"Myth"-ing Something at Mythos

kidsncatsndogs

Earning My Ears
Well, after years of hearing about how great Mythos was, my DD (11) and I had a late lunch there on March 25. I have to say we were rather disappointed. The restaurant is very attractive, and a nice peaceful oasis from the crowds, if somewhat over-airconditioned. But our waiter was abrupt and mechanical, acting rather bored. We were surprised by the preponderance of Asian-style dishes on the menu, which certainly seemed at odds with the theme, but we both like Asian food and plunged ahead. The bread was yummy, raising expectations. I ordered the lobster and corn bisque as a starter. It was cutely served in a shallow bowl with one half lobster bisque and one half corn bisque, but while the corn half was tasty, the lobster half (allegedly made from Maine lobsters flown in fresh daily--really?) had an off taste--kind of metallic. (I'm from New England and have been eating lobster all my life, so I feel pretty qualified to judge lobster flavor!) I was surprised that there were no pieces of lobster floating on top (how bisque is usually served, in my experience), which I thought was kind of chintzy. DD decided to order two appetizers and skip a main course. She had Chinese dumplings, which were pretty good, and an odd concoction called, as I recall, a deep-fried sushi roll. It tasted as bad as it sounds (and yes, she's a long-time sushi eater). After hearing so many raves about Mythos' risotto, one of my favorite foods, I ordered that day's version, which, according to the waiter, was supposed to include grouper, salmon, and vegetables in a garlic-flavored broth. It looked very pretty as it arrived on the table. Two pieces of fish balanced on top of the risotto--but it turned out they were both grouper--nary a whisper of the promised salmon. The risotto sat in a bath of soy sauce/teriyaki-style fluid. The sauce was horribly salty, and soaked up through the risotto so that I could only eat the top layer. (I rescued the fish from the dreaded sauce by heaving it onto my bread plate!) The fish was okay. For dessert we shared the near legendary gooey chocolate banana thingy. It was tasty, but not so unique as we expected, except for the crispy banana garnish. In fact, I make a flourless chocolate cake at home that tastes the same, and isn't all that hard to make, though of couse I don't serve it with all the sauce, ice cream, etc. We were rather rushed through our meal--I guess because we were the last seating of the day and they wanted to go home, but in a nice restaurant, I like a more leisurely pace, even if I am in an theme park. All in all, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at Mythos

Sorry to hear it.

Mythos is/was the fan favorite around here. But I guess things change. Whenever I visit, I order the simply stuff like the wrap.
I'll still visit, because the view out the window of Hulk is cool, plus Mythos is one of my favorite music groups.

I wasn't overly impressed either. It was ok but I won't be back. I guess to each his/her own.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe they were having a bad day. Whenever I've been to Mythos I've had excellent food and service. I love the way they blend the flavors in their creations. I go out to eat often, and Mythos is one of my favorite restaurants.

I figured Randy would be in here.

How is Confisco's?

You still there?

In case you didn't know it, Randy frequents the boards, and was the main man at Mythos. He moved to Confisco's this year but had plans for other things.

For some reason, I think Confisco's will become the new fan favorite, because I've met Randy, and he rules. At Mythos, he was the last man before every dish went out. He accepted nothing but perfection. I'm sure that will move to Confisco's if he's there.

If not, the suits reading this need to hire someone with his standards, that being nothing short of perfection.

And that means someone who yells, screams, and pounds the shelf until the dish is perfect to present to the customer. That's what Randy did.

Thanks for reading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter