Motorola 2 way radio question

Gillian

DIS Veteran
If you buy the kind that come singly, what do you have to do to get two of them to work together? Can you have two different models?

Can you tell I am clueless? I don't even know where to post this question!

Thank you :)

here's the scoop....

Those radio's operate on a group of frequencies set aside by the FCC for "Families" and you can mix and match brands ie... motorola, cobra etc... just tune them in to the same channel
FYI
My family used radios in 2000...and they worked awesome
couple things...
-purchase the 14 channel model w/ 28 (i think) sub channels this allows flexibility so you
can have your own channel
-think rechargeable batteries
-most come w/ a "call" feature which alerts you to the fact that someone is calling...nice

good luck

I have a similar question ...

We're going to be with three families. Is there any way to set three of these radios to the same frequency so we can all keep in touch when we get separated?

Thanks for your replies!

Re: 3 families....

absolutely... basicly the way they operate is you dial in channel 1-14, and the your subchannel 1-28 as long as everyone is on the same channels you are good as gold regardless of the radio's manufacturer....infact you may have to switch channels because another family may be on yours

11 Days and counting ;-)

Good luck Ron

My wife and I both have cell phones. We are not going to buy the radios for that reason. Most everyone has the no romaing no long distance deal these days, and you don;t have to worry about overlapping signals. Friends of ours bought the Mtorolas and had to listen to three or four other groups all day on the same channels. :smooth:

A word of warning, be careful to make certain that you do have the No roaming / No Long distance charge plan or you will run up quite a phone bill. Many do have it, but I know that my plan has No roaming in the NorthEast, but Florida is roaming, and it's expensive.

Think of the Motorola as CB radios. They are NOT private, and even with 14 channels, 28 sub-channels there is only 392 combinations, so there will be other on your frequency. But we still found them quite useful and we only had 10 channels when we went two years ago. Npte also that the range does not necessarily cover the entire park.

BTW, I had my cell phone with me last time as well, and If I recall correctly I found a number of dead spots in the parks where the phone was useless. This may have changed.

We just returned this morning from an 11 day stay at WDW and on one occasion during the trip we heard other parties on the channel my family uses.....it wasn't enough to cause us to switch channels though....and once again they saved us alot of time & aggravation everywhere (ie.. resort, parks etc...)

Just a quick and cute story. We used 2-way radios in DISneyland last May and we had some good chuckles with other families........I'd say; "mom is that you?" And some guy would come on and say; "nope. sorry. It's me." This went on for the whole week we were there. The families changed from time to time. Thankfully the other 2 or 3 families that we were sharing the channel(s) with had a sense of humor. :D

some do not LOL

but we had fun with a few who were using the same channels as we were last trip.

Mal

We just came back and several of us had our radios on one channel (with sub-station) and had no problems at all EXCEPT for my own stupidity, the obsessive planner that I am and , didn't bring enough batteries with me. Toward the end of the trip it was really dying out. Didn't realize those little things required so many batteries..lesson learned for next year.

I can understand how a cell would come in really handy, though. At one point when my teenage daughter's radio died and she couldn't find my cousins who she was meeting up with at a very crowded MK, there was a little panic--she picked up a house phone, called my resort and then I had to call my cousin's cell phone (this cost $11 from the hotel, but I was desperate). Hindsight, if I was buying these radios today, I'd buy the one with the rechargeable unit...and it would be nice if someone made two way radios that reached park to park, lol.

there are radios with a 5 mile range but you have to send in for a liscense for them. They run about 60-80 a piece. We are looking into getting the American plan for our cell phones(verizon). No roaming or long distance charges and 4500 minutes between 2 phones for $55 a month

I was just at the parks in February and there are still a TON of dead spots - even on the resorts, so beware if you are planning on relying on cell phones.

Two way radios work great - I have Motorola 6310's and LOVE them. A few great features that they have, and I have come to think of as essential are....

*SUBCHANNELS - gotta have 'em
*PRIVACY LOCK - this only works between you and other radios of the same exact brand and model -- basically scrambles all other messages, incoming and outgoing
* CALL FEATURE - it's a "ring" that sounds when someone is calling you -- You can yell into one of the bloody things all day and no one will here you, but the ring will get their attention
*VIBRATE - if you are going into a quiet place, quiet ride, show or whatever

They were expensive - a big investment - but totally worth it. I use them for everything - from basic shopping trips to other vacations. Very handy!

A note - the two ways will only work within one park - not from park to park or resort to park.

We have used the 2 way radios before and their great. I have a hearing loss, so I use an ear bud pluged into my radio so I can hear better. We use theMotorola 5210's and 6200's.

I'm confused about using different channels. We have the radios with 14 channels and 28 subchannels. How many different channels should you have negotiated within your family? How do you know which channel to try to get your family. How do you know if Dad is on channel A, B or C? Does this make sense?

From tips on these boards, I have 2 channels locked in. DH's b-day and mine. Do we need more or will it make it too confusing? Thanks for any tips you can give. We've been practicing when we go to the mall, but that's small potatoes compared to Disney.

Ityldu -

All of the radios that your group are using have to be on the same channel and subchannel - say, 10-30. Then, if you are getting a lot of interference on that channel combo, then have a back-up channel pre-determined. We usually use a birthdate as a back-up. All you have to do is key over and say "switch to back-up" or something like that.

Honestly - I know that some folks have had troubles with interference, but I haven't. I think we switched to the back-up one time.

Good luck and have fun at Disney!

DisTwix - Thank you so much for clearing that up for me, now it makes perfect sense.

We got back a few weeks ago and had no problems with our radios. We had three families on the cruise and then in the parks. We were all dialed into the same frequency (4-30) and never had problems with interference or anything like that.

The radios were a real help. On the cruise, at Castaway Cay, we sent one family ahead to secure some beach chairs while the rest of us got ready and then we were able to find them easily.

I'd highly reccomend purchasing and using them. While in the parks our cell phones seemed to work most of the time but the radios were easier (and cheaper!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter