My Slow Divorce from Walt Disney World

Our divorce was finalized 8/21/21. I wasn’t sure it was the end of our relationship at the time.
I thought maybe I’d end up meeting them at O’Malleys for a pina colada but it turns out they would rather be out on the dunes sipping champagne with somebody that has more money to spend than me.

I’m not sure I understand your statement. Exactly what agenda are you referring to?

I agree with you there are far bigger problems to worry about decreased disposable income being one of them. As people’s discretionary income decreases cutting ties to something you dont find the value in seems like a normal response to me.
While I would love to share exactly, it would devolve inevitably into politics wouldn't it? Since that would be yet another contentious (and dead-end) discussion - let's keep the good times rolling!

While I would love to share exactly, it would devolve inevitably into politics wouldn't it? Since that would be yet another contentious (and dead-end) discussion - let's keep the good times rolling!
I'm not sure what politics has to do with the topic, but I'll take your word for it.

Disney has made no effort to hide, and I believe have even publicly stated, that they value the once in a lifetime visitor more than the repeat visitor based on a cost per trip calculation. I have no doubt the one and done people spend more on average than the repeat visitor and as long as there is a never ending pool of those guests to come down there really is no incentive to swing back to catering to the repeat visitor.

Agreed. I guess that is the only explanation why they continue to devalue the Disneyworld product and continue to improve Disneyland. They can get away with delivering a garbage experience in Florida but not in California.

Disney has made no effort to hide, and I believe have even publicly stated, that they value the once in a lifetime visitor more than the repeat visitor based on a cost per trip calculation. I have no doubt the one and done people spend more on average than the repeat visitor and as long as there is a never ending pool of those guests to come down there really is no incentive to swing back to catering to the repeat visitor.
The same holds true for DCL their loyalty program or lack of loyalty program is a joke compared to other cruise lines.

No one was arguing. I was asking what he meant by his hidden agenda comment. Don't start trouble when there isn't any.

So now we can argue about whether we were arguing or not..... Much safer and less likely to have the thread run aground.

Our divorce was finalized 8/21/21. I wasn’t sure it was the end of our relationship at the time.
I thought maybe I’d end up meeting them at O’Malleys for a pina colada but it turns out they would rather be out on the dunes sipping champagne with somebody that has more money to spend than me.
Sounds like you made a full Escape...

I must admit, the sheer price for park admission is just nuts now. Depending where you are in the world, they vary widely. In various European countries, for example, you can only buy 7 or 14 day Park Hopper tickets for the SAME HUGE PRICE! No option to go for a 5 day hopper any more. And from the look of it, American punters have to pay through the nose to ridiculous ends especially for short breaks.

I still love Disney and like the effort they are putting into developing the parks in Florida, but it's a bit of a kick in the teeth.

It used to be I would get excited when my wife said let’s take the kids to Walt Disney World this year. I would frantically start my research using websites and spreadsheets to estimate the costs.
Today it’s impossible. It is too varying and complicated to get an actuate cost. And why? Too much has disappeared. Gone is the transportation from MCO, tickets that don’t expire,
and now based on the time of year, free parking, room rates with only four ‘seasons’, now seven, and not charging extra for weekends, free fast passes where you can do a least something.

But I don’t blame Disney executives for this, I blame business schools for teaching the American Greed Technology where establishing as many revenue streams as possible is the thing to do.

I do understand that some guests prefer to stay at higher end resorts as compared to the All Stars, great, but the parks should be equal for all.
Having better resources gives one the ability to do more just by paying for it. And those that can’t, don’t.

In the coming months I will be reevaluating the meaning of ‘Magic’.
I'm in the same boat. I get that people may choose higher end accommodations at Disney and that is their right. What angers me is that they are charging so much and people are not getting the minimum that they paid for which is a full day in the park with access to all of the rides. It's so crowded that you may only get to ride 3 rides in the whole day (if you pay more for the luxury), especially when Disney shortens the hours. I would be ok paying the high prices if I knew that I could actually enjoy all of the rides and entertainment, but it's so crowded and understaffed that there's a chance I won't even get to enjoy the very thing that Disney World was built to do. It used to be that you could spend a whole day at Magic Kingdom and have time to enjoy a majority of the rides, parade, fireworks and a sit-down meal. And park hoppers allowed you to park hop whenever you wanted. Now they sell the same thing for more money and more restrictions. It's not just the greed. They are creating a situation where you don't get to enjoy the park unless you pay top dollar and jump through hoops. I feel sorry for people who go there on a lifetime vacay thinking that they can walk around and hop on rides like other parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter