My nightmare with Disney cruiseline and irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still trying to understand if the OP believes that DCL is responsible for our trips once we leave our homes? If I book travel through DCL, I expect that they should assist, if possible. If I travel on my own, DCL would have no possible way of knowing my plans. Based upon what I have been reading, there are some of us who believe that DCL should book hotels, pay for gas and meals, for those of us who choose to drive ourselves to the port. Sorry, I just don't understand the logic.

OP, I am so sorry you went through this. We went through a very similar situation last year with Matthew and I too was very frustrated with how DCL handled the situation. In our case the cruise was postponed a day (48 hours out) because of the hurricane and they would not help us to find accommodations, which was very hard given the hurricane. What made our situation so upsetting (to me at least) was we were delayed a day so the Dream could dock instead of our ship. DCL said because of the hotel room shortage (which there was!) they allowed passengers to stay on the Dream overnight while docked at P.C. I find it great that they were willing to help those guests, but at the same time providing them with accommodations cut us off from getting the accommodations we had booked (the ship). We did have insurance but that still didn't make it any easier to try and find a place to stay. I understand cruising during hurricane season comes with risks and cruises can be changed and/or canceled, but I think when these situations arise DCL really drops the ball.

A lot of people have mentioned that this is "your fault" for traveling into Florida when there was a hurricane. In the Matthew situation they didn't adjust our cruise until the day before Matthew hit, at that point most people had already traveled into Florida in advance of the storm. DCL was insistent the cruise would go and if you were't comfortable with that then you were out the money. That is a lot of money to loose, and again it is so easy to make judgements when it is not your money. By the time they offered the ability to cancel the cruise everyone was already in Florida as you had no way to get to the cruise between that window of the hurricane hitting and the cruise leaving. DCL is the one that would not allow people to move their cruise to not risk their safety without taking a complete loss on the trip.

It is very easy for others to judge this situation and tell you how you are feeling is wrong and lecture you on the risks of hurricane season. Hurricane season lasts 6 months people, 50% of all cruises are at risk, sure some months carry more risk but it lasts half the year. Until you are the one in this situation, don't be so quick to jump on the OP. It is perfectly valid to feel frustrated and disappointed and I am sorry you had this experience.

I really don't think the responses were mean, most including myself were simply stating that travelling during hurricane (ok so it's actually peak) of hurricane season, one should have additional funds available to them. Really at any time, but especially then and especially knowing a hurricane is indeed on the way.
We were affected by Matthew last year. I was very disappointed and sad about certain things, but once I had a few days to really reflect, I knew DCL handled things well.
The people on the "extended" Dream sailing you mentioned were already on the ship. Unfortantely not all decisions made in such situations prove to be popular. Peoples' vacations get distrupted and so emotions are high.

I'm still trying to understand if the OP believes that DCL is responsible for our trips once we leave our homes? If I book travel through DCL, I expect that they should assist, if possible. If I travel on my own, DCL would have no possible way of knowing my plans. Based upon what I have been reading, there are some of us who believe that DCL should book hotels, pay for gas and meals, for those of us who choose to drive ourselves to the port. Sorry, I just don't understand the logic.
I think if there's a major hurricane heading towards Florida. DCL should give people with Disney hotel stays before the cruise the option to cancel. I understand they don't want to lose the money. The problem is you end up with a bunch of people stuck in Orlando that can't get in or out. CM's can't get to work, there's not enough rooms and it just creates a big mess for the guests and the employees at WDW. I honestly don't see how this is beneficial to anyone especially to the poor cm's at WDW who not only have to worry about their own homes, but have to deal with guests with nowhere to go.

I'm sure if DCL would have allowed her to cancel her cruise she would have never flown to Florida. I'm also sure she was not the only one that experienced the same problem. I've cruised on the Dream 3 times in September and always stayed a week at WDW before the cruise. I think she was lucky POR was able to accommodate her hopefully others in the same position were as lucky as well.
I find it strange that you have state officials telling people to evacuate and DCL telling people to show up or they are out thousands. The last thing Florida needs during a major hurricane is more people showing up in Florida.

Last edited:
Anytime you post something negative about DCL or WDW on these boards you are going to get nasty responses. It's just the way it is. I just got back off the Wonder in Alaska. I had a great time. I didn't like everything about my cruise. Disney's not perfect by any means. I do feel like other cruiselines handle these hurricane situations a little better. It makes me very hesitant to book a cruise with DCL during hurricane season.

They did a better job with this one than RCCL did with Harvey. Up until the day the Liberty was supposed to sail, they were insisting there was some magical wind where they were going to be able to get into a port that was at level Zulu (closed) and telling people that the ship was going to sail only one day late and they needed to be on board or they'd lose their money. And demanding proof of cancelled flights or inability to get there due to flooding and closed roads - and then would say that a picture showing obvious flooding was not good enough. Finally at around 2pm on the original sail date they called it off. It was a horrid mess.

I think if there's a major hurricane heading towards Florida. DCL should give people with Disney hotel stays before the cruise the option to cancel. I understand they don't want to lose the money. The problem is you end up with a bunch of people stuck in Orlando that can't get in or out. CM's can't get to work, there's not enough rooms and it just creates a big mess for the guests and the employees at WDW. I honestly don't see how this is beneficial to anyone especially to the poor cm's at WDW who not only have to worry about their own homes, but have to deal with guests with nowhere to go.

I'm sure if DCL would have allowed her to cancel her cruise she would have never flown to Florida. I'm also sure she was not the only one that experienced the same problem. I've cruised on the Dream 3 times in September and always stayed a week at WDW before the cruise. I think she was lucky POR was able to accommodate her hopefully others in the same position were as lucky as well.

IF the hotel was booked through DCL as a land and sea package, they know that.

If the hotel was NOT booked as a land and sea package they have no way of knowing that.

IF the hotel was booked through DCL as a land and sea package, they know that.

If the hotel was NOT booked as a land and sea package they have no way of knowing that.
It's not that hard to prove you can just send them a copy of your WDW reservation. I think all cruiselines should give people the option to rebook not necessarily a refund. The last thing you need during a disaster is tourists adding more stress to an already stressful situation. No power, no gas etc etc. I know cruiselines aren't obligated to do it. It just seems like the right thing to do in these situations. I feel for the people the live and work in these cities and hoards of tourists showing up don't help the situation at all.

In a perfect world, a business that knowingly operates in hurricane alley and is responsible for weekly groups of thousands of people , would have a hurricane shelter large enough to house their average weekly clients.

But, we don't live in a perfect world. In our world, Disney can charge double any other cruise line and still sell out every cruise months/years in advance. I don't see them changing what works anytime soon.

You trusted an employee in a call center somewhere who said you would be taken care of.

Yes, God forbid. We should all know better than to ever trust anything a representative of a company tells us over the phone. YES I understand that they are often wrong, and that they don't always know their policies, and they aren't "on site", and all the other trillion mitigating factors. But the FACT is that this is the person that DCL makes available for a customer to talk with. The FACT is that, when we lose our ability to routinely place faith in a company's representative, that is a really, really sorry state of affairs and is the most company-apologist stance I could imagine taking, especially for a company whose reputation for customer service and care is part of why they are able to charge such a premium over other companies.

I'm sure if DCL would have allowed her to cancel her cruise she would have never flown to Florida.

YES. YES. yes. I'm sorry, you encourage folks to come into a zone that literally has had a state of emergency called for it, and then you do NOT help them find accommodation when you cancel? What about all the folks dumped into that state of emergency coming off your cruise ship? Yeah, for the price I pay for Disney, I would certainly expect them to be making some phone calls to secure some rooms somewhere. Airlines don't do that for you? They should be doing that for you, too. The fact that they don't also give me grave doubts about traveling with DCL in the future as well. I don't expect them to pay for the rooms, but I expect them to help me find them. Even if they refund my money, don't forget they SAT with my money for possibly years. They are making money off of me and will continue to do so as a returning customer. Are they contractually obligated to help? Of course not. Is it the right thing to do from a customer care POV? Yeah, it really, really is. The fact that so many of you see nothing wrong with this situation is boggling my mind. If you yourself were stranded in a cruise terminal (which I understand was not OP's situation, but still) I cannot imagine you would be doing quite so much song and dance on DCL's behalf, even though they would be just as contractually un-obligated to help you.

Do I understand the OP's responsibility in this situation? Yes. Is she a "perfect victim"? No. But this is their standard care and yeah, that's not cool. Not what I expect from a company that prides itself on how they'll bring me ice to my room 5 times a day but won't freaking make sure I have a hotel if I'm in an emergency zone because they TOLD ME TO COME OR I WOULD LOSE MY MONEY.

Travel insurance is also not an instant payout, even when you have insurance to cover pre- and post. You need to pay for everything then submit claims.

True.

Lol didn't want them to pay wanted them to find a place for us to actually go because ours was full

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/vacation-protection-plan/

Is that what you had? Interesting to note that travel assistance was part of your insurance if that's what you had. Plus $500 for a trip delay over 12 hours.

I think that in situations like this Disney should allow people to cancel and get their money back. It sounds like the OP had called and would have not gone at all if she could have cancelled her cruise and get a refund. But when you have thousands of dollars on the line of course I would also have flown to FL hoping it all worked out. Do I blame Disney for not making arrangements after the fact? No, but I do think that maybe they should have opened up a cancellation with refund so people who were heading that way days in advance could make their own decisions. They do advertise the park and cruise vacations so they have to assume that lots of people are already at WDW before their cruise.

dcl allowed the op to cancel. Partial refund. Op's choice to continue with plans. Dcl has no say over wdw resorts.

Do they actually have actual land/sea trips anymore?

Yes I am kind of surprised at the hostility of responses. Everyone us entitled to there opinion but no need to be nastyle like some on here are being u would think I kicked there dog lol

I see no nastiness. Just reality.

I think if there's a major hurricane heading towards Florida. DCL should give people with Disney hotel stays before the cruise the option to cancel.

Dcl has no say over wdw resorts.

I'm sure if DCL would have allowed her to cancel her cruise she would have never flown to Florida.

75% refund would have been the OP's if she cancelled befor Disney did. They were allowing the cancellation.

especially for a company whose reputation for customer service and care

They haven't had tha rep for years now. They have been dismantling it step by step. Anyone who thinks they have that reputation is living in the past, imo.

Yeah, for the price I pay for Disney, I would certainly expect them to be making some phone calls to secure some rooms somewhere. Airlines don't do that for you? They should be doing that for you, too.

But you can do that so much faster!

You want maybe 200 reps in various states making phone calls for 5000 people? When you could be in charge of your destiny so much easier? I'd be laughing at people letting Disney do the work as I got my reservations secured in short order.

Bavaria's years-old post about traveling during weather seasons (it's specifically for winter plane travel) from the Transportation forum should be required reading for everyone. We are in charge of our destiny. We should not rely on any other agency.

Bavaria's years-old post about traveling during weather seasons (it's specifically for winter plane travel) from the Transportation forum should be required reading for everyone. We are in charge of our destiny. We should not rely on any other agency.

I miss @bavaria...

I think one of the problems is that reputations die slowly and there definitely was an air of "don't be afraid of hurricanes when you are at Disney, they will take good care of you" around pre-Irma.

I am very sorry for the stress the OP had. However, I am happy that she posted about it as it will hopefully be a warning for other people who plan to book cruises for September and October in the future. While we all hope that Florida will get another long spell with no hurricanes, they are not uncommon and it is better to be prepared than to be caught up in events.

YES. YES. yes. I'm sorry, you encourage folks to come into a zone that literally has had a state of emergency called for it, and then you do NOT help them find accommodation when you cancel? What about all the folks dumped into that state of emergency coming off your cruise ship? Yeah, for the price I pay for Disney, I would certainly expect them to be making some phone calls to secure some rooms somewhere. Airlines don't do that for you? They should be doing that for you, too. The fact that they don't also give me grave doubts about traveling with DCL in the future as well. I don't expect them to pay for the rooms, but I expect them to help me find them. Even if they refund my money, don't forget they SAT with my money for possibly years. They are making money off of me and will continue to do so as a returning customer. Are they contractually obligated to help? Of course not. Is it the right thing to do from a customer care POV? Yeah, it really, really is. The fact that so many of you see nothing wrong with this situation is boggling my mind. If you yourself were stranded in a cruise terminal (which I understand was not OP's situation, but still) I cannot imagine you would be doing quite so much song and dance on DCL's behalf, even though they would be just as contractually un-obligated to help you.

They did not "encourage [her] to come into a zone that literally has had a state of emergency called for it". She chose to go ahead and go into a zone that had been put in a state of emergency. It was pretty clear that Florida was going to be hit, and she chose to go ahead with the early part of her vacation. Had she included that part in her trip insurance, that money would have been subject to refund as well.

I'd wager that the majority of cruisers for the three nights are either semi-local or come in the night before, so there was plenty of notice given to them not to come in. It was not like they made the decision the day before or even the day of (looking at you and Harvey, Royal Caribbean and your magical unicorn "window to dock" at a port under Code Zulu).

Even doing the first part, she admitted she felt like the cruise wasn't going to go, but made no tentative alternative plans such as reserving a rental car or even attempting to extend her - because she had no extra funds available. I get wanting to have the trip paid off in advance - I do that myself - BUT you should have either cash or a credit card with availability on it for unforeseen circumstances. What would she have done if something had happened and she missed the ship? I don't see an airline, a foreign hotel, or especially the government of either this country or another being willing to give her credit to help her get home. Or if the cruise HAD gone and she ended up being gone until today? What was she going to do about getting home after a missed flight?

I'm not saying Disney is perfect, but many, many of the mistakes in this are 100% NOT Disney's fault.

When did we lose free will and become puppets? No one, including DCL forced anyone to fly into an area that was expecting a cat 4/5 hurricane. If you're uncomfortable cruising with the impending forecast and are flying into the area a few days ahead of time, don't go! Cancel the trip and call your insurance provider.

I don't see any of the comments in this thread as being "nasty" or "mean". They're honest replies. The OP posted a rant on a public forum...guess what, she's going to get responses to said rant. Sometimes the truth hurts.

We were scheduled to be on the 9/9 Fantasy that got canceled. Of course we were in Orlando already from Minneapolis and couldn't get home when our flight was canceled. We were able to secure a room at the Polynesian during our cruise dates. DCL will reimburse the cruise and 25% off a future cruise. Many of the cruisers are upset about that discount because they can't double dip with a on board booking discount and credit, so if you already have a cruise booked you can take 15% off the price and lose your on board credit.
At least that is what people think right now. They gave us a window between 9/18 and 10/18 to use the discount. We will call then to see what is actually happening. We have another cruise booked next year already and don't have time to take another one.

The refunds have not shown up yet - they said 7-10 days. It has been 8 or 9 days right now...we are lucky to have A yearly trip insurance policy we pay for that will cover our hotel expenses and food minus the cruise reimbursement during this week. Therefore even thought the Polynesian plus food was more expensive than the cruise - we should break even. Of course we did pay for park tickets and Halloween party which I doubt I can put thru the insurance :)

I think DCL did the right thing in canceling the cruise - could there have been more communication of course, but when can there not be? I learned most from disboards and my cruises Facebook group before any official Disney information came out. I would love a sweeter deal on a future cruise, but 15% is still 15%. I am upset because this cruise would have made us platinum - now we are still one cruise away from that elusive free Palo meal!! Unless they give us credit for it :)

By the way Polynesian was unbelievably amazing during this experience. Hot meals, tons of character meet and greets - it was basically like we were on a cruise.

OP,

I just wanted to make sure this one point sticks out in all this back and forth:
Please check to see if the insurance you purchased would have reimbursed you for anything, I know disney canceled it by issuing a refund on it but if your missing out on reimbursement because they cancelled it by mistake you really need to focus on getting that issue resolved with DCL/Insurance

Last edited:
I think OP has been bashed enough about her finances, and honestly none of us know what her personal situation was at the time. This will happen again maybe this year or next and the same problems will arise. I think DCL did a better job this year then they did last year with Mathew...so that's progress.

I am very sorry for the stress the OP had. However, I am happy that she posted about it as it will hopefully be a warning for other people who plan to book cruises for September and October in the future. While we all hope that Florida will get another long spell with no hurricanes, they are not uncommon and it is better to be prepared than to be caught up in events.
THIS, exactly. I am from Ohio - we don't get hurricanes here, and due to my husband's work schedule, we normally don't travel in August -October. I have never thought about hurricane season - before a year ago or so, if you'd asked me when hurricane season is, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. I wouldn't have known that booking a cruise during this time is crazy risky. I'm glad that I know now, and it's also made me really think about getting travel insurance for future cruises, something we hadn't ever done before.

In a perfect world, a business that knowingly operates in hurricane alley and is responsible for weekly groups of thousands of people , would have a hurricane shelter large enough to house their average weekly clients.

But, we don't live in a perfect world. In our world, Disney can charge double any other cruise line and still sell out every cruise months/years in advance. I don't see them changing what works anytime soon.

Are you joking? Where would these magical shelters be built? Also what about earthquake regions, tornado alley, etc? There is no way that many shelters could be built much less kept stock for the one in 10 year chance they are needed.

Are you joking? Where would these magical shelters be built? Also what about earthquake regions, tornado alley, etc? There is no way that many shelters could be built much less kept stock for the one in 10 year chance they are needed.

I agree. And then think of the outrage people would have that "OMG, they put their guests in there when there were people who LIVE here who had nowhere to go!!!" It's a nice theory, but pretty unrealistic.

Although this year so far has seen TWO "once in 500 year" storms, so...

I agree. And then think of the outrage people would have that "OMG, they put their guests in there when there were people who LIVE here who had nowhere to go!!!" It's a nice theory, but pretty unrealistic.

Although this year so far has seen TWO "once in 500 year" storms, so...

OT but one of the problems is that America builds primarily only to the 100 year storm limit. Incredibly short sighted. Places like Florida and the Texas coast should be building to the 1000 year minimum. But that's another discussion for a few drinks and a different forum. lol

Keep in mind that midwesterners typically have basements, for tornadoes.

Basements are uncommon in the south, and no help whatsoever against hurricanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter