Must eat at restaurants near DW?

Has anyone been to Miller's Alehouse? I had heard it was a good place to eat but didn't know how close it was. We're staying in Windsor Hills. I may not be spelling the name just right though.

Are these places close to Sea World/Aquatica??? We will need somewhere for dinner while visiting Orlando from our Daytona Beach trip. Thanks!

Miller's (Orlando or Lake Buena Vista) Ale House is a must do restaurant on our list. Here's a link to their website:
http://www.millersalehouse.com/

Lake Buena Vista Ale House
12371 Winter Garden Vineland Rd
Orlando, FL 32836
(407) 239-1800 Phone

It's a Florida chain that was started in Jupiter, Fl (very cool city!). Very family friendly, good, inexpensive food.

It's near the Crossroads Area (actually across the street behind the 7-Eleven).

Another vote for Steak and Shake and Sweet Tomatoes. I haven't been to eigther in Orlando but we have both close to the house. If your daughter likes raw veggies and bread then there are plenty of both of those at Sweet Tomatoes but I'm pretty sure she'll find something else she likes too. I have one kinda picky daughter who always ends up with a plate of bread, sunflower seeds, olives, craisens when thay have them, raw broccoli and cucumbers. Occaisionally she'll have some soup but she always eats something, seems to enjoy it and I never feel like I paid for her for nothing or like she'll go to bed hungry when we eat here. Steak and Shake is good and pretty cheap with must have shakes.

We went to Golden Corral for the first time ever last time we were in Orlando and I have to say the food was surprisingly good and the variety was incredible. I think anybody could find something they like there. They had really nice steaks cooked to order. It was not at all expensive. The set-up is not fancy by any means though - plastic plates and cups, you pay before you are seated. Our server was fairly attentive but I would imagine that service is not their strong suit (not generally too important at a buffet, though, IMO).

The kids have asked to go back - it is a "must-do" in their eyes and I'm happy to oblige except that it is so hard to not over-eat when there (a draw-back to any good buffet, I guess).

I know when it was first recommended to us I had visions of Randy Quaid in "National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation" saying "I'll have some of the yellah and don't go skimpin' on me"... but really it was very good. I liked it much better than the Cape May Buffet at the Beach Club.
Classic!:laughing:

Which of these four Orlando Sweet Tomatoes locations are closest to Epcot which is by where we are staying - Altamonte Springs, Lake Buena Vista, I-Drive/Kirkman or East Colonial?

Also, which of these two Giordano's is closest to us - W. Sand Lake Road in Orlando or Apopka Vineland Road in Lake Buena Vista?

Thanks for the help! Only 21 more days to go!

Don't forget Flipper's Pizza and Pasta. They have a restaurant at Crossroads. We love going there to get take-out. Last time I packed up a whole pizza in our cooler and brought it home for dinner. Their spinach and chicken alfredo is the best we've ever had.

Hated Fuddruckers though. Ate there for my birthday (not by choice) and it was the worst food I've ever had on a trip. My mother and I never even finished our food it was so bad. Took them next door to Flipper's to get something to bring home and they wished we had gone there instead. I tried to tell them but no they wanted the other place. Now they listen to my restaurant advice. :goodvibes

We really enjoyed the Market Street Cafe in Celebration. When I travel, I generally try to avoid chain restaurants and do something that is different from what I can get at home. Our whole group really enjoyed this place. It is a "diner" and has "diner-type" food so there's something to please everyone. I couldn't understand it but my son was LOVING the beef stroganoff (in late-July no less)--not a very hot weather food. But he was thrilled with it. The fish and chips were excellent. Beautifully fried white fish. It was low key and relaxing and just what we needed after a long, hot day.

Here are the places for my next trip:

Perkins (I always like this)
CiCis pizza buffet - lunch
Bahama Breeze
Sweet Tomatoes
Chevys Tex Mex
Orlando Ale House

We are only going to do Sci Fi Dine In, Rainforest Cafe and Chef Mickeys for on site dining. We are also going to eat at Benihanas at the Hilton near DTD, but it is not inexpensive at all (favorite though of dd).

Giordano's is always good. We love their stuffed pizza. Not as good as what they sell in Chicago at Giordano's, but pretty close.

There is also a small independent Mexican restaurant in the same plaza as Giordano's that was very good. Probably a little more authentic than Chevy's. I think it was called Vallarta, or something like that.

Also check out House of Blues at Downtown Disney. You can pick up restaurant.com gift certificates for HOB now, a pretty good deal. $25 off of a $35 certificate. Picking one up for $2 with their current promo is a great deal.

We have also eaten at Nick's Grill that is at Marriott's Grande Vista. Another decent deal using a restaurant.com certificate. Still wanting to try their special ribs night. Had their prime rib special and while it was good, it wasn't fantastic. Had their chicken dish on the last visit and it had great flavor. Just make sure you use restaurant.com, otherwise you will feel as if you are overpaying.

Another vote for Sweet Tomatoes. They are healthy and awesome. Even my 4yo will eat his veggies there.

Not sure if healthy is the word. I am sure one can make those salads pretty unhealthy with very little work. Think bacon bits, buttered croûtons, and creamy dressings.

Still haven't had a chance to try Sweet Tomatoes though. Want to check it out sometime. Just never made it in to one yet.

Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ :thumbsup2 Name says it all...

Yes, they have been in Orlando for years and loved by us locals, inexpensive and very casual. I don't understand how so many are recommending Sweet Tomatoes of all the places one could eat.

Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ:thumbsup2 Name says it all...

What style of BBQ do they serve.... I grew up eating Memphis style (pork w/ tomato based sauce and slaw) and have recenly been introduced to Carolina style (no slaw and light vinegar based sauce) which is still growing on me. How do they prepare it at Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ? Does anyone know?

What style of BBQ do they serve.... I grew up eating Memphis style (pork w/ tomato based sauce and slaw) and have recenly been introduced to Carolina style (no slaw and light vinegar based sauce) which is still growing on me. How do they prepare it at Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ? Does anyone know?

Headed down in June and my dad loves traditional southern BBQ. Tried googling the different locations and couldn't figure out which one would be the closest from Disney.

Any info would be appreciated! :)

Headed down in June and my dad loves traditional southern BBQ. Tried googling the different locations and couldn't figure out which one would be the closest from Disney.

Any info would be appreciated! :)

The one we go to is at 5818 Conroy Road, just north of Universal Studios. And for the other poster's question, sorry, we're from 'up north' so I'm not versed in the differences in southern BBQ, I just know that theirs is GOOD :thumbsup2

The one we go to is at 5818 Conroy Road, just north of Universal Studios. And for the other poster's question, sorry, we're from 'up north' so I'm not versed in the differences in southern BBQ, I just know that theirs is GOOD :thumbsup2

Yes, that is the closest to WDW.

Is Sweet Tomatoes like Fresh Choice?

I'm looking forward to hearing more responses about local non-chain food as well. :-)

Where we are we don't have a Friendly's and we enjoy eating there. It is diner type food with some YUMMY ice cream too!!

I didn't realize BBQ is made so many different ways. It's called BBQ so isn't it just pulled pork etc with BBQ sauce? I know there are different types of BBQ sauce too but I never heard of tomato or vinigar BBQ sauce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter