My friend just reminded me why to go solo

DocRafiki

<font color=teal>Really is a doc!<br><font color=d
Ok that really should be a :rolleyes: rather than a :mad: .

My friend lived in Canada most of his life. Then he went to school in the midwest. He has lived here for 3 years and has never been to Disney, Universal, or even Busch Gardens!

So now, he just got a residency in Arizona, and decided he should see some of these things before he leaves. Of course, he's known all along that I've had seasonal and annual passes for 1.5 years now and sometimes go solo.

So, he got the Play-4-Days pass a few weeks ago. We went to Epcot one day (his birthday). It was less than exciting. He made me lead him around everywhere. He called work twice. We spent more time in the AP lounge than in any pavillion. It was so dull (to me).

We had planned on doing all 4 days together. He was wanting to do DAK next, this Thursday. I just told him I'd have to cancel Thursday because I just set up a job interview for that day. (I'm only working 2 days a week now and he's not working, so we have really flexible schedules).

While I'm asking this (instant messaging), he's telling me how he's so bored that he wants to shoot himself. So I ask if he wants to go the next day, Friday. And the answer is... (drum roll please)........

"I don't think so. I'm too stressed."

:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

"About what?"
"Moving."

No, he isn't running out of time to pack. He IM's me for hours all the time!

Man, I wish those tickets were transferrable. I guess they are going to go to waste :( This is the 2nd time he's flaked on me! Guess who's going solo on Friday? :smooth: :smooth: :smooth:

When it comes to Disney trips never let anyone take away from your enjoyment. This is why solo trips are so much fun. It's great to meet others on your trip that are also solo because you now have the choice of doing some rides together or continue seperately. No one gets mad........

As least you know now not to go with this person again. They just don't understand Disney the way that we do.

14 more days and counting for my next solo trip.........

I think I would have left him in the AP lounge and enjoyed myself at Epcot. He's obviously Disney impaired. My husband is severely Disney impaired so I often go to WDW solo, I enjoy visiting the parks by myself. I can ride SpaceShipEarth as many times I want, then. You will have a ball on Friday.

Disney impaired -- ha ha!

Well I gave him an "are you sure?" today, and still "too stressed." I think he's mad now since I'm not interested in his whining.

Oh, and I didn't address this... Everyone is probably thinking, "gee maybe he just doesn't like you." Yeah, I got the cold shoulder after he realized I wasn't interested romantically, but that was a year ago, and he got over that. And he still IMs me all the time and frequently wants to go out to dinner (at the same old boring places) and wants me to come over and play video games and watch movies. So, I think it's more that he is just lazy & depressed and would rather sulk and be miserable. Oh well. May sound cold, but he's really not a good enough friend to let him bring me down.

:bounce: :bounce: for Friday! (I'll actually be meeting family at WDW on Friday, but I'm sure I will spend most of the day solo)

DocRafiki,

Please do us all a favor and don't let anyone ruin your trip. Let the Disney magic take control and sit back and enjoy each moment. There is just to much going on at the world to let one person make you upset. Comes Friday you will begin to have a great time. Don't worry about how anyone is feeling. You just go and enjoy.

I will be heading down on the 24th(Oct) and I just can't wait.

enjoy your trip......

I live with someone who is "Disney Impaired" also......this is WHY I go ALONE ALL the TIME!:teeth:

LOL, 123, I think there are a lot of us with disney impaired significant others :teeth:

I, too, have a "Disney-impared" DH. One day he told me that he didn't care how often I went to WDW--as long as he didn't have to go. Well, that was all I needed :D --my solo trips began and I love them! I go to WDW for an extended period, DH will fly down to "visit" for a few days, then he'll fly back home. I'm left with all this glorious time to myself in my favorite place!

(Note: DH is starting to come around though--HE wants to go to the Food and Wine fest next year.)

Enjoy your solo time--it's just great!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Mine went with me in June. I actually got him to go to MGM and ride ToT!:eek: I got the picture to prove it.:o November I will be going SOLO as we have no-one to watch the Dog and Cats, so he will stay home with them.:o

Well, I got back today and all is well (well, except that my dog is sick and the kennel people didn't notice... I wish I had someone to stay with my pets when I go :( ).

I actually stayed with my family all day Friday. I did some solo shopping/wandering at Belz and the DTD Marketplace, as well as Epcot on Saturday for a couple of hours. I can't believe it's been about 6 years since I toured France! :eek: I plopped down and wrote about my day while waiting for Illuminations. I think this was the first time I've ever watched it while sitting down! It was pretty fun... I was sitting on the ground with a ~9-yr-old on one side and a ~6-yr-old on the other side. They were so funny! Talk about really feeling like a kid!

I did get a few strange looks while sitting there alone for almost an hour. Oh well. And I did get a little sad from seeing the food & wine fest being set up. I just started dating my ex this time last year, and we had SO much fun at the fest. I don't know if I'd want to do the fest solo, but I sure don't want to miss it.

Oh, and I got to experiment a little with Disney transportation, and I didn't feel bad for inconveniencing anyone when my 10-minute car trip turned into an hour-long bus/monorail ride! I just sat back and enjoyed. I got the NUTTIEST bus driver. :)

I'm glad that you enjoyed your solo day! I love spending time at Epcot as a solo, sounds like you do too :)

Welcome Back......

Glad you had a nice trip. Sorry to hear about your dog being sick....it's strange to think that a kennel would not notice something like that. I'm quite sure that your dog is happy that your back.

I'm sorta lucky because I will be leaving my dog with someone when I leave on the 24th oct for my solo trip to Disney.

Did you ever wonder what people are thinking when they see that you are on a solo trip? I always picture them as wishing that they too were on a solo trip.

Talk to ya later

I always picture them as wishing that they too were on a solo trip.

I bet some of them are. And I bet some are impressed that someone has the courage to do it. And then others just think it's weird and/or sad.

You know how a lot of single people will be jealous when they see couples at WDW? (Well, I've had lots of friends make comments about it). Well, at times, I would go with my boyfriend and look at people who were there with groups of friends... and I would wish I was there with friends or solo instead of being stuck with him. :rolleyes:

Hi DocRafiki,

It really sounds like your "ex" really spoiled your prior trips to Disney. I really hope that this last trip you were able to really enjoy yourself to the point of wanting to go solo again in the future. It's really a shame how some people can just drag others down to the point of screwing up a perfectly good vacation.

One thing that I have learned over my last 3 solo trips and that was I found myself more aware of things around me. I would actually take the time to focus in on different things....like in epcot, I would really spend a little bit more time in each of the countries to enjoy either there shows or what they were selling. I also thought it was the greatest thing where no one would be telling me "coming let's go".

During my last few trips I have had the luck of meeting a few single parents and we would get together at night and just talk about our days. It was things like this that really made me enjoy my solo trips.

Once again, I really hope you had a good time and hopefully you will be planning another trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter