Mulan being released next month on Disney Plus

I'm not terribly interested. It seems like Disney has taken all the fun out of Mulan and turned it into another period piece that's meant to appeal to Chinese audiences more than traditional Disney audiences. It doesn't sound like this is going to be much more than a traditional Chinese style period piece with all the hallmarks of such, but with a Disney label.
For some of us that was one of the reasons we were wanting to see Mulan. That it was going to be more like that more unique. The criticism towards taking an animated film and making it "live action" felt like recycled material lacking in enough originality (even if a remake) to distinguish it enough OR to make it appeal enough to the people who knew the animated version.

I’m in NJ and the AMC near me with the big comfy chairs are around $16+ on a Friday or Saturday night. Older movies are around $13 or more.

If you do the prime theater that has sound in the chairs, the chairs vibrate and other special things those are starting $20+ on a Friday or Saturday. They only put new releases in the prime theater.

They did have $6 Tuesday’s but it had recently gone up to $7.
Prime theaters and the like, 3D, IMAX, etc those are all surcharges everywhere. That's why most people describe just regular movie showing because it levels the discussion. Of course your movie ticket is going to be more if you're going for those additional surchargable experiences. No one is debating that movie tickets can be that high though. My conversation was in direct relation to having someone in the LA area who didn't pay the same amount but the poster clarified the exact places they were talking about :)

Prime theaters and the like, 3D, IMAX, etc those are all surcharges everywhere. That's why most people describe just regular movie showing because it levels the discussion. Of course your movie ticket is going to be more if you're going for those additional surchargable experiences. No one is debating that movie tickets can be that high though. My conversation was in direct relation to having someone in the LA area who didn't pay the same amount but the poster clarified the exact places they were talking about :)

i wasn’t debating. Just adding in extra info on different prices in different areas.

I don’t even know the prices of “regular” theaters anymore since I got spoiled with reserved reclining seats. Lol

I'm not terribly interested. It seems like Disney has taken all the fun out of Mulan and turned it into another period piece that's meant to appeal to Chinese audiences more than traditional Disney audiences. It doesn't sound like this is going to be much more than a traditional Chinese style period piece with all the hallmarks of such, but with a Disney label.

Fair enough. It does have fantasy elements though, like the shape-shifting witch character, so it's not attempting to be wholly realistic. It's tyring to be more of an action-fantasy film.

i wasn’t debating. Just adding in extra info on different prices in different areas.

I don’t even know the prices of “regular” theaters anymore since I got spoiled with reserved reclining seats. Lol
The recliners are really nice that's for sure. I remember when reserved seating started I was like "hmm not sure this is going to work out"..but now I love it. No getting to the theater 30mins ahead to get a seat. I don't want to go back to not having it lol

The recliners are really nice that's for sure. I remember when reserved seating started I was like "hmm not sure this is going to work out"..but now I love it. No getting to the theater 30mins ahead to get a seat. I don't want to go back to not having it lol

Yessss. I really like the reserved seating more than the seats...I think. Lol

Respectfully..pretty much everyone is going to consider the whole area to be LA as in the metro area. But I am aware that Long Beach and Fullerton are not in the city of LA :)

Fullerton is in Orange County, right by Anaheim and Garden Grove. The population density in Orange County and even Long Beach is significantly less than in the city of Los Angeles.

LA Cinemas are just very pricey. You'd be hard-pressed to find a ticket for less than $18 for a new-release film in the evening or on the weekend.

Fullerton is in Orange County, right by Anaheim and Garden Grove. The population density in Orange County and even Long Beach is significantly less than in the city of Los Angeles.

LA Cinemas are just very pricey. You'd be hard-pressed to find a ticket for less than $18 for a new-release film in the evening or on the weekend.
Depends on what part of Los Angeles. It's a large place and quite a bit of it (possibly most) is distinctly suburban with similar population density. I'm pretty sure Pacific Palisades and Bel Air have a considerably lower population density.

Depends on what part of Los Angeles. It's a large place and quite a bit of it (possibly most) is distinctly suburban with similar population density. I'm pretty sure Pacific Palisades and Bel Air have a considerably lower population density.
But also a wealthier population. I guess that's what I was trying not to say is that a lot of areas of LA, prices are probably inflated because of the median income of the residents. It's worth what people will pay.

So if we pay the 30 dollars how long do we get the movie for? Sad part is I see Disney doing this for other movies.

I actually think they should do this for other movies too, but also release the movie simultaneously in theatres. To give people a choice. I hope they do this for Black Widow, we are eager to finally watch it and if it’s only at home on our big screen, we will do it. Looking forward to watching Mulan at home too. It would cost us more than $30 USD as a family of four for a night out at the movies, if you include concessions on top of the Imax or ultra Avx tix we prefer.

This is onenof those movie's I'll watch eventually, but I won't be shelling out $30 for it. It is not on the top of my watch list.

I have checked the movie theater calendars in the Netherlands and by the looks of it we will get Mulan in the theaters on the 19th, so probably won't get the option on Disney+.

I hope it works out, as we are getting closer to a second wave and in the press conference we had last night they discussed that theaters, museums, themeparks have to close if they are in a hotspot. Aka the big cities, Amsterdam and Rotterdam are not doing that great.

Last edited:
I actually think they should do this for other movies too, but also release the movie simultaneously in theatres. To give people a choice. I hope they do this for Black Widow, we are eager to finally watch it and if it’s only at home on our big screen, we will do it. Looking forward to watching Mulan at home too. It would cost us more than $30 USD as a family of four for a night out at the movies, if you include concessions on top of the Imax or ultra Avx tix we prefer.

there is a agreement that they can’t do that. When a movie comes out in the theaters they Have to wait so long until that movie can come out on dvd, streaming or whatever else. John Campea was talking about it. Of course money talks

The way I look at it is we can make a fun evening out of it- get pizza, watch the movie, have a nice family evening. That’s worth $30 to me right now when this summer has been so darn depressing. (We were supposed to be in Disneyland this week so our family is a bit sad right now)

I’m not overthinking it- sounds fun, why not, let’s do it. 👍

I have a lot of thoughts about this.

I can understand both sides of the argument, people who don't want to spend $30 and people who think it's fine for that amount....often it tends to be related to how many of their family members can watch it.

Streaming downloads don't go by the same benchmark (1 ticket = 1 person viewing in theaters), so it is difficult to quantify.

I've heard estimates that overall Disney would need to make $300 million for this to be successful. That's 10 million downloads...a large amount.

However, Disney is also running into a few other issues. No one knows when theaters will open and also open AT CAPACITY. It's not enough IMO for them to be open to 25 or 50% attendance, and the hype for this movie will have died down significantly if there's another 6 months to a year before it can be released in theaters. The other issue is that they can't keep delaying movies, because then when the theaters open back up, there's going to be an over abundance of movies that might be available, and there's going to be people who still aren't comfortable with going back into the theaters.

IMO, expecting 75% of attendance compared to what it was a year ago, once this virus is mostly "over" is still going to be an optimistic view.

Disney may be taking this as a loss at the end, but will use this as an experiment to see how it might or might not work.

I've also heard that they could do the same for Black Widow and probably get a much better response, BUT there would also have been a much higher box office return being a Marvel movie, closer to $800 million to $1 billion expected, so a much higher hurdle on the home streaming side.

Personally, I'm single with no family in the house, so I don't really plan to pay $30 to watch a movie that I'm only mildly interested in, but that's just me and I hope Disney can pull even on it.

In general, I think we're going to see more changes to what the theater going experience is going to become in the next several years (it already had begun). I don't want theaters to go away, but they're going to be more niche and only for certain films, or to replay favorites, etc.

I'm not at all interested in this movie, but objectively, $30 to watch a theater release:

-in my own home
-in my undies if I so choose
-with control of my thermostat, not freezing my booty off
-no one around me chattering
-no kids kicking my seat
-being able to have a pizza or any food I want, with a table to eat it on
-candy from Walmart for $2
-able to choose my own volume for the sound and not be blasted into the next century by the audio

Worth it.

I wonder how much Disney can hose themselves with this plan.

How many times are they going to deal with "the kid bought it"? Do you refund or not? It's not a rental, so the new owner can view it anytime they please, even if "the kid bought it". I'd lean on "no refunds, not ever" but that will create hard feelings. How much will it cost to drop in the features needed to sell something on a service that started off with no features to sell things? Are they going to drop an ad for Mulan on D+? A lot of moving parts.

They should drop this one on Hulu, because that service already has tiered, pay for services, and already has a built in system to block kids from purchasing. Why rebuild the Hulu wheel with something that could go wrong from a consumer perspective on D+?

They should drop this one on Hulu, because that service already has tiered, pay for services, and already has a built in system to block kids from purchasing. Why rebuild the Hulu wheel with something that could go wrong from a consumer perspective on D+?

I hadn't considered the idea that people who don't yet have D+ might be turned off by thinking that it's NOT just a monthly fee and that random movies could also require an upcharge (I'm not saying it would be "random" movies, but the impression could still be there)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter