My Disney ICP Adventures: Pre-summerofalifetime report! SINGLE DIGITS!

BethEJo

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

Welcome to my pre-summerofalifetime report. Basically just a PTR :)

Soooooo, as many of you know by now I’m going to be working in WDW for 10 weeks during summer 2011. Many of you know this because I haven’t shut up about it for the past couple of days, so I just want to apologise for rabbling on about it ;) but you must understand my excitement lol...

I’ve decided to start a pre-trip report to make way for a trip report which I will update regularly when I start working for the mouse :goodvibes I would love it if some of you joined me on this journey, but don’t feel you have to :lmao:! I just figured that this would be a great way of keeping a sort of journal for the whole adventure, enabling me to relive it all when I return in Sept 2011 (but let’s not think about that yet...)

It’ll probably be useful if I started with a little info about Disney’s International Program (that’s what I’m doing – have I mentioned that already?!):

So, the ICP is a unique opportunity for participants to work in front line roles at the WDW resort in Orlando, which takes place every summer. The program is available to university students from all over the world, and it is guaranteed that you will be working with guests and fellow CMs from all different cultures and backgrounds. There are a number of roles that are available to ICPers ranging from custodial, character performers, quick and full service food and beverage, attractions, house keeping, front of desk at the hotels – just to name a few! It’s not necessary to want to pursue a career within Disney in the future – the skills that you develop through doing the program will prove invaluable, and I believe that they’ll carry you anywhere :goodvibes There are 4 apartment complexes located on Disney property where the ICP students will live while working alongside other cast members from around the globe, and the American students who are doing the original College Program. The rent for these apartments comes automatically out of your pay check, and you could be sharing with anything from 1 person to 7 other people! The Disney recruiters have also been keen to let us all know that the ICP isn’t going to be easy – you will be working unsociable hours, and can work up to 60 hours a week at peak times. But to be honest...that’s all sooooo worth it when you are living and working in WDW right?!

And so why did I go ahead and apply?? :confused: There’s loooooads of reasons – apart from being a Disney-holic of course ;) This year, I took a year out of my medicine degree to study a different degree for a year – this gave me summer holidays in line with other normal uni courses. I had to make the most of this long summer coming up in 2011, and the ICP was the way to go! Also, I realised that it’s not just the attractions and the scenery and the surroundings that make WDW magical – the CMs play a huge part in this, and I find it an honour to be involved in this. And now for the soppy bit :love:...I also applied because I wanted to give something “back” to Disney – WDW has provided so many magical memories for my family and I, and I wanted to perhaps help give this experience to other guests too. Do you know what I mean?? I hope so.... 

I applied for this aaaaall the way back in the middle of June – that seems like an age away now! I got selected to receive a telephone interview in October, and after passing this successfully, I was invited to attend a face to face interview in November :) These were held all over the country, and I attended the one in Birmingham. This interview was held with the Disney recruiters who had flown over from Orlando for 2 weeks to interview potential UK applicants! They told us that they get paid to travel the WHOLE WORLD interviewing applicants for Disney’s range of international programs. What a job 'ey???!! :cloud9:

And so I suppose that this brings us to now! This week I discovered that I was accepted on to the program to work on Attractions from June 19th – Sept 2nd!!!!!! I literally couldn’t believe it :scared1::scared1:, and was shaking with pure excitement and joy! I found out at around 11pm, and couldn’t resist but to ring my parents and share the good news. On second thoughts however, that may not have been such a good idea...:rotfl: With my parents getting a phone call so late in the night and then with me blubbing down the phone in a horrendously high pitched voice that I didn’t know I was capable of, they thought that something bad had happened! I eventually managed to calm down enough to speak in a pitch that didn’t make your ears bleed, and boy were they relieved :laughing:

And so I think I’ll leave it that for now. There’s a ton of stuff to sort out in the next 6 months; criminal record checks, visa, flights – you know, all the fun stuff :lmao: and I’ll be dropping by to let you all know how it’s going.

Sorry for rambling on!! Have a magical day :goodvibes

Great start Beth. Looking forward to updates as you plan your journey and appreciate you sharing your excitement :goodvibes

So you're going to be a CM next year Beth, you kept that quiet! :eek: ;) :lmao:

I hope (know) you will have a great time and I love hearing about 'off-stage' stuff so hopefully you'll have lots of that to share when you get back. :goodvibes

Iam really looking forward to reading about all your adventures during the planning, the build-up and all the exciting times you have ahead of you next summer. I will also be experiencing it all through Taryn :goodvibes:goodvibes

Beth, I can literally FEEL the excitement in your post! :goodvibes I cannot wait to live a little bit of this journey with you next year, it's such a fantastic opportunity, I'd have loved to have done it!

Great start! :cloud9:

Great start Beth. I can't wait to read about your time there and share your planning excitement. :goodvibes I can see you are very excited already :wizard:

great start, really looking forward to reading about your adventures :goodvibes

Wow, wow and once again wow!!!!
This is going to be sooooo exciting for you and something that you will remember for ever
Can't wait to share the excitement of the build up with you
Many congratulations :)

I'm definitely subscribing to this Beth! Hopefully I'll be able to add photos to it next year as well :banana::goodvibes

Beth, I am so excited for you!
I wish I'd even thought about the ICP when I was at uni (I've just finished!)... so you're living through a lot of jealous people :goodvibes

Wishing you loads of luck... keep us updated!! :thumbsup2

xxx

I really appreciate all these lovely comments guys - I've never done a trip report before :goodvibes

So you're going to be a CM next year Beth, you kept that quiet! :eek: ;) :lmao:

I literally have no idea how you reached that conclusion ;):thumbsup2

Iam really looking forward to reading about all your adventures during the planning, the build-up and all the exciting times you have ahead of you next summer. I will also be experiencing it all through Taryn :goodvibes:goodvibes

It's amazing that we both got in - it was great meeting Taryn at the interviews, and I look forward to spending time with her next summer :)

Beth, I can literally FEEL the excitement in your post!

Haha - If I get too annoying though, you really have to tell me. I don't want to overdo it :rotfl:

I've been inspired by something that Claire S (fizz) asked me on another thread - she asked what attractions I would like to work on. Though I don't have a choice, there's no harm in me having a think about it. That's what I'm gonna go away and think about now - I'll be back to post a list :goodvibes

It's amazing that we both got in - it was great meeting Taryn at the interviews, and I look forward to spending time with her next summer :)

I've been inspired by something that Claire S (fizz) asked me on another thread - she asked what attractions I would like to work on. Though I don't have a choice, there's no harm in me having a think about it. That's what I'm gonna go away and think about now - I'll be back to post a list :goodvibes

Taryn is constantly going on about which park she would like to work in and which area and which shop etc etc .... mostly based on the costume she would be wearing and she changes her mind daily. Last evening she thought she would like to work in the Tower of Terror shop, then Frontierland shops etc etc. Before that it was Fantasyland shops, Pirates of the Caribbean and Main Street ....

As I mentioned, I thought I’d make a little list of what attractions I would like to work on. When thinking of this though, I actually decided that I'd be happy working on any attraction, but that would have made for quite a boring post...

On the ICP, we don’t actually get to choose what attraction we work on, and we only find out what we have been assigned when we arrive. Anyhoo, it doesn’t harm to have a think (sometimes it does in my case though...).
So here’s the list:

Magic Kingdom:
• Jungle cruise – I would absolutely love to be a jungle cruise skipper!!! :love: I already know half of the spiel already  But can you really imagine a jungle cruise skipper with a thick Welsh accent?! I’m not holding out much hope for that one haha!
• Haunted mansion – I love the costuming, and anything where I can scare the kids is a bonus!:lmao:
• Monsters Inc Laugh Floor

Epcot:
• Innoventions – I know this isn’t a headliner at Epcot, but I quite fancy wandering around the exhibits and interacting with the guests :goodvibes
• Test track – vroom.
• Soarin’

Animal Kingdom:
• Expedition Everest – this is where my friend worked when she did the ICP in 2009. She said the best part of her job was doing a “track walk” and then riding EE every morning. WOW! :thumbsup2
• Dinosaur

Hollywood Studios:
• Great movie ride – I’d love a spiel ride
• Rock n Roller Coaster – Cooooooool!!
• Toy story mania – because it’s toy story. Enough said
• Tower of Terror – similar reasons to HM; love the costuming and any excuse to scare kids!!

It’s so hard to pick my top attractions to work on out of these, but I think it’ll have to be:
• Jungle cruise
• Tower of Terror
• Monsters Inc Laugh Floor

I’ve also been asked what attractions would I NOT like to work on. To be honest though, I don’t think there is anything that I would be unhappy working on. Some people have mentioned It's a Small World in response to this :rotfl: saying that they would end up drowning themselves after 10 weeks. It's not thaaaat bad I reckon, be we would have to see...

I would pretty much be happy doing any role or any attraction – just working and living in WDW is a massive thrill in itself, which I am thankful to have the opportunity to experience. However, I am extremely chuffed to have got the role of “attractions” which was one of my top choices, and this just makes me look forward to next summer even more!!! :banana::banana::banana:

So guys, I would also really, really like to know: what attractions would you really like (or hate) to work on? Answers on a postcard. Or you can just comment below ;) looking forward to hearing from you all!

I'd quite like to do the railroad - driving steam trains all day would be fun but if I can stretch the definition of 'attraction' a bit my dream job would be monorail pilot. :thumbsup2

Kilimanjaro Safaris would be quite fun as well, seeing the animals all day.

Great start Beth. I'm so excited for you, and I can't wait to hear all about your plans to work for The Mouse :yay:

Pirates of the Caribbean ... I would love the chance to play a pirate every day, and I would really get into character pirate:pirate:pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter