Akbar at BGT) don't seem to do a very good job of that.

BTTF is light years ahead of those older generation rides. It will help if you are in a vehicle near the center pf the screen.

I got a little bit queasy on Spiderman, but for me the worst ride of the day in terms of motion sickness was the Cat in the Hat. I take Bonine when I go to the parks, but I cannot ride anything that SPINS! The Cat in the Hat cars (couches) spin in circles quite a bit and I thought I was gonna lose it.

I do okay on Star Tours at MGM (feel a little queasy but the ride is do-able) and recall getting a little nauseous on BTTF a few years back (party because I'm claustrophobic and those cars kind of got to me).

I haven't been to Universal since they opened Men in Black but will be there this December. I'm very nervous about riding it since the cars spin quite a bit from what I've heard.

I guess for your wife it just depends what sets off her motion sickness. Spinning? Cars jerking? It's different for everyone.

Just got back a few weeks ago and this is what I did - took Meclizine each night and it was a big help! This is the generic version of Bonine or non drowsy Dramine. It is good for 24 hours so I took it before bedtime. It does make you a bit drowsy though a lot different then regular dramine - but take it at night it helps you sleep and then helps the next day. I even did BTTF once (passed the 2nd time, too jerky for me) and had no problem on MIB, Hulk or Cat in the Hat and on spiderman only that one scene is bad but is so fast it didn't really matter. I will definitely do it again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter