Motion sickness that ISNT the patch?

I’m a “less drowsy” Dramamine gal. Usually a half is enough for me to get through Forbidden journey and the Simpson without hurling LOL

For those of you that said you take at night starting a few days before the trip, do you have to supplement during the day or does it last that long? I’m curious to try this but afraid I’ll get sick if it has “worn off”. I usually take Dramamine (less drowsy) a couple of hours before I think I’ll need it. Thanks!

For those of you that said you take at night starting a few days before the trip, do you have to supplement during the day or does it last that long? I’m curious to try this but afraid I’ll get sick if it has “worn off”. I usually take Dramamine (less drowsy) a couple of hours before I think I’ll need it. Thanks!

I think it depends on how you feel. I'm a morning and night person but I'm trying to keep my ear crystals in place for most things. The one ride it helps my stomach is ToT because I have a hard time with the up and down but not with the meclizine.

I always carry it with me, both at home and on vacation and will take it if my ear is making my head feel off. If taking it a couple of hours before you need it has worked then I would continue with that. But I would base it off how you feel. If you take it in the morning and are good for the rest of the day, then I would say you're good. If you can't make it all day then I'd take another in the afternoon.

For those of you interested:
Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine have the same active ingredient--meclizine. Most doses are 25 mg. I use generic meclizine. It works well for me, but I can only take 1/2 of a pill each night or else I feel worse than the vertigo symptoms make me feel. It doesn't make me sleepy, but once I go to sleep, I have trouble waking up. If I take a whole pill, I'm very groggy the next day. I start my 1/2 pill treatment at night about a week before the trip and take it for the whole trip plus about a week after the trip.

Late to the party - but Amazon has anti-nausea ginger/mint candy that I find works really well if you can't take any OTC medications. I recommend Tummydrops since they have packs that come in reusable tins that are easy to throw into a bag. They're not the best for preventing, but they work in a pinch. There's also chemotherapy inhalers that are similar to Vicks VapoInhaler that have mint essential oils in them that help with sudden nausea/migraines.
If you're a gamer, I found that trying to build up my tolerance to screen-based rides with VR games (or just working on my laptop while on a rocking chair) seems to help. If you can survive playing a game that is poorly optimized for VR (cough cough, many roblox games, cough cough), then it's a lot easier to survive Disney's rides.

I tried Bonine for the first time when we went to Universal last spring. I was AMAZED by how well it worked. I could ride everything. Some rides had moments where I felt a moment of dizziness/queasiness, but it passed quickly. There is absolutely no way I could have ridden screen rides and roller coasters there without it.

I've tried them all too. The patch worked for me for motion sickness, but had a mild amnesiac effect.
Ginger, sea bands, oils etc. are more for symptoms than prevention.

Meclizine (Bonine or Less-drowsy Dramamine) works well for me...BUT, the key for me is to take it a day or two BEFORE the trip, at NIGHT, and take ONE each night for the duration of the trip. This way, the dose gradually builds to a steady state while the most drowsy effects are during the night while I sleep. (Caution: Original Dramamine is not meclazine. It's dimenhydrinate and makes most people very drowsy).
Thank you for this advice. I read this thread just before my trip last week. Normally, I just feel a little off immediately after riding Star Tours or Forbidden Journey, but I fear it may get worse as I get older. Took Bonine every night, starting 2 days out from our trip and I had no issues!

I also have terrible motion sickness but find that Bonine works well for me most of the time. However, it didn't work for FoP; I just hunker down with my eyes closed and focus on feeling the breeze on my face. If I open my eyes, I'm done for.

A little internet searching makes me think that this is like SeaBands, only with slight electrical impulses instead of just pressure. I wouldn't want to find out in the middle of a flight that it DOESN"T work for me- because the SeaBands sure don't.
ETA 7 day trial band is $99, "classic" band w/one tube of gel is $140... prices go up from there.

Regarding the scope patch... I usually only have blurred vision when I somehow transfer some of the patch medication directly to my eye. I have found that if I put a bandaid "dot" (it's a bandaid that's about 1" square) over the scope patch, this doesn't happen (or else those have been the times when I haven't inadvertently tucked my hair behind my ear and then rubbed my eye a while later). I've had good luck with ondansetron (Zoloft) but you need a prescription for this.
ondansetron is Zofran, not Zoloft. Big difference

Another Bonine fan here. Start 2 nights before trip and take each night of trip.

Worked for us on a very rocky cruise, no nausea at all while everyone else was dropping like flies. Also, I can drink wine while taking with no issues.

I purchased a Reliefband a few months ago and it works great for me. the seabands were not cutting it for me anymore after years of using them.
I also take a zofran (prescription) every morning as well as chew ginger gum throughout the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter