My troubles with taking carryon luggage into WDW parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it is very useful to be familiar with the rules and policies before arriving at the parks. However, you lost me with your last sentence. The vast majority of CMs are hard working individuals, and while it can be frustrating when you receive inaccurate information, it's not right to lump them all into one category. Remember, the pixie dust we all like on Disney vacations comes from somewhere.....

I always take a small carryon luggage (bag with wheels) into WDW parks and had never had a problem until last fall.

First, at Magic Kingdom, when we went through entrance the magic band scan, a woman told us that we couldn't take the luggage into MK. So I told her that I would take care of it. The she said OK and let us go. That's it! Seriously!

I later looked up WDW rules and found out that my luggage was totally allowed because the rules says luggage must be under 24 inches, and mine was only 18 inches.

Rules: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

Then, at Blizzard Beach, I was again told that my carryon was not allowed and must be put into storage. So I was pulled aside and given paperwork to fill out. (At that point, I still hadn't read the rules.) But before I even started filling, a manager looking person walked over and asked what was the problem. After I told her, she said that wasn't true, I could totally bring the luggage in. Then she proceeded to reprimand the worker who held me up, so I high tailed out of there!

What I learned: study the WDW rules before you go, and put it on the cell phone for ready retrieval so that if the CM comes up with some nonsense, you can readily refute them. Also, demand to speak to the manager. The CMs make minimum wage and doesn't have a clue about nothing.

Side note: I've never had trouble taking my carryon on the buses.
I agree it's good to know the rules and it would be nice if the CM were aware of what is allowed and not allowed, especially if they are working in a position that they will have to encounter the guests. I think in the case of the rolling cases they are trained to tell guests nothing rolling can be brought in, when in fact there is a size limit. They get a lot of complaints about rolling cases/coolers so I'm sure they try to dance a fine line to keep everyone happy. But, until the rule changes you are right, they are allowed within the size limits.

As to your bold statement, that's a bit of a broad brush you are using.

From your link.....

General Rules b.

AND

Prohibited items e.
If you intend to pull the carry on behind you it is in fact a prohibited item.
While it seems like to most people (and I think where the CM get confused a lot too) E. contradicts with D. the fact is, they do not consider a rolling case or cooler a trailer-like object. So they do allow them, for that reason.

The only thing that comes to mind when I read your post is, "Why the heck are you bringing carry on luggage into the parks?"
I think this every time I see dozens of them in the parks. Coolers too. I can't fathom dragging either through parks all day. And the folks I see trudging along with them are never smiling, that's for sure. But lots of folks seem to need them. Coolers I can guess, they bring their food. Though I'd just get a locker instead of dragging that thing around. But suitcases, I have never managed to figure it out either.

I do wonder when they'll change the rules to ban rolling bags/cases. When they get enough complaints I guess.

From your own direct quote, under General Rule B, they can refuse any bag, whether it meets other rules or not. So, yes, they could have told you you couldn't bring it and be well within their rights.
Makes you wonder, why have any other rules at all? They can use B to allow or disallow whatever they want. No other rules or limits are needed, right?

I think this every time I see dozens of them in the parks. Coolers too. I can't fathom dragging either through parks all day. And the folks I see trudging along with them are never smiling, that's for sure. But lots of folks seem to need them. Coolers I can guess, they bring their food. Though I'd just get a locker instead of dragging that thing around. But suitcases, I have never managed to figure it out either.

I do wonder when they'll change the rules to ban rolling bags/cases. When they get enough complaints I guess.
The coolers, I can understand. For some families, packing food is necessary due to cost, allergies, religious reasons. We don't carry a cooler, but I do bring a back pack filled with snacks and beverages. Dd has allergies and it makes life easier. But a suitcase, not so much.

I take this type of luggage for a week - and take at least 4 pairs of sandals. I'm so curious as to what you're toting. Ya'll have no idea how badly I want to ask the guys with huge backpacks that will invariably hit me in a ride line what they've got. It could be anything, it could be practical, it could be dietary food, it could be diapers and changes of clothes, it could be tons of camera stuff, it could be a ventriloquist doll, or every portable game system. I just wanna know so much... I mean, I always kinda want to ask, but it seems A) rude and B) I can never make myself speak to a stranger except to tell them they have toilet paper on their shoe or something.

I take this type of luggage for a week - and take at least 4 pairs of sandals. I'm so curious as to what you're toting. Ya'll have no idea how badly I want to ask the guys with huge backpacks that will invariably hit me in a ride line what they've got. It could be anything, it could be practical, it could be dietary food, it could be diapers and changes of clothes, it could be tons of camera stuff, it could be a ventriloquist doll, or every portable game system. I just wanna know so much... I mean, I always kinda want to ask, but it seems A) rude and B) I can never make myself speak to a stranger except to tell them they have toilet paper on their shoe or something.

Lol @ the ventriloquist doll Me and my boyfriend bring a backpack into the parks because we hate to have to carry a bottle around. Or our phones. Camera. Sunglasses. We also bring extra clothes in case we get wet and want to change. Or maybe keep a rain jacket. We only bring in small backpacks though. Like a regular sized school bag. Would never consider bringing anything large or intrusive. I must say,though. If you're being bumped into by people's bags maybe you're standing a bit too close? Unless of course they're being severely obnoxious and swinging themselves and their bags all over the place. Just wanted to offer some insight into what might be in some people's bags!

Lol @ the ventriloquist doll Me and my boyfriend bring a backpack into the parks because we hate to have to carry a bottle around. Or our phones. Camera. Sunglasses. We also bring extra clothes in case we get wet and want to change. Or maybe keep a rain jacket. We only bring in small backpacks though. Like a regular sized school bag. Would never consider bringing anything large or intrusive. I must say,though. If you're being bumped into by people's bags maybe you're standing a bit too close? Unless of course they're being severely obnoxious and swinging themselves and their bags all over the place. Just wanted to offer some insight into what might be in some people's bags!
Most people that carry half their house on their back have no idea how obnoxious they are to people around them. You definitely don't have to be in their personal space to get whacked.

See - that all makes sense. I will be in line and have these ridiculous conversations about smuggling troglodytes or a barbie dream house into the Magic Kingdom. I'm random like that, but those super oversized bags just make me wonder so much. I'm sure it's normal stuff, but I really want it to be weird!

I think I'm just one of those people that aren't noticed - like wallpaper. I'm definitely not up in people's business:) This mainly happens in MK. It could be that I'm super clumsy and it IS me, but in terms of being close, I'm pretty awkward with strangers, so I would never get close.

While it seems like to most people (and I think where the CM get confused a lot too) E. contradicts with D. the fact is, they do not consider a rolling case or cooler a trailer-like object. So they do allow them, for that reason.

The rules on the website are more guidelines really because of that clause that says they are able to change them at any time. There are 2 clauses that could be used against rolling bags and coolers. 1 the any bag can be denied and 2 the behavior that endangers other guests. This is a theme park not a beach or park or airport. People aren't looking out for things people are pulling behind them so it does create a fall hazard to other guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter