My thoughts about SSR

Maribel

Mouseketeer
This was my first stay as a DVC but I had stayed at the Beach Club resort before (the regular inn, not the villas). What I liked was the size of the accommodations. Everything was very new and the sleeper sofa was very comfortable, so in terms of inside the room, everything looked fine. Now, since we got there wednesday evening there was only 3 room left for us to choose, all of them in the Paddocks and 2 of them smoking, so we stayed in the building that is closer to the gate.
Now, having a toddler, I found inconvenient to be so far away from the main area since we needed to walk so much, yes, we could take any bus to go the springs, but it didn't help us much on the way back since after the springs the buses left the resort. Even thought we didn't use it, the pool was packed, and this was with tempetures in the low 70's, so I could only guess how difficult would it be to use this facility from march to october when the temps in florida are higher. There was a quite pool near our building that was not really packed, but of course, it didn't have any slides or theme for the kids.
We found the selections at artist palete to be good enough. I must confess I was really worried after reading other posters about the lack of selections at this place, but we appreaciated that it was not your regular counter service selection.
The bus transportation was excellent. We did use the boat to downtown disney a couple of times, but I think they need to review their schedule during peak seasons. Saturday night the boats arriving to pick passengers at SSR coming from OKW were almost full, so many people that were waiting were left there waiting (we were lucky we got there first so we were able to get in).
In all, other than all the walking that we had to do, we had a good time and thought the resort was excellent, but what we really find impressive was our accomodations (we stayed in a 1bd), but my husband thinks that he would like to stay in the epcot area unless nothing else was available (thank god we did purchase 100 points more on the boardwalk) because of the "in the middle of the action" thing. In SSR, I don't think you will be able to get that same feeling unless they start putting some good activities in there. I saw they have like a theater, will that be used for moving showings or maybe for some sort of show? that would really help make it more "entertaining"

Thanks for the review.

I was just thinking about calling MS tomorrow to book a studio for a 3 night stay checking in on a Friday night. After I read your report, I think I will continue my waitlist at BCV and BWV. We will be arriving late on a Friday night and we need a non-smoking room for medical reasons. All resorts are pretty much sold out for our dates (including regular Disney hotels), so I will be concerned with the room selection to not be close to the main section since we will not have a car, and we have 2 little kids.

Thanks for the review. We stay there for the 1st time in Jan (4th to 11th) we check in on a wednesday, so that concerns me a little. I did a request a room in the padocks I belive (near the main pool). Hope we get it. We have a todler anda preschooler.

What floor where you on? Did the rooms have elevators or was it hard to get up the stairs with a stroller?

Hey DisneyPhD - I'll be there the same time as you! :)

Terri

TEK224 said:
Hey DisneyPhD - I'll be there the same time as you! :)

Terri

Cool, hope the weather is good and the crowds light.

Look for the cute kids with dark hair and happy parents (who are very un tan coming from MI in Jan. :rotfl: )

DisneyPhD said:
Thanks for the review. We stay there for the 1st time in Jan (4th to 11th) we check in on a wednesday, so that concerns me a little. I did a request a room in the padocks I belive (near the main pool). Hope we get it. We have a todler anda preschooler.

What floor where you on? Did the rooms have elevators or was it hard to get up the stairs with a stroller?

All the buildings at SSR have elevators. Your stroller shouldn't be a problem.

DisneyPhD said:

The springs is the area to book for the main pool

The Paddocks area is quite large. We recently stayed there and were actually closer to the Congress Park pool than our own.

I like SSR for many reasons, but think having a car there is a really good idea. Especially for those not up to walking distances, a car would be very helpful.

There should have been an internal bus. I thought that SSR had them. You can take any bus to the front and an "internal bus" that loops around the resort back. Maybe someone who has stayed recently can chime in. Glad you had fun.

When I stayed there earlier this year(and we stayed in the Congress park section near the footbridge to DTD) when I wanted to go to the pool, I walked to the bus stop(500-700 feet) got on any bus...and then got off across from the pool. Going back from the pool, I walked left up to the bus stop(20 feet) and got on the next bus...they all stop at all of the bus stops. I thought it was really easy. I am not really familar with where you were staying, but I was really happy with my ability to get to the pool...and I don't think we could have been further away.
As to the food court...yes the food is different than standard FC fare...which I loved too, but I just wish there was more to choose from. I think eating there 4-5 times you get pretty tired of the some options. Saratoga Springs, NY also has lots of barbaque places....

I think SSR is really nice, relaxing(Spa theme), and it is a nice break.

lat said:
Thanks for the review.

I was just thinking about calling MS tomorrow to book a studio for a 3 night stay checking in on a Friday night. After I read your report, I think I will continue my waitlist at BCV and BWV. We will be arriving late on a Friday night and we need a non-smoking room for medical reasons. All resorts are pretty much sold out for our dates (including regular Disney hotels), so I will be concerned with the room selection to not be close to the main section since we will not have a car, and we have 2 little kids.

I haven't stayed in either BCV or BWV, but for I have read, in some cases you can do a lot of walking there too, though I guess not as much as you will do in SSR. I guess the only way to have more choices of rooms to select from is to get there early for your check in.

canwegosoon said:
When I stayed there earlier this year(and we stayed in the Congress park section near the footbridge to DTD) when I wanted to go to the pool, I walked to the bus stop(500-700 feet) got on any bus...and then got off across from the pool. Going back from the pool, I walked left up to the bus stop(20 feet) and got on the next bus...they all stop at all of the bus stops. I thought it was really easy. I am not really familar with where you were staying, but I was really happy with my ability to get to the pool...and I don't think we could have been further away.
As to the food court...yes the food is different than standard FC fare...which I loved too, but I just wish there was more to choose from. I think eating there 4-5 times you get pretty tired of the some options. Saratoga Springs, NY also has lots of barbaque places....

I think SSR is really nice, relaxing(Spa theme), and it is a nice break.

We did the "get on any bus thing" going to the pool, but we never saw an internal bus, and the buses that you take at the pool stop leave the resort for their final destination next without stoping in the paddocks stop (our stop), so it pretty much meant walking all the way back.
We only ate in Artist Palette two times (one for dinner and one for breakfast) so, it was good enough for us to select from.

pmcpmc said:
The springs is the area to book for the main pool

Ok so it is the springs area that we "requested". I know requests are only that. We will see when we get there.

I think it would be very, very wise if DVC were to decide to build another themed pool (with slide) in one of the more remote parts of SSR. This would make those sections more desirable and relieve congestion at the main pool.

We stayed in the Springs the first week of October. It was very hot, but we were constantly surprised at how empty the pool area was! There were tons of chaises' available and the slide never had a wait for the kiddies.

I guess we just got lucky, it seems when the resort is finished, the pool will probably be too small.

Okay,

Flame suit ready. Ummmm.... I just wanted to say/add if you are a regular walker these distances at SSR are not that bad. Okay, I didn't have young children with me. However, I just don't understand....oh I feel the flames now....but if you feel the child is too young to walk these distances then you have the stroller. If the child isn't too young then what is wrong with the walking/exercise? And if it is late at night and they are sleeping then there are always the buses. I understand heat and blisters and people who have health issues and such. But other than that I want to add IMHO SSR is great for walking. Beautiful walks. And nothing is a tremendous distance.

wdwlver said:
We stayed in the Springs the first week of October. It was very hot, but we were constantly surprised at how empty the pool area was! There were tons of chaises' available and the slide never had a wait for the kiddies.

I guess we just got lucky, it seems when the resort is finished, the pool will probably be too small.
We were there Oct 14-21 and the main pool was never crowded. We preferred the quiet pool at CP because it was so quiet but there was never a problem getting seats at the main pool even in the heat of the day.

wdwlver said:

I've heard rumblings about a second themed pool being in the works at SSR. Anyone know anything more?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter