My take on mousekeeping offer

Nohal

DIS Veteran
Here is my take on the mousekeeping offer. Right now they are offering a gift card if you decide to get into the program. What happens if they decide to make this a "thing"? There will be no gift card and the price of the room will not go down but probably up as their prices continue to rise. How many mousekeepers will lose their jobs if they make this a "thing"? I don't use the self checkout in stores because they put someone out of a job. Will it make any difference to the environment if you take this offer? If I decide to do it I will get new towels from the pool as I like a fresh towel after every shower. Also I'm on vacation and like to come back to a room with my bed made and fresh towels and toiletries. As it is just me and DH I have to decide if this is something I want to do. Your thoughtspopcorn::I'm ready.

I’m guess I’m a weirdo, but I’m keeping the housekeeping. It was so nice coming back from a long day at the parks to a nice, clean room. :confused3

I agree. For me, that's part of what makes it feel like vacation. Coming back and, "Oh look! Somebody else cleaned everything up! Yay!" That's the one of the biggest things I miss when using my DVC points.

Here is my take on the mousekeeping offer. Right now they are offering a gift card if you decide to get into the program. What happens if they decide to make this a "thing"? There will be no gift card and the price of the room will not go down but probably up as their prices continue to rise. How many mousekeepers will lose their jobs if they make this a "thing"? I don't use the self checkout in stores because they put someone out of a job. Will it make any difference to the environment if you take this offer? If I decide to do it I will get new towels from the pool as I like a fresh towel after every shower. Also I'm on vacation and like to come back to a room with my bed made and fresh towels and toiletries. As it is just me and DH I have to decide if this is something I want to do. Your thoughtspopcorn::I'm ready.

Opting out if housekeeping for some monetary incentive has been a trend in the industry for a while now. Disney was slow in trying it. One of the main reasons they finally decided to offer it is because they can't find enough housekeepers as it is.

I really don't see them bucking industry norms in charging for a basic service.

We would take the offer. I end up cleaning the room once we are in it due to allergies. I find I do a much better job than housekeeping. We can get clean towels without a problem and we make our own beds. We are pretty low maintenance and usually stay just a few days as we live an hour away. Kind of home away from home every year.

I got back from Pop last week and I was offered the housekeeping offer which I took. It was great for us, my sister and I are two adults that don't make much of a mess so daily house keeping is not necessary. We had our towels changed on the third day and on the fifth day they did a full clean, this happened again on our eighth and tenth night stay and it was perfect.

I guess there are both pros and cons with this scheme but personally I am all for it and my experience with it was positive.

I don't agree with the OP that they will start charging for basic hoisekeepng service. For us, we always kept the do not disturb sign on the door for the entire trip anyway, so it is a bonus. I don't like people in my room at all. We don't make much mess, I don't make my bed at home and reuse my towels anyway.

Oops, gotta fix the signature, we are here now. Our DVC rental room was not ready until 5:30, so they gave us a $100 room credit!

I don't think there is any chance at all of their dropping Housekeeping property wide. No way.
I would never take the offer nor would I stay at any resort that didn't provide daily service. Having someone else straighten up each day is part of vacation. I don't want to do chores I do at home on vacation. Sorry, in my world chore and vacation do not go in the same sentence. Ever.
However for those that it works for, I see no drawbacks, only pros as far as I can tell.

Opting out if housekeeping for some monetary incentive has been a trend in the industry for a while now. Disney was slow in trying it. One of the main reasons they finally decided to offer it is because they can't find enough housekeepers as it is.

I really don't see them bucking industry norms in charging for a basic service.

VERY TRUE, they are even offering signing bonuses ........... and if you take it a step further ......... these new dog rooms will basically end up "housekeeping free" since guests will need to be there so they housekeeper can clean, and would likely take a few hours out of your Disney day .... so now not only is Housekeeping not given but neither is the gift card, they are instead being paid an extra $50+ per night. Adding dogs helps with the housekeeper shortage AND they take in money ... of course they'll probably spend more in upkeep of these resorts but Disney may see the win/win here.

I intend to keep housekeeping. Even though my daughters are adult.

Already I’ve read reports on roach infestation, and decline on housekeeping services even if you haven’t opted out. People are experiencing hit or miss on services. Disney cut backs already on housekeeping? Longer waits to get into room on arrival?

I intend to keep housekeeping. Even though my daughters are adult.

Already I’ve read reports on roach infestation, and decline on housekeeping services even if you haven’t opted out. People are experiencing hit or miss on services. Disney cut backs already on housekeeping? Longer waits to get into room on arrival?
Longer than what?
I find room ready time has always varied. It is just luck, or lack of luck, on if you get your early or not
We had 3 check ins last week
Our room last week at YC was ready before we even took off, got the text at 10:12 am
Our room at CC (new Villa at WL) was ready at 3:34 pm
Our room at SSR was ready at 11:24 am

Going back to August stay our room at BWI was ready at 12:25 pm
Our room in May at AKL was ready at 8:30 am

I got a new phone in May or I'd check back further

Last edited:
Longer than what?
I find room ready time has always varied. It is just luck, our lack of luck, on if you get your early or not
We had 3 check ins last week
Our room last week at YC was ready before we even took off, got the text at 10:12 am
Our room at CC (new Villa at WL) was ready at 3:34 pm
Our room at SSR was ready at 11:24 am

Going back to August stay our room at BWI was ready at 12:25 pm
Our room in May at AKL was ready at 8:30 am

I got a new phone in May or I'd check back further
I’ve been reading some posts of people not getting into room until way past 3:00. And not getting housekeeping even though they haven’t opted out. It just sounds like a reduction of staff. :confused3
With few exceptions I’ve always gotten my room early. I drive up to WDW from Ft Lauderdale where I stay first to visit family. So I arrive early. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.
But Nov I’m flying directly to MCO. Coming from west coast I won’t land till 4:30 so no worries about room ready this trip :rotfl:wish we could get room ready texts. Must be sooo cool.

I’ve been reading some posts of people not getting into room until way past 3:00. And not getting housekeeping even though they haven’t opted out. It just sounds like a reduction of staff. :confused3
With few exceptions I’ve always gotten my room early. I drive up to WDW from Ft Lauderdale where I stay first to visit family. So I arrive early. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.
But Nov I’m flying directly to MCO. Coming from west coast I won’t land till 4:30 so no worries about room ready this trip :rotfl:wish we could get room ready texts. Must be sooo cool.
It may be due to a reduction in staff but it's not by choice reduction. They are actively looking for additional staff, not cutting staff. Big difference.

For us, we always kept the do not disturb sign on the door for the entire trip anyway, so it is a bonus. I don't like people in my room at all. We don't make much mess, I don't make my bed at home and reuse my towels anyway.

^This.

I also wonder how many that have gotten in rooms later have completed online check in and what they gave as their arrival times, is there is any connection?
We got a room assigned very late earlier this year. However, this was after MDE started to pick up on flight times if you'd provided the arrival info to ME. Our flights arrived at 9:30 PM and we got room assignments really late that trip, well after 3:00. I believe they put us in the area that was one of the last to the be cleaned because during our stay our rooms were never cleaned before 3:00. Since they knew our arrival time they knew it was no problems to put us in a room that late. I've noticed that many of my room ready texts come in near the time I enter as our arrival time (when we haven't used a ME time)

If we're offered the incentive, we're going to take it. We're extremely neat, both of us. The only thing we *might* need is the trash taken out and that's easily done ourselves. We tend to tidy up after ourselves as we go along anyway. I can see families with children opting to keep housekeeping, but for us as two adults, we're fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter