Multiple Sclerosis- Help!

Becky_Boop

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm Becky! My mom has multiple sclerosis, and can't walk very long distances. Do you guys have any tips on wheelchairs or places to rest? Thank you so much! :teeth:

First of all, Welcome to disABILITIES.

Second, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board. Some of your questions will be answered there.

Do you have specific questions about wheelchairs (Like does she have her own, need to rent one, prefer to have a powered scooter/power wheelchair)?

Also, do you have a place picked out to stay yet?
Those things will help us give the best advice.

Also, be very careful about temperature. I have RR (relapsing-remitting) MS, and while I haven't yet had mobility issues to the point of needing a wheel-chair, even when I'm not having an "episode", I have problems regulating my body temperature (namely, I get overheated very, very easily.) I imagine on top of the boys' GACs (for AS), I'll probably have to get one myself, for the "wait in shaded/cool" area (sigh.)

Many people with MS (myself included) experience extreme fatigue in the mid-afternoon when they have flare-ups (often brought on by stress, illness or overexertion.) One minute, you feel fine, the next, like every single muscle in your body is going to collapse if you don't lie down immediately (and sitting just won't do.) So I highly recommend planning resort rest periods during that time.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

I highly recommend staying on-site and planning rest times during the day. I do not have MS, but my DH has severe heart/lung disease and it really affects his stamina. We cannot stay in the parks all day. He must sleep during the day(not just rest) or he gets sick. So when we go to WDW it is with the understanding that we will not be seeing everything. An ECV would help alot with mobility, but DH was unwilling to use one last time :confused3 But we have a great time and just make accomodations.

PS--American Adventure is a great place to catch a few winks ;)

Thanks, guys. We're staying at the Pop Century Resort, and we are trying to get a room on the first floor near the food court. She does not have her own wheelchair. Where in the parks can you rent a wheelchair? On a ride, do they keep the wheelchair nearby, or do you use it on the ride?

Most people prefer to rent a wheelchair from one of the off-site wheelchair rental places (see a list and links in the FAQs thread). That way, you have it at the resort and can use it to get around there.
The places to rent in the parks are fairly close to the entrance, but she will still have a bit of a walk.

For some rides, she would be able to stay in the wheelchair if she can't transfer. For others, a transfer is required. For the ones where you need to transfer, you can keep a wheelchair until boarding the ride. When you get off, the wheelchair will be near where you exit (on some rides, you actually board at the exit). The disABILITIES FAQs thread, post number 3, has some links that would help you with this part of your question.
Are there any specific attractions she wants to see that you have questions about?

Hi..my dh was actually just dx with PPMS (primary progressive multiple sclerosis) on Halloween. He, like your mom, has many mobility issues and the fatigue is astounding. We are going to Orlando to do Universal and one day of Disney--maybe--in April. We plan on taking one of the electric vehicles with us and he is going to use it. We know he will have to nap, so that is when the kids will get to swim at the Nick Hotel. We might not see everything, but hope to still have a good time. Is your mom on anything for the fatigue? I have just been reading about Provigil and we will be asking the neuro for it when we go in Feb. Best of luck!!! Have a wonderful time.

There are no rides, specifically, but it doesn't matter. She can walk about a block or two, and can definately transfer. We will probably rent the wheelchair in the parks.Thanks for all the help!

Becky_Boop said:
We will probably rent the wheelchair in the parks.Thanks for all the help!

ask at Pop Century at check-in if they have one you can use for free for the length of your stay. sometimes they are all gone, but often you'll get lucky and then won't have to pay for your wheelchair.

Whether you rent a scooter that your mom drives, or a wheel chair that you push, I would urge you to go out and practice in advance...try Walmart on a slow week day morning, then maybe on a Saturday afternoon when it's busy.

At MGM on Memorial Day, I observed a poor old guy who was just learning to drive his rented scooter...his wife was full of (unhelpful) advice...they were both so stressed. Learning to get around in a wheelchair or scooter on a busy day at Disney would be like driving a car for the first time on on the busiest highway at rush hour. Please practice so your stress level won't go through the roof!

Also, if you've been to a Disney park, you'll know that there are very considerate people there, and very inconsiderate people there. Your mom will be bumped into, cut off, have her way blocked...the same thing happens to everyone, no matter how they get around, so try to have a good attitude and don't feel that people are being impolite because of the chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter