My trip to BCV or so I thought!!!!!!!

momba#9

Earning My Ears
We just returned from a rather dissapointing trip to WDW. It all started when we recieved a phone call from MS on Saturday the 12th. The call regarded our check in at BCV for the following day. Apparently the 2 bedrooms were over booked and we were being moved to BWV 2 bedroom standard view. Well, my first reaction was just being stunned. My second reaction was to just make the best of it. They were apologetic and refunded the difference in points. So off we went.

BWV check in was a rather bad start. The bellman/valet were very distracted and not friendly at all. Not like we remembered when we stayed at the BW inn 4 years prior. CM checking us in couldn't have been more grumpy. I wish I had gotten her name but I do remember she was from Haiti. We were in room 3135 a lock off 2 bedroom. Room was the last room at the end of those loooooooooooong halways. View wasn't bad for a standard with a view of the canal and Tower of Terror. Room was worn and just seemed rather dull. Room was clean except for the balcony which was filthy!!!!!! I'd be willing to bet that it has never been cleaned.

Well we were glad to be at WDW so we just moved on and headed for the pool. Pool was very crowded and just filthy. Garbage all over, chairs in disaray and the pool just seemed old. I had heard they recently refurbed the pool but for the life of us we couldn't see what. Maybe the pool surface, I don't know. We had some conversations about maintenenace at DVC Resorts after this experience. The deluxe resorts we are used to just seem to be better maintained than this DVC Resort. I hope they all aren't like this one!!!! The BW really needs work. Our first stay as DVC members was at SSR. It wasn't great either but you know after staying at BWV we will go back to SSR before the BWV. Nicer overall with WAAAAAAAy better food/drinks.

Eating just became a huge hassle there with kids. Nothing poolside except for Turkey or Ham sandwich pre made, chips or pretzels, that is it, not even a hot dog. You either head out or cook in your room. ESPN wouldn't do a to go order for me either. Eating became a stress point on our resort days. SSR had good food to grab at AP, I expected something better I guess. Room service menu has changed or is very different from the one that we had years ago at the BWI. Nothing for non meat eaters and extremely limited choices. We did eat at two of the BW restaurants for diner, Spoodles and Big River. Both were pretty god but again very few choices. The menus seemed very generic to us and paired down. Both even had Hummus, I mean Spoodles that makes sense but at a Brew Pub??????

We took the kids to Universal and Seaworld. Both were excellent and we enjoyed them both. We love the variety in Orlando and we had decided up front not to do the Disney parks as we will be returning so often.

All in all we really enjoyed the trip. We even had two magical experiences. First was at the boat rental place near the YC. I took the boys over to rent a boat. Two friendly girls approached and asked if we had some time. We said sure and they proceded to give us our own private pirate chase. We boarded the boat and looked for the pirate around the lagoon. We chased off the prirates and recieved treasure at the end. Very cool and the boys loved it!!! It was part of the eyar of the million dreams. We also had another experience at the community hall at thew BW quiet poool. We rented bikes there and upon return we were told no charge and thye even gave each of us ice cream mickey ears!!! Awesome stuff, really. TWO in one trip. Maybe the WDW gods looked out for us afterall.

We now have at least stayed at all of the DVC Resorts so we can now make an informed decision about what we like/dislike. We seem to be a BCV/VWL family I guess as those are our favorites. After that we like OKW/SSR with BWV being last on our list. We think the new AKV might appeal to us as well.

Thanks for reading.

Mike

We just returned from a rather dissapointing trip to WDW. It all started when we recieved a phone call from MS on Saturday the 12th. The call regarded our check in at BCV for the following day. Apparently the 2 bedrooms were over booked and we were being moved to BWV 2 bedroom standard view.

:scared1:
Seriously?
I always thought you got offered an upgrade if the resort was over-booked, not a downgrade. That is not cool at all. :headache: :eek:

Congratulations on the dreams though!! The pirate one sounds very neat!

Sorry to hear about the bad start. Glad to see you won some dreams though to make up for it!

We stayed at BWV this last spring break.
I didn't notice that the pool area was in disrepair, but I will definitely agree with you about the food issue.
I had 6 kids with me (took my nieces and own kids) and agree that forging for food during the morning and lunch was a hassle. I would walk over to BCV marketplace and bring back breakfast. Lunch, if we weren't in a park, got really old with the choices from the bakery.
Even though I really like the theming and location of the BWV, I will only stay at BCV from now on when we stay near Epcot.

I'm curious, when did you book your two-bedroom? I wonder how they decided that you would be the one to be bumped? And I wonder if they overbooked the cask paying customers and they made a DVC owner pay for their mistake? I wonder if member services would be able to tell you what happened?

I'm curious, when did you book your two-bedroom? I wonder how they decided that you would be the one to be bumped? And I wonder if they overbooked the cask paying customers and they made a DVC owner pay for their mistake? I wonder if member services would be able to tell you what happened?

This was booked about 10 m0nths ago when we became DVC members at BCV in July.

I wasn't given much of an explanation just that my 2 bedroom was unavailable. Given there is no 3 bedrooms at BCV they couldn't have upgraded me there. They told me they put me at BWV because of the similiar location and same room type. The standard view was all they had according to MS. We were told that this is not the norm and they apologized the best they could.

Part of me wanted to push harder but you know all we wanted was a relaxing trip to WDW without stress. I'm thankful they told us BEFORE we arrived. Something good came of it in that we now know the resorts we prefer and barring any other "bumps" we'll get one we most enjoy.

Thanks,

Mike

Wow. I am always shocked when I read about people being "bumped" from the resort they booked. At least you were still in the Epcot resort area I guess. I was at BWV earlier this month and the balcony was filthy in our room too. I have seen the maids out there cleaning them, but I guess they need to do that more often. As far as food goes, I think most of us agree with you about the lack of quick food. Especially at the pool. They used to have hot dogs at the pool with chips and that was perfect. I hate that they got rid of it. Glad you were still able to enjoy your trip!

We just got back from BWV last night and we had a WONDERFUL time. Check in was great. Bell service was great. I do agree with you about the Counter service. Somewhat of a pain to get anything. We actually used almost all of our CS at the bakery. Very good sandwiches. I thought the pool was very clean but didn't really care for the circus theme. But now that we have stayed at all 5 DVC resorts it is our 2nd Favorite resort behind BCV. Sorry you had such a bad time but I to would have been FURIOUS about the down grade of resorts. Sorry to hear about that.

Sorry you had a less than magical stay at BWV. I have to agree with you though....although we own at BWV and love it to pieces, I do wish they had more quick food options. And a corn dog isn't going to get it done for me. Grab and go food is available at the other DVC resorts, why not at BWV. But, it is my only gripe with them.
I have yet to have a clean balcony. The balconies at BCV, the Polynesian, and BWV have all been yucky. I actually have to wipe everything down and empty ashtrays myself. At least ashtrays shouldn't be an issue pretty soon.

I can only imagine that there were people that decided to stay extra nights, so the villas weren't open.

I too am shocked that this happened. And as far as guests deciding to stay, can't the front desk tell them, "No, I'm sorry, but we have guests expecting to check in." I've never heard of this happening-after reserving 10 months out at one resort, being called THE DAY BEFOREHAND to be moved, and even worse, to be downgraded. Was this your first experience after becoming members? Our worst experience(our only bad experience) was our first stay after becoming members. And on that trip, we met some other new members who got the "no balcony" room at VWL on their first stay. Sometimes, I wonder if we all get the "new member-give them the trial by fire!" sticker on our first reservation. Please don't give up on DVC, but please do try to get some answers as to why this happened. Has anyone else ever experienced this last minute change?

I can only imagine that there were people that decided to stay extra nights, so the villas weren't open.
Does this really happen? I can't see how a person with a ten month reservation would be bumped by somebody who woke up and decided to stay another night.

I too am shocked that this happened. And as far as guests deciding to stay, can't the front desk tell them, "No, I'm sorry, but we have guests expecting to check in." I've never heard of this happening-after reserving 10 months out at one resort, being called THE DAY BEFOREHAND to be moved, and even worse, to be downgraded. Was this your first experience after becoming members? Our worst experience(our only bad experience) was our first stay after becoming members. And on that trip, we met some other new members who got the "no balcony" room at VWL on their first stay. Sometimes, I wonder if we all get the "new member-give them the trial by fire!" sticker on our first reservation. Please don't give up on DVC, but please do try to get some answers as to why this happened. Has anyone else ever experienced this last minute change?

No I don't think it's a new-member trial by fire type thing. Our first trip was to VWL and we had a great room with a view of the lake through the trees. Don't know if it helps by checking in on Saturday?

As to the OP, now I am somewhat concerned about BWV, we were considering trying it on our January trip. :confused:

This is JMHO, but you paid a premium for BCV points and made a reservation well within your 11 month window. I think you should be reimbursed for all your points from the downgraded reservation. People complain about things on the boards all the time that are not really valid, but in this case, I think you are totally justified to expect compensation for the over-booking and downgraded reservation. If I were you, I'd write a letter.

I think you were treated very poorly, and they must have been thanking their lucky stars they got someone as easy going as you were. At the very least they could have offered you pool privileges at Stormalong Bay and a complimentary dinner or something!

My stay last month at BWV was less than magical so I understand your disappointment there. I have been a huge Boardwalk fan for years, but there is no question that things are slipping and there are substantial issues with housekeeping and maintenance. I hope they get their act back together soon.

It sounds like you had a positive attitude and managed to have a good vacation. I am glad you had the Magical Experiences and I hope your next DVC trip is as Magical as it should be! :wizard:

This is JMHO, but you paid a premium for BCV points and made a reservation well within your 11 month window. I think you should be reimbursed for all your points from the downgraded reservation. People complain about things on the boards all the time that are not really valid, but in this case, I think you are totally justified to expect compensation for the over-booking and downgraded reservation. If I were you, I'd write a letter.
Like Starbox, I'm not a big fan of some of the "lumpy-pillow" complaints we get here sometimes.

But telling you the room you booked 10 months ago is "not available" is simply not acceptable. How can that happen? And what makes anyone think moving you anywhere -- even with an upgrade -- is adequate compensation?

You booked your home resort and they didn't deliver. You should get all of your points back.

We stayed at BWV about 2 weeks ago and I was not that impressed with them. The one thing that bothered my family is the fact that they turn the boilers off for the water from around midnight to 6 am. If you have a room at the very end of a hallway and you need to shower between those hours, you do not get hot water. If you need to shower between 6 and around 7:30, you have to let the water run for a half hour prior to getting in so that the water warms up. We complained to the front desk about the lack of hot water and was given a credit of $50.00. We went to buy more points the next day for AKV and were discussing this with our guide. He had never heard about this, so he called BWV. The manager was up front and honest saying that they turn off the boilers to save money and if anyone complains, they just credit the person $50.00. He also told the guide they have been getting more and more complaints about it. My guide was not to happy about this and planned to take it up the chain of command because he can not understand how it can save the resort money if they then credit people $50 and tell them to let the water run for 30 minutes before hand. My only thought is that a lot of people do not complain, so they do not have to give out $50 too often. We did not experience this at BCV or SSR, both of which we really enjoy.

This was booked about 10 m0nths ago when we became DVC members at BCV in July.

Ten months out?! That's nuts! You need to write a letter. Lay it on thick. You're a brand new BCV owner, you paid a premium for those points, you wanted your first visit to be at BCV, and your kids wanted to swim at SAB. You deserve to get those points back.

And as far as the boiler goes . . . sounds as if everyone making a BWV visit needs to have a shower around 2:00 am. :rolleyes: Manager dools out enough $50's maybe he'll get the message. I'm really getting tired of the nickel and dime mentality.

Ten months out?! That's nuts! You need to write a letter. Lay it on thick. You're a brand new BCV owner, you paid a premium for those points, and you wanted your first visit to be at BCV. You deserve to get those points back.
Yep...if Disney wants to play the overbook/bump game then they should shell out like the airlines.

Move you to the BWV, but this trip is on the house. Our bad.

I'm really getting tired of the nickel and dime mentality.

I know those that post often know what a huge defender I am of WDW but I will agree with the OP on this one that deluxe resorts at Disney are getting a better grade of maintenance, rehabs and housekeeping and service than DVC.

At this point I am afraid that the upper management at DVC is more concerned with expansion than the current memberships.

If a cash guest had booked a 2 bedroom and it was not available a suite would have been offered.

We stayed at BWV about 2 weeks ago and I was not that impressed with them. The one thing that bothered my family is the fact that they turn the boilers off for the water from around midnight to 6 am.
Well, that happened to us as well four times during our stay. I forgot to mention it. The first time was around 3:30 p.m. My wife had to let the shower run for about 30 minutes before it got hot. It happened to me the day we left at 6:30 a.m. I let it run for 20 minutes or so and still nothing. I gave up and shaved and washed up before heading home, frustrating to say the least. The other two times were mornings as well.

My wife gave me some grief for not complaining "louder". We wanted and had booked BCV 10 months out and to not get it was a dissapointment. We are new members but not new to WDW Resorts. We want to give things a chance before passing judgement. ANY Resort can have problems so I try to give the benefit of the doubt when possible. The turning the hot water off post gets me more angry than anything really. Don't WE as members pay for that anyway???? How is that saving the resort money????

Thanks for the support. We still love WDW and hope for many magical trips in the future.

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter