Motorhome dreams...

Princesca

<3 Pink sugar heart attack! <3
I have been obsessed with motorhomes since camping as a kid. We always had tents, but my grandparents had a motorhome, and we would sometimes stay with them, and I have so many fond memories of camping with it. I was hoping that I'd be able to buy one someday, used of course, because the new ones cost more than my house, but everything is so expensive! It's hard to find anything for less than $10k, and even at that price point, they're fully rusted out, leaking, etc., and we are not very handy.

Does anyone have any tips for finding affordable used RVs? We looked into a towed camper at one point, but the most tow-friendly vehicle we have is a Subaru Outback and it can't pull much more than a pop-up, which I don't really want. I was looking at getting some mods on a minivan, just basically to sleep/hang out in, with outside everything else, but of course the car market has skyrocketed as well.

I check RVT, RV Trader, and Facebook Marketplace. Gave up on Craigslist as it's virtually all scammers, anymore.

I would hold off for a year, the RV market is still pretty hot right now, but with the price of fuel and campsite cost now (heading to Utah this week and a standard KOA is right at $100 a night, last year it was $65) I think a lot of the new RV owners will be selling their campers and you can get better selections. FYI, under 10K is not going to happen. Our first travel trailer, a 27' no slide outs "starter" trailer was 13K in 2001

I would hold off for a year, the RV market is still pretty hot right now, but with the price of fuel and campsite cost now (heading to Utah this week and a standard KOA is right at $100 a night, last year it was $65) I think a lot of the new RV owners will be selling their campers and you can get better selections. FYI, under 10K is not going to happen. Our first travel trailer, a 27' no slide outs "starter" trailer was 13K in 2001

Yeah, I mean I was looking at motorhomes from like 1978, and even some beat up old conversion vans, and was hoping to find something FSBO, but I've come to accept that isn't going to happen. We're looking for something small, too, as there's just two of us and a toddler right now and I don't want a big one. I really want a class C but the giant class As are more affordable and usually in better condition than the Cs of comparable years/miles. I'm guessing it's because of gas mileage, maybe, that people don't want them as much?

I agree with @team bradfield
A lot of people bought over the last few years that really didn't know what they were getting into. There's going to be a lot of used MHs out there in a year or so. You said you've wanted one for a long time so I'm thinking you can wait a little while longer. So price of fuel is going to be a bigger deal than what it was a year or so ago. Add to that people are going to want to get rid of what they have because the life isn't for them. There will be a lot to chose from but I agree that under $10k isn't going to happen unless you find a real unicorn. Best of luck to you and keep us posted. You can request opinions from the gang in here which isn't like the rest of the forums. You'll get honest, reasoned answers that will be tailored to what you are asking. There's a lot of experience in here and we're willing to share.

Yeah, I mean I was looking at motorhomes from like 1978, and even some beat up old conversion vans, and was hoping to find something FSBO, but I've come to accept that isn't going to happen. We're looking for something small, too, as there's just two of us and a toddler right now and I don't want a big one. I really want a class C but the giant class As are more affordable and usually in better condition than the Cs of comparable years/miles. I'm guessing it's because of gas mileage, maybe, that people don't want them as much?

Now there is an unofficial rule in the camping world about 10 years. Some campgrounds will not allow vehicles older than 10 years. Now if the RV is in good shape and looks good one may not have a problem. I have had campgrounds ask for a picture, my MH is a 2008, when they see it is well taken care of, they have no problem.
If you roll in with a 1980 RV that looks like Cousin Eddies, from Christmas vacation, you are most likely going to be turned away. Now State Parks and National Parks are different, they don't really care what it looks like.

You mention Class A, they are expensive when it comes to up keep. Air filter is $120.00, my yearly service oil change, filters is $1300.00, this year I needed some other work done and my get ready to camp bill was over 4000.00
They are expensive up front and expensive to maintain.

I agree with @team bradfield
A lot of people bought over the last few years that really didn't know what they were getting into. There's going to be a lot of used MHs out there in a year or so. You said you've wanted one for a long time so I'm thinking you can wait a little while longer. So price of fuel is going to be a bigger deal than what it was a year or so ago. Add to that people are going to want to get rid of what they have because the life isn't for them. There will be a lot to chose from but I agree that under $10k isn't going to happen unless you find a real unicorn. Best of luck to you and keep us posted. You can request opinions from the gang in here which isn't like the rest of the forums. You'll get honest, reasoned answers that will be tailored to what you are asking. There's a lot of experience in here and we're willing to share.

Thanks so much! I will hang in there awhile longer. :)

Now there is an unofficial rule in the camping world about 10 years. Some campgrounds will not allow vehicles older than 10 years. Now if the RV is in good shape and looks good one may not have a problem. I have had campgrounds ask for a picture, my MH is a 2008, when they see it is well taken care of, they have no problem.
If you roll in with a 1980 RV that looks like Cousin Eddies, from Christmas vacation, you are most likely going to be turned away. Now State Parks and National Parks are different, they don't really care what it looks like.
I have heard that, and I can kinda see why, though I do think it's a bit of a shame. As a child of the 70s/80s, I love seeing new life being breathed into old rigs.

I have heard that, and I can kinda see why, though I do think it's a bit of a shame. As a child of the 70s/80s, I love seeing new life being breathed into old rigs.
Mine is an 06 and we've never been turned away either.

I am also secretly hoping my aunt and uncle will let me buy their class C on the (relative) cheap if they decide to let go of camping. That will be a sad day for them, so I also hope it's a long way off, too.

It depends on what you want as a "motorhome", but $10k is unrealistic for something that won't need a lot of work. Like @team bradfield and @Stratman50th said, the market right now is ridiculous. Many of us have been speculating when the bubble will burst, but so far, interest rates and fuel prices haven't done much to cool things off and the "flood" of 1st time buyers with reality sinking in hasn't materialized yet either.

One thing you may want to consider would be a "schoolie". They are converted school buses. There is a huge online community with lots of great ideas. Schools are required to replace them after so many years or miles and the bus can be picked up at auction fairly cheap depending on what you are looking for. I've talked to a number of people that had one. Depending on the age and condition of the schoolbus, many people have said you can build a nice one for under $20k. I'm not sure about buying one already converted. Some campgrounds also have rules against them, but the Fort and all the state park and COE places around me welcome them.

Here is a fun story of a couple that built one. https://www.insider.com/tour-tiny-house-school-bus-family-teenagers-2020-8

j

I just saw a nice 25 ft trailer (no slides) listed for $9500, but you would need a truck or larger SUV to tow it. Motorhomes are rarely below $25K. We bought our class C for $26K in 2016. It was 12 years old and about 2 years later, we had to completely redo the cabover area because it was leaking. Thanks to online videos and advice from my grandpa (who similarly repaired his motor home years ago), my husband repaired it. 3 years later, it needed a new transmission. We hope to get a few more years out of it, it has given us many great memories, and we have definitely gotten our money's worth, but older model rigs come with challenges.

I would wait a bit. Upgrade your tv to something a bit bigger then get a tow behind. On your buget an RV may be a bad move. At least with a Travel Trailor, its less money, and you still have the TV to use. Unless you use the RV all the time, it will sit. And at the price point your looking may need lots of work. A pop up, isnt a bad idea to start out either. Just a bit more work to set up. You also didnt mention how many people would be using it, and or pets. Thats a big consideration. 2 people , and some pets, you can go small, 6 people and pets your in HD truck territory.

I would wait a bit. Upgrade your tv to something a bit bigger then get a tow behind. On your buget an RV may be a bad move. At least with a Travel Trailor, its less money, and you still have the TV to use. Unless you use the RV all the time, it will sit. And at the price point your looking may need lots of work. A pop up, isnt a bad idea to start out either. Just a bit more work to set up. You also didnt mention how many people would be using it, and or pets. Thats a big consideration. 2 people , and some pets, you can go small, 6 people and pets your in HD truck territory.
I don't really feel very secure in a pop up. It's just the two of us (women) and a toddler, so we can go small. We did buy a tow camper once but life happened and we sold it. I'm not real opposed to those, so maybe we will look again, bit the car market is super inflated right now too. :/

All good, its what you feel comfortable in. But pop ups are prety safe. I would look for a smaller TT with a bunk. So, one big bed and two smaller beds. Smaller is easier to maintain, but will be big enough for a small bathroom, and table. Plus is, smaller is easier on gas and some TVs.

I was thinking like this, light, but big enough for 3. Not a recomendation of brand, just an idea to ponder.
https://www.campinginstyle.com/New-...Trailer-Coleman-17B-Dutchmen-Coleman-10318868

Thanks! Right now, all we have is a Subaru Outback, and with the car market being so inflated, I don't think we'll be able to get something with more towing capacity anytime soon. So I think I can only tow up to 2700 lbs, which is pretty limiting :/ That one is cute, though! I was looking at Aliners, since they seem a bit more protective than the standard pop-up, but they seem to be quite pricey too for what you get. I think it's just a bad market, all-round. Though pop-ups ARE affordable, and if we're camping in generally safe places, a pop-up might be a good way to start and see if we're serious about this as a vacation option.

Yea, a lines are nice some have them on here. But that may get crowded with 3 people, and they may be to heavy for the bigger ones. Even with pop ups you will be limited with that as a TV. My pop up was 3200 lbs. , to close to your rating. You can look for something a little smaller and older. Good thing about pop ups is you will get 2 beds , a place to sit inside and a sink. If you can get something with a cassett toilet, you will be better off. For pop up stuff, visit the pop up portal. Its a good place to ask all pop up and aliner questions. I am over there also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter