My 9 yo DS is big - should I worry?

schatterjee

Mouseketeer
My big kid is a big kid and he'll be a few weeks from 10 on our visit. Do you think this could be any kind of issue on the DDP? It's honestly partly why we planned the visit before he turned into a "disney adult".

Any insight appreciated.

It never hurts to put a copy of his birth certificate or other ID in your travel documents. However, beyond asking the child her age, we've never been challenged at Disney.

You certainly don't need the original certified document--a copy will be fine. The only time you might need it is at check in. Beyond that, your Disney KTTW will serve as you ID.

I don't think I would worry about it too much. There are lots of kids that are big for their age, my dd always looked older, even at 13 she looks like she's 15 or 16. We've been going since she was 10 months old and they never asked us or her, her age. I've never seen it happen before at the restaurants either, I can't imagine a CM embarrassing a child like at during dinner by basically calling him out on his age. I definitely wouldn't stress over it, it's not like you are lying or have something to hide. Go and enjoy!

my 9yo ds is also quite big for his age and we've not had a problem on our last two trips (8.5yo and 9yo) and we, too, are making "one more trip" before he's a disney adult! :)

So when you don't go to eat as a group(like just you and son) does the server offer adult menu to him or do you volunteer info b4 ordering? If not with whole room, whoes to know who is who on your key?

It was my experience last August when we checked in at the podiums, all of the Hostesses asked the ages of my boys. :flower:

I asked several cast members this question before we went for the first time with my really big 2 yo dd. Every time they told me that it would not be necessary to bring her birth certificate. I think that I said once "I'll bring it just in case" and the cast member said "you can bring it but you won't need it." It must be their policy just to take the parents word. I was never questioned. If you make sure that your son orders off of the kids menu, I am sure that it won't be a problem. Plus, didn't I read on here that they don't keep track of kids meals and adult meals, so if you have the plan you are o.k.

Denise

Last week I was always asked the kids ages when I checked in. They usually weren't there with me, so it has nothing to do with how they look. You learn to say, "Gillian party, 6:10, 2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant, we're on the dining plan, and could we have a highchair please" :)

My 2 year old is tall for her age, but it wasn't a problem. I did have her birth certificate with me, but never thought people didn't believe she was still 2, so I didn't offer it up at all.

I have twin 9 yo's. DS looks about 9, maybe older. DD looks 6. Never have a problem. We are going near their birthdays and aren't worried. Once you check in the KTTKC states the ages of the children, so if they want my son to order off the adult's menu, he would, but I don't think it will come up. Again, we pre-paid for the plan, so if they want to make him older, so be it!

Unless they are traveling from another country why would a child have an ID?
Children are not expected to carry any type of official ID card, so for Disney to ask for it would be outrageous. I can't imagine the World of trouble that would create. You really just have to take the parents word when dealing with minors. (I work in a business where children are charged less than adults)
I do find that if you ask the child directly you will get an honest answer. First of all very few parents will ask their children to lie about their age, and secondly - children love to tell their age, so the truth will just come out- you can see it on their faces when they are trying to remember what they are "supposed" to say. And even then, you just have to go with it. I don't think any business, including Disney, wants the bad word of mouth that comes with calling people liars. If anyone questioned my childs age I would ask them to prove that he/she is not the age given.

A cm at the MK gate asked my not yet 2yo her age....needless to say she just looked at him funny. My dh told the guy she'd be 2 in March (this was January) and nothing more was said. I found it a bit funny because as you can see in my photo below...she looked nowhere near 3yo!

Probably wouldn't hurt to bring a birth certificate if you're worried you'll run into a cm who is a stickler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter