Must not miss things in and near Orlando?

gypsy_at_heart

DIS Veteran
So, I’ve been to Disney World many many times and I’m slightly embarrassed to say that outside WDW, Universal, the outlets and Disney Springs…. I haven’t really seen much of Orlando or Florida in general 😬

To hopefully rectify this issue, I’m renting a car and staying at an AirBnB to encourage myself to venture out of the Disney Bubble a bit more.

Are there any frequent WDW visitors that know what things in Orlando or the surrounding areas that I shouldn’t miss? Parks, museums, art galleries, restaurants, etc - I’m open to all of it. I’m an AP holder, so I’m not worried about wasting park time, so even part day trips or short jaunts are great. I’m going in early February first - which I’m most hoping for recommendations for, but I’ll and also be back early May and late November/December if there is something in those times that I shouldn’t miss.

Thanks in advance for any help! 😊

Can you tell us about your traveling party? Might help us tailor recommendations. :-)
It’s just me on a solo trip :)

37 F, I travel a lot, not really interested in other amusement parks outside universal and Disney - but whatever else is interesting in the area :)

An Idea for you

Rent your car & drive To Christmas on Hwy 50 then onto

MidwayAirboats (a few miles further on ) & take a trip

Stay overnight at a Motel near Junction of Hwy 19

Next day Go to Kennedy S.C.

Next Day pay visit to CoCoa Beach & Back to Orlando

Both Downtown Orlando and Winter Park are great areas if you are looking for a truly local experience away from tourist areas.. These areas are filled with beautiful parks, museums/art galleries, shops, restaurants, festivals, sporting events, etc. Here are a few recommendations in these areas, I hyperlinked the sites to each for easy access:
Lots of hotel options in these areas as well, Grand Bohemian, Embassy Suites, DoubleTree, etc.

Blue Springs state park. In early February you can kayak & likely see manatees. Even if no manatees, you'll be ave to see lots of other FL wildlife in its natural setting.

Our family LOVED a bioluminescent kayaking tour by BK Adventures. We went in the summer and were blessed by a 5/5 comb jelly and 5/5 phytoplankton night.

I’m planning a Nov 2023 trip, and also planning on non disney stuff.
-already mentioned above, the Morse Museum & Leu Gardens are on my agenda, but also a trip to REI that same day as they are in the same neck of the woods. (no REI in Canada, and no MEC in my province!(
-There’s also some hiking to be done:
One I plan on is a “gentle 2.5 mile hike, just SE of Kissimmee”: it’s the Everglades headwaters & part of the Nature Conservancy’s Disney Wilderness Preserve!

Thank you all!

These are awesome 🥰 I’m going to book some stuff this weekend and look up hikes in those parks. Leu Gardens even seems to have a movie night while I’m there - those links were super helpful MrKnight - thanks!

Also, those drive ins look amazing and I really want a burger now.

I do half-and-half trips of Disney/other stuff and so far my favorite places outside the parks have been:

The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum in Winter Park. Stunning collection of Tiffany glass—don’t miss it! You may need to reserve a ticket in advance.

The Cici and Hyatt Brown Museum in Daytona Beach. Gorgeous private collection of paintings depicting Florida scenery and wildlife. Especially cool if you go out and see some of it yourself afterwards. :)

Orlando Wetlands Park in Christmas, FL. Has walking/biking trails through lush vegetation and palm trees with Jurassic Park vibes. Tons of vultures, egrets, herons, storks, anhingas, spoonbills, osprey, alligators, and more just living in the wild.

Both Downtown Orlando and Winter Park are great areas if you are looking for a truly local experience away from tourist areas.. These areas are filled with beautiful parks, museums/art galleries, shops, restaurants, festivals, sporting events, etc. Here are a few recommendations in these areas, I hyperlinked the sites to each for easy access:
Lots of hotel options in these areas as well, Grand Bohemian, Embassy Suites, DoubleTree, etc.
These are all excellent recommendations, as are others on this thread. (Blue Springs park is one of my fav places)

I'm a huge fan of the Dr Phillips Center and its two beautiful theaters. Both Steinmetz hall and the Disney theatre are amazing. I've been to a few broadway shows (Hamilton recently blew me away) ballet performances, and orchestra/piano recitals. It's the perfect place imo to go solo and enjoy the arts. I think Wicked is the scheduled show and Moulin Rouge ballet for February so these are two you could go to.

Also, if you have time to burn and the weather is nice, you could drive to Clearwater and have a beach day followed by lunch at Frenchy's or go to Cocoa also for a beach day and have lunch at Gator's or Fish Lips, both excellent restaurants/bars where you can watch the cruise ships sail away from the port.

Blue Springs state park. In early February you can kayak & likely see manatees. Even if no manatees, you'll be ave to see lots of other FL wildlife in its natural setting.
Seconded! If you follow Savethemanatee on Twitter, they give updates on how many manatees are at the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter