My Handicap Parking Sticker will Arrive Too Late!

Forever a Princess

One bottle of ketchup is not enough!
Hello,

I took everyone's advice and have an ECV rental set up through Walker Mobility.

I'm the one that has a big bad bursitis in both hips.

I also went and got a handicap parking sticker permit from the Dept of Motor Vehicles, my Doctor signed it and I took it back to the Dept of Motor Vehicles today.

Sigh, I should of started this all sooner. That is my own fault.

He said that this request goes to the state and then the hang tag will be mailed to me in 10 days. I was like "There is only 7 business days before I leave for my trip."

I know, I know I should of started sooner.

I wanted to avoid the buses. In the past I have thought that getting people off and on the buses with the lift was a real pain for everyone involved.

Are the newer buses better at loading ECV's? Is there other options? Like is there a dropoff/unloading place in front of the parks?

Any help would be appreciated.
Renee

We use the bus frequently to transport DD's wheelchair. It does take a little time, but it's for everyones's safety. They have to make sure everything is fastened down well enough to keep anyone from being injured if there is an accident. If you ride the bus while sitting on the ecv, they have to do some extra fastening down and provide you with a seat belt. if you choose to get off the ecv and ride on a bus seat, it can speed up the process because the CM can fasten the ecv down differently. It's still secure, faster if they don't have to work around a rider. You can prepare ahead of time by practicing driving (especially baking up).
If you choose to park, tell the first CM that you come to that you have an ecv and need to park close. Tell every other CM directing traffic the same thing and they will direct you to somewhere you can park without a problem. It might be the first few rows of the regular lot or they might send you to the handicapped/medical parking. Some of the spots there are not signed or marked with the wheelchair symbol. You can park in those and not get a ticket.

If I have a handicapped parking placard in Texas will I be able to park in the handicapped spots on Disney property?

Jan

Yes. Florida will accept any State (or DC) handicap placards. I have heard that they will also accept the "Blue Badge" from UK.

Actually, your Texas hang tag is valid all over the country except in Washington, DC. They will only accept their own. Please write to your Congresscritter about your concerns.

I concur with our dear Moderator: the buses are much better, especially for the mobility impaired. No big deal if they hold up loading a little bit for you; drive the ECV on, grab a seat and have the driver fasten it down; it's a pretty quick process.

Our DS rides in a manual wheelchair, and rides on the bus in the chair. Loading him on and off is a little more time-consuming, but we have never found it such an ordeal as to consider driving instead. I so much prefer the buses; of course, our home base is at BWV, so we ride boats or walk to 2 of the four parks, and sometimes manage to get to another with a walk and some monorail; but the buses do just fine.::yes::

We rented a wheelchair van. Since I have plates at home I was not able to bring them. the rental place does not give you any hang tag. They did have a large blue sticker in the back window has the wheelchair. I just told them at the ticket place that i had a wheelchair and I just followed the blue line. No problems. I would go to a medical supply store near your home and purchase a wheelchair sticker and just put it in you rear window.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip to WDW ! I have rented an ECV from Walker for several trips including just last week - very smooth rental, no problems. I was even able to extend my rental an additional day!

As for disney busses ... most of the time I have had wonderful CM bus drivers & boat drivers. One night last week I had a not so wonderful bus driver. He was not only nasty to me, but also to the man in the wheelchair ahead of me. Needless to say I called a transoprtation supervisor & had a lengthy conversation. Some of the information he gave me was incorrect.

The newer busses are easier in some ways & not easier in other ways. Once you get the hang of getting on & off the busses & boats, you will be ok!

I finally broke down & got a tag but have taken an ECV to the parks in my pre tag days. There are spaces in the hc parking areas for all the parks that do not require a placard. If you wish to drive and not take the bus, simply tell the CM directing traffic that you have an EVC. They will direct you to the hc parking. Park in a space marked off with blue lines that does not have a wc only sign. I am not so sure it's a good idea to park in a hc spot that requires a tag with your own wc sign. The lots are monitored by regular (non WDW) police and I don't think that would work.

We enjoy going to different places for dinner as we tend to go to WDW in the off season when the parks close early. So while I agree that the buses are convenient, we have nevertheless often decided to drive.

If you park elsewhere (eg a resort) w/ your ECV, I recommend parking near the hc spaces even if there are closer spaces elsewhere. The curbcuts and well lit pedestrian crossing areas are largely by the hc areas and that will be the safest for you.

:wave: Cupcake

Cupcake's comments reminded me of something ... if you have a car, then valet parking is complimentary for handicapped guests. I suspect you would "qualify" with the ECV.

I would check with the valets to make sure, as the last time I asked, they told me that I had to have a state handicapped sticker to qualify for the free valet parking and that I needed to hang it up when we drove up to valet park.

Maybe you could go to DMV and ask for a temporary one. they have some they issue for temporary lack of mobility. We did this when my husband broke his ankle and leg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter