Multiple time Zone Changes - Alarm Clock Rec

swimfin

DIS Veteran
Hello!
Our cruise to the Mexican Riviera will change time zones often… Has anyone done the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego and have a good recommendation for a travel alarm clock? Maybe one that will automatically update? I can easily go Analog and change before bed too … just wondering if there’s a better option. Our phones will be on ship mode and we will not be buying the Wi-Fi from Disney so I’m not sure if our phones will automatically update in the new time zone unless we take it off of ship mode which we will do once we are in each port if needed. We just don’t want to miss our excursion times. THANK YOU for any tips or advice! Cheers!

Have you thought about taking your phone off of 'automatic' time and then you can set it manually per the ship time, and use it as an alarm clock and watch? That's what I do. Easy peasy. And does not require cellular service or wifi to accomplish.

Have you thought about taking your phone off of 'automatic' time and then you can set it manually per the ship time, and use it as an alarm clock and watch? That's what I do. Easy peasy. And does not require cellular service or wifi to accomplish.
THANK YOU for the reminder on this feature!! I’m so used to keeping it on automatic that I forgot I can turn it off 🤣😂

This is what I did because our Hawaiian cruise changed our time every night at the beginning so we were on Hawaiian time by the time we got there .

This is what I do for international flights. I set the time manually to the destination, so that I can get adjusted easier to the new time.

We were on the Transatlantic and had 6 time zone changes before we reached Portugal. I have a digital travel alarm that I just manually changed and I took my phone off automatic and changed it manually as well. You will get reminded every time there is a time change through various means. You will get a message through the Navigator app and your stateroom host will put a reminder on your tv screen at turndown. An announcement will also be made before the stage shows.

This! No need to pack an alarm clock.

Me too. We don't travel with alarm clocks anymore (and haven't missed not having one in hotel rooms or on cruises) because we use our iPhones and/or iPads. We prefer to do this because we can set multiple alarm times in case one of us oversleeps, ignores the alarm or the battery runs out. Also to nag you when you decide that you'll just have a few more minutes. Much more flexible and reliable than a hotel/stateroom clock.

As for watches, we just manually change the time based on whatever they tell us to do at each port. This will be the first year DH will have an Apple watch which I think synchronizes with his phone so wifi isn't necessary for that either.

Me too. We don't travel with alarm clocks anymore (and haven't missed not having one in hotel rooms or on cruises) because we use our iPhones and/or iPads. We prefer to do this because we can set multiple alarm times in case one of us oversleeps, ignores the alarm or the battery runs out. Also to nag you when you decide that you'll just have a few more minutes. Much more flexible and reliable than a hotel/stateroom clock.

As for watches, we just manually change the time based on whatever they tell us to do at each port. This will be the first year DH will have an Apple watch which I think synchronizes with his phone so wifi isn't necessary for that either.
Still need wifi for the phone to change your watch they go together . Will have to change that manually too.

The tv will have a channel that shows the ship time. I just changed my time zone from New York to San Juan for the 1 hr ahead time change for going to Tortola BVI . Then back to NY when it has to go back. If you have an iPhone it has that world clock feature where you can set various cities from around the world.

My Apple watch is connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth. Won’t that work to sync the time?
I think so. I don’t recall having to change the time on my watch, just my phone. Maybe it depends upon the watch settings.

EDIT: Just tried it, and it worked. As long as the watch is linked to the phone via Bluetooth, it should work. There were not any settings related to the watches time compared to the phone, so you have no choice unless you turn off Bluetooth or disconnect the watch from the phone.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure if you don’t have wifi (data) to your phone it won’t change the time on your phone therefore doesn’t change your watch.

I‘m always in airplane mode . Maybe I’m doing something wrong but pretty sure I have to change the phone manually than yes the watch will change too. Maybe that is what you’re saying…lol I thought the person was saying they have the watch it will change automatically Without changing the phone.

I’m pretty sure if you don’t have wifi (data) to your phone it won’t change the time on your phone therefore doesn’t change your watch.

I‘m always in airplane mode . Maybe I’m doing something wrong but pretty sure I have to change the phone manually than yes the watch will change too. Maybe that is what you’re saying…lol I thought the person was saying they have the watch it will change automatically Without changing the phone.
I have a iPhone was in airplane mode connected to WiFi from ship no added connectivity purchased. My iPhone didn’t automatically update with the time change. Had to do it manually by changing my time zone.

Even if you're phone's in airplane mode, if you have bluetooth on it should sync with your phone's time. I just got off a two week cruise in which my watch remained on airplane mode the whole time, but had bluetooth on, and it kept up with the manual time changes I did on my phone.

The phone will not update time without wifi or cellular. However, if you manually change the phone time, have bluetooth enabled, and your watch still paired with your phone, the watch will update. I just tried it last night at home. Sometimes, when people put their phone in airplane mode, bluetooth becomes disabled. You have to ensure it is re-enabled and the watch is connected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter