Move from Universal to Disney - AM or PM?

sandam1

DIS Veteran
I've read that that trip from Universal to Disneyland can be pretty brutal (and long) with traffic, but I'm wondering if there is a better time to make the trip.

We are going to California in January (for the DL races actually). The current plan is to fly into Burbank on Tuesday afternoon, do Universal on Wednesday and then transfer to DL on Thursday morning. But it looks like the price of the hotels are going to be about the same so I was wondering if it would be better to move after our Universal day (probably around 7-8 p.m. assuming Universal closes at 6-7 p.m. since we will probably grab a quick dinner at City Walk) or early the next morning (planning to arrive at DL between 9-10 a.m.).

We will be using rideshare to get from our Universal hotel to our DL hotel.

That is gonna be one expensive rideshare.

I would transfer 7-8pm. Most of traffic is ppl going to or back from work traffic, so it's at it's worst early morning and 5-7pm. If you aim to start your travel 7ish-8 you should be good I think.

Either Wednesday evening after 8pm or Thursday morning/afternoon between 10am and 3pm, you should be fine.

That is gonna be one expensive rideshare.

I'm figuring about $100. But it's worth it for me to not have to drive.

I would transfer 7-8pm. Most of traffic is ppl going to or back from work traffic, so it's at it's worst early morning and 5-7pm. If you aim to start your travel 7ish-8 you should be good I think.

Thanks for the advice!

Either Wednesday evening after 8pm or Thursday morning/afternoon between 10am and 3pm, you should be fine.

Unfortunately, we will probably need (want) to be in the DL area before 10 a.m. so we can go to the race expo. Looks like Wednesday night is the winner.

We’ve done 3 split trips in the last two years. Definitely do the transfer after your park day - the later the better.

If you can transfer after 8pm (or before 5am) you’ll avoid most of the traffic.

Last October we did the opposite trip - Disneyland to USH, at 6:30pm. The trip took 1hr 15min, and cost $51. We took a standard Lyft. We did add a generous tip - we felt really bad about the traffic.

We find it’s often cheaper to go USH to DLR, than to go DLR to the John Wayne airport. 😮

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter