My Daughter just got diagnosed with Osteopenia

Stacy9402

Mouseketeer
She is just 11. I don't know much because we haven't got back into the orthopedic since she had her bone density scan. But her pediatrician was very concerned because of her age and she says that it is rare to have this at this age. She goes to the ortho on the 24th. Anyone know anything about this and if it is reversable. Is it genetic. I do have a bone deformity in my arms, wrist and elbow and have never had a density scan. My mother does have osteoporsis she was diagnosed at the age of 45. Anything my daughter shouldn't do??

Thanks in Advance
Stacy

My daughter was diagnosed with osteopenia at around age6....full blown osteoporosis at age 8....she has other issues as well, and does not walk, and this is common in girls with her main diagnosis.
However, the treatment should be the same. If she does not have reflux (my daughter does) she can take Fosamax (you've probably seen ads, commercials, geared toward older women, but I know kids can take it as well, it is prescription) My daughter has reflux so cannot take it but takes a similar drug called Pamidronat, but that is IV only, and is administered in the hospital every 4 mos. She has shown a 20% improvement in her bone density after only 1 year of treatment.
Your doctor may send you to an endocrinologist to attempt to figure out treatment and if there is a specific cause in her case.
Running, jumping, and such actually (in most cases!) help to BUILD bone density, hence the reason for many inactive people losing bone mass or being susceptible to density problems.
Of course talk to your doctor and dont' take anything I say as FACT! Just my experience with my own daughter and what her doctors have told me, specific to her.
Good luck!

Thanks. She is a healthy child. He only problem in the past couple years has been bone fractures (wrist, pinky, radius in arm). Now she does participate actively in cheerleading for 3 months of the year. She is always on the bottom she is kinda tall. Then she takes cheer classes the rest of the time except she takes breaks in the summer and usually hangs out at the pool. Also wanted to note she has never broke anything while cheerleading. Just when she had scooter wreck, fell wrong way and one was just a fluke it was her pinky. That was the reason I wanted her tested. Well hopefully the doctors will have good news.

Thanks
Stacy

Most of the stuff written about it is regarding older women, so you probably won't find much information.
But, as was already mentioned, there are treatments (there really were not a lot before except to drink milk and eat things high in calcium). And, weight bearing activities are important (astonauts actually lose some bone density while they are in space because their bones are not bearing weight). People like my DD who can't stand often go in standers to help produce some of the benefits of weight bearing.
Godd luck. Hope they have some good news for you at your visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter