• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My logic on the extension

tvwalsh

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I have decided to extend my 50 point contract at OKW, but not my 230 point contract. Why?

First, because I am far more likely to sell the small contract some time in the future than the large contract as new resorts come on line, and the resale value as well as the desirability will be increased.

Second, because the cost is so much lower.

Third, because I really don't know which is the smarter way to go and this way I can hedge my bet.

Fourth, because I want the time capsule thingy! :banana:

I think I agree with your logic, tvwalsh. We certainly have been reading both sides of the debate on the DIS boards. But, for a 40 point contract, pretty small price for another 15 years. Of course, I could always do something else with $600...

Guess I will keep :coffee:

Plus, I am sure the time capsule thingy is worth at least $200!!

I have decided to extend my 50 point contract at OKW, but not my 230 point contract. Why?

First, because I am far more likely to sell the small contract some time in the future than the large contract as new resorts come on line, and the resale value as well as the desirability will be increased.

Second, because the cost is so much lower.

Third, because I really don't know which is the smarter way to go and this way I can hedge my bet.

Fourth, because I want the time capsule thingy! :banana:

Oh good. Your first three reasons had me thinking you were making a spurious decision, but then your time capsule thingy logic makes all the sense in the world. :thumbsup2

Can you please explain the time capsule thingy?
Webmaster John attended the meeting where the decision was made at OKW. In the information he reported to us, he said that those who extended would get a "Time Capsule Thingy." Unfortunately, he did not know what it was, nor do I.

I was making an attempt at humor since it will, no doubt, have little or no value. :)

Webmaster Doc attended the meeting where the decision was made at OKW. In the information he reported to us, he said that those who extended whould get a "Time Capsule Thingy." Unfortunately, he did not know what it was, nor do I.

I was making an attempt at humor since it will, no doubt, have little or no value. :)

Thanks!!
I thought I may have missed something!!!!

Webmaster Doc attended the meeting where the decision was made at OKW. In the information he reported to us, he said that those who extended whould get a "Time Capsule Thingy." Unfortunately, he did not know what it was, nor do I.

While I wish I could have attended the meeting - I was not there. :(

Actually, it was WebmasterJohn who posted his report about the meeting. I still don't know what the "Time Capsule Thingy" will be (and will never find out personally), but am certain that it may well be worth the $15 per point charge all by itself! ;) I will still get the "limited-edition lithograph though! :)

So you are paying money now, in hopes of having a higher resale value later??? I just don't think I'll ever understand this logic... :confused3

Oh well, I guess only time will tell. I don't see the "new" OKW contracts ever differing much from SSR in terms of resale value. So you will definately be adding $5 to $8 dollars of resale value (not a gain, since you are paying in that value), but it is VERY unknown that you'll ever gain back that $15 of value on a future sale.

Can anyone tell me why you would extend??? To pass it on in your will? I know my DH was all hung up on buying extra points at SSR and that he would lose 15 years, however if it did get extended is it a truly good deal? We are in our early 40's.... Perhaps for our children would benefit!! We have young kids 9 and 4.

Can anyone tell me why you would extend??? To pass it on in your will? I know my DH was all hung up on buying extra points at SSR and that he would lose 15 years, however if it did get extended is it a truly good deal? We are in our early 40's.... Perhaps for our children would benefit!! We have young kids 9 and 4.

Sorry not SSR HHI sorry!

You'll probably recoup your cost when you put the "time capsule thingy" on E-Bay!

I haven't participated in the threads so this may have already been mentioned --

I'm pretty annoyed by the promotional look of this notice. I'm not sure if I hadn't read on the DIS that this "add years" program was happening whether I would have bothered to read through the material. If someone is planning to bill me for close to $10K for something I never asked for, I think a more formal notice would have been in order. The line "because Members voted..." kind of grates as well. It's also nice to see that my guide now has a name. He hasn't put his name on anything for the last 8+ years!

Okay -- feeling better. I see no reason for me to add-on since my "heir" has little interest in DVC.

Webmaster John attended the meeting where the decision was made at OKW. In the information he reported to us, he said that those who extended whould get a "Time Capsule Thingy." Unfortunately, he did not know what it was, nor do I.

They did mention at the meeting that it will be shaped like a lighthouse and that you will be able to place mementos of your trips in it. Maybe it will have a clock in it as well to count off the extra 15 years.

They did mention at the meeting that it will be shaped like a lighthouse and that you will be able to place mementos of your trips in it. Maybe it will have a clock in it as well to count off the extra 15 years.

Well if the time capsule thingy is anything like the Tapestry thingy, dont hold your breath!!:rotfl:

Before you buy the extension you need to find out how much more Disney will be selling the "new and improved" OKW contracts for. My understanding is they only plann to raise the price by $4, and if this is true then you shouldn't be willing to pay more than $4 for the extension.

Disney is having trouble selling 2042 OKW.

I don't want to have trouble selling 2042 OKW if I sell.

Disney hopes to sell lots of 2057 OKW more easily.

I will at least have my 50 points of 2057 OKW to sell if I choose to. :teacher:

Disney is having trouble selling 2042 OKW.

I don't want to have trouble selling 2042 OKW if I sell.

Disney hopes to sell lots of 2057 OKW more easily.

I will at least have my 50 points of 2057 OKW to sell if I choose to. :teacher:

The 50 point contracts are the most valuable because they let people get their foot in the door. You shouldn't have to add anything to it to get it to sell. I just think if you have trouble selling it you can discount it by an extra $10 over the extended contracts and still come out ahead. :teacher: :teacher:

But it's your call!

p.s. I'm in the real estate business, and I consider the DVC a reasonably good deal, especially for timeshares. But this deal reeks, and quite frankly, it upsets me.

Notice the part about hedging my bet! You may be right, it may turn out to be a bad purchase. If so, I will still be a genius for not extending my 230 point contract. :cool1:

In 2042, DW and I will be 89 and probably not going to Orlando. However, our children will be 56 and 51. These numbers hurt to even think about!! So, the kids will have the points long before 2042.

But, an extra fifteen years would tie them over to ages 71 and 66, prime years to be going to Orlando. We have 40 points at OKW, and 280 (180 +50+50) at SSR, expiring in 2054. Between the two of them, they ought to be able to handle 320 points and the annual dues. If not, they can sell the contracts and/or rent the points. I planned on getting another 40 points at OKW sometime so they each would receive 180 points.

But it would be good if all contracts expired around the same time. What are my options for getting additional 2054-7 points? I could spend an additional $600 now, or I could sell my 2042 contract now for maybe $85/point, pay the TSS their cut, say $5/point, and then turn around and purchase 40 AKV (or 2057 OKW) points at $94/point, with no closing costs thru Disney. My savings in selling now: $1/point, which would disappear if TSS charged me more or if I had to sell it for $84/point. Plus I would have all the pain of doing this process!

Yes, there have been lots of gloom and doom about what will OKW look like in 2057, and what will Disney do in 40 years, no one will want to go to Orlando with gas and plane prices, the parks won't exist in 40 years, and what about the price of oil in 30 years, etc. Of course, I (and maybe others) had those some concerns when we bought in 2001 and 2004: what will happen in 30 and 40 years?? I guess I trust DVC to make the same type of decision that Marriott or other top timeshare developers would do. If I am wrong, I still had 30 years of Disney, and timeshares are a lousy investment anyways!

Well, back to :coffee: I have until Feb 2008 to finalize my theories!! Good luck guessing about the future 30 years from now!

Highly Illogical​
SpockVulcan.jpg

Couldn't help myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter