Must do's for 4 & 5 yr. old girls

D

DisAwaits

We have just confirmed our last-minute trip from Missouri to DW arriving 10/20 (Sat.) around noon, departing FL. 10/27 (Sat.). I've purchased a 5-day hopper for myself, my wife, my two children (both girls) ages 4 & 5, and my Dad & Mom as a special celebration. We are driving and will be staying off-site at the Orange Lake Country Club (w/full kitchen).

I tried to get PS at Cindy's (to no avail). Planning this late, what are the must-do's for two little girls who love all the Disney princesses, but aren't too familiar with the other Disney characters? We only have five days total for MK, AK, Epcot & MGM. Between character breakfast's, lunches, parades, fireworks & dinners, what 3 or so things are absolute must-do's?

Our DD was 6 when we went but she liked getting Ariel's autograph and we took her picture with her in Ariel's Grotto in Fantasyland. Just before the fireworks start Tinkerbelle will "fly" down a wire from the top of the castle into Tomorrowland. It's kind of fun to be under her and have her fly overhead.
My kids loved Toontown Fair! Minnie's house is their favorite. Little interactive things like making a cake rise in the oven and such.
My DS was 4 1/2 when we went and he loved It's a Small World and Epcot! Lots of people say don't take your kids to Epcot but he loved it!
If you are looking for autographs, we found it really easy to get them at MGM.
Have a great trip! The weather will be great. We went last year during Halloween week and we are so bummed we aren't going this year.

I have a 4 year old girl who likes Jesse from Toy Story 2. She can be found at MGM at Al's Toy Barn with Buzz and Woody. You might want to check a schedule because she isn't there as much as Buzz and Woody. My DD loved the Winnie the Pooh ride at the MK. She also enjoyed the character meal at the Crystal Palace with the Pooh characters.

don't give up on cindy's either. i have read a lot of posts where people say to call 48 hrs out and you may get them.

We went to Disney last year and this year with our now DS8, DD5 and DD3. WE also loved seeing Ariel in her grotto at MK. The dumbo ride was a favorite. My 3 yr old loved Small World and what she calls the BIG BALL at Epcto (spaceship earth). We did the mask decorating at Epcot. Last year we let them color all of the mask at one country but this year we were smarter. Each country offers somthing a little different to add, so we let them color a small section and attach the decoration from each country. This kept them happy on the long World Showcase tour. We had a stroller for the girls (double rented) because the walking was a little too much for them. WE also loved the Mexico boat ride and we played on the Nordic Ship at Norway. The boat ride in Norway was good too, but skip the movie. When they let you into the theatre just walk on thru to the other side. The movie is nice but hard for the kids to sit through. good luck, I love disney and so do my little girls any more questions just ask. ( my son loves disney too but you were asking about girls)

There is a Pocahontas show at the Animal Kingdom that my daughters really enjoyed. They were just upset that they couldn't actually meet Pocahontas. They also like the Lion King show there, especially the girl who "flies". Too bad you couldn't get castle reservations, but go in the lobby and you might be able to meet a stray princess or even the fairy godmother hanging out in there. And don't forget the shop right near the castle (I don't know the name of it). It has a ton on princess merchandise and is little girl heaven (bring your checkbook);) . Have a great trip!!!

Ditto about Cindy's...

I have done this myself and heard of several other people doing as well. Call CRO at exactly 7:00AM, 2 days before you would like to have breakfast there, that is when they release a few extra tables. It has worked twice for me. It is absolutely priceless!

If for some reason, you don't get a ressie. Don't rule out just showing up while you are there. It's worth a shot!

By the way, we're leaving on the same day!!! Who knows, maybe we'll see you at Cindy's!

I'll be there 10/19-10/22 with my DD, she'll be 5 on Nov. 1. Even though I consider myself a WDW veteran, I loved reading what you all suggested and got a few new ideas. Thanks.:)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned but DD loved on her last trip (she had just turned 4), was Belle's storytime in the MK. Some of the children get to be characters in the story, and DD was lucky enough to be Lumiere! Belle signs autographs later.

What she talked about for a long time: Carousel of Progress (go figure), the Pocahontas show and Tower of Terror. She's a wild one! :D

Melk mentioned the gift shop near the castle, it's called Tinkerbelle's Treasures and is loaded with girly stuff. What worked really well for us last year, I let DD pick out ONE thing (a Duchess kitty) from there early in the week and she kept it with her in the stroller throughout the trip. When she asked for more things later on, if I reminded her she had picked out that one special thing, she accepted it and stopped begging. :)

My then-5 year old also LOVED Storytime with Belle. If you get there about 15 minutes before it starts and get a front seat, you have a better chance of her being picked to be part of the story. My daughter was in the front row and was not initially picked, but the girl next to her didn't want to, so she got to (they let the kids play Chip, Mrs. Potts, Cogsworth, etc.) and it was the BEST! She still talks about it nearly a year later. I would try that. Try the first show of the day. Even if she doesn't get picked, Belle stays after the show for photos and autographs. And keep trying the Castle -- we had the same thing happen last year and tried walking in one morning -- the two families in front of us made it (we didn't but we got a reservation this year so are very happy).

I know I'm giving away my secret for getting my two girls in the play (3 yo and 5 yo), but ... when Belle's helpers come out just before the show, you can go up and ask them to pick your child to be in the story. So far, I've done it twice and been lucky! My oldest was Chip last year and this year, they were Cogsworth and Chip! And it was definitely a highlight of the trip. :D They also love Minnie's house in Toontown (we had to visit every day we were in the MK), loved Jungle Cruise, and Buzz Lightyear ride. Epcot was a hit with the dinosaurs (although the movie is long) and the Living Seas and Spaceship Earth. And AK is always a favorite - especially the Lion King show, Pocahontas (the kids get to sit up front) and Tarzan.
We also got to ride in the front of the monorail once - keep asking and sooner or later it'll roll in to your stop w/no one else in the front and it's yours! They loved it so it was worth asking everytime we got on the monorail. At MGM, the girls loved the Muppet 3D movie, Little Mermaid show and Beauty & Beast show, and the Great Movie Ride (not good if your kid frightens easily - there's an Alien segment).

Have a great time!

My 4yo went in March. Here are her favorites:

Meet & greet as many characters as possible.
Don't give up on Cindy's breakfast -- I tried, & tried a week before, & a couple of days before, but they were full. Yet the day we went they were calling out openings as we walked by. We were able to meet Cinderella at Toontown tent though.

Magic Kingdom -- Small World, Toontown, Dumbo, Pooh, Big Thunder Mtn., Pirates of Caribbean, character parade, & light parade.

MGM -- Voyage of Little Mermaid, Beauty & Beast Show, Bear in Big Blue House show (I think this has changed now), Fantasmic.

Epcot -- Spaceship Earth, Living Seas, Test Track

Animal Kingdom -- Tough to be a Bug, Lion King show.

We did many other things, but these were her favorites.

If your kids aren't familiar with many characters, and you have a Disney Store nearby, go purchase the "Disneyland Fun" sing-along video -- it's a great preview to some of the rides and characters.

Just one word of caution, my little wild woman who loves ToT was terrified of It's Tough to Be a Bug. She has a real phobia about bugs, wanted to try seeing it but it was just too intense. If you do go and you think your children might be nervous, try to stay to the ends so you can escape easily.

And I've heard the Bear in the Big Blue House is now a Playhouse Disney show, including Roly Poly Olie and Stanley. I say Yay! My 2YO DS loves Roly and DD loves Stanley.

My girls were 4&6 last time we went and they LOVE everything in fantasyland. Start there and take your time in this area, it'ss wonderful. Then work your way around the rest of the MK. Mickey's toontown is a must and I agree with the recommendation of Belle's storytime. My girls ride everything at MK except ailen encounter and space mountain. Stop by the Castle and see if you can get a last minute reservation - you may get lucky. You may also see the Fairy Godmother in the lobby! If not lots of characters in the tent at toontown.

Epcot is a fav with the girls as well, they love the living seas and all the shows and rides at the land. The countries are great for the live entertainment, the mask show in Italy and the living statue in France come to mind as well as Off Kilter in Canada. We haven't done test track even though they meet the height - just not interested yet. Look for the Kidcot tables in each country, crafts & activities unique to each country and I have heard about something new for TOD parade but haven't experienced it yet. Of all the wonderful things at WDW one of my 6yo's fav memorys is playing hopscotch with kids and cm's in the United Kingdom pavilion.

Mgm - again wonderful for this age, the Beauty & Beast and Hunchback stage shows are wonderful. They liked bear but are on the verge of outgrowing - playhouse disney should be fun though. Love the ariel attraction, millionaire show and the backstage tours. Not crazy about star wars - be careful if anyone gets motion sick as this is a sim ride. My 6yo loves the animation tour but its long and young children could get bored on this one, my 4yo did! The new parade here sounds great - can't wait to see it. My girls also beg for fantasmic, look into the dinner package if you don't want to wait hours to see it.

AK - again my girls rode everything except dinasour - no interest! Love the safari and all the trails. Don't miss the Lion King or Tarzan, they also have pocahontis but my girls were not that thrilled with that show. The dinasour dig and playground were great for some playtime. They love the rapids but it may be chilly in October. Watch for "devine" a living tree and the talking trash cans they are great. Try and take your time and soak up this park the atmosphere is wonderful.

Wow, sorry so long - but thanks for helping me re-live our memories!

General thoughts - with two that age I would either rent or bring a stroller. My girls took turns riding and it was great for lugging the backpack, snacks and water. Also try and avoid the temptation to "show them everything" whatever they see and enjoy they will remember and love. They can't "miss" it if they never saw it KWIM. With this age, playtime on the playground at the hotel or in the parks is a must for my girls to blow off their childhood steam. Also if the weather permits try and take a pool break and a rest. Oh and above all...

Have a wonderful time.
TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter