N95 mask fitting

kiddo76

DIS Veteran
Now that N95 masks are more readily available, I have seen multiple sources recommend using N95 masks preferably to surgical or cloth masks. When used in the workplace, there is a fairly extensive fitting process. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to conduct an at home fit test?

Please no comments about the effectiveness of mask wearing. I would just like advice on the safest way to wear an N95 mask. Thank you!

Last edited:
Now that N95 masks are more readily available, I have seen multiple sources recommend using N95 masks over surgical or cloth masks. When used in the workplace, there is a fairly extensive fitting process. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to conduct an at home fit test?

Please no comments about the effectiveness of mask wearing. I would just like advice on the safest way to wear an N95 mask. Thank you!
Can't answer how to wear that type of mask, but I just read an article regarding masks (and fighting variants):
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/a37135570/best-face-masks-delta-variant/
I also found this:

If you are wearing a n95 mask with another mask with it. It might not be safe. Of course it will be very safe to avoid getting covid but you might pass out. N95 is no joke. Depends how good your pulmonary is. At work we have to take a pulmonary function test because wearing a n95 again is no joke.

I have seen multiple sources recommend using N95 masks over surgical or cloth masks.
Just wanted to clarify that you're intending to wear the N95 UNDER a surgical or cloth mask, not over. The N95 works because it forms a seal to the face (which is why it does not work effectively for someone with a beard or if it's not a proper fit). Wearing one OVER another mask would not allow it to fit tightly to your face, so that would negate the effectiveness of wearing the N95.

Just wanted to clarify that you're intending to wear the N95 UNDER a surgical or cloth mask, not over. The N95 works because it forms a seal to the face (which is why it does not work effectively for someone with a beard or if it's not a proper fit). Wearing one OVER another mask would not allow it to fit tightly to your face, so that would negate the effectiveness of wearing the N95.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant over, as in being preferable, not physically over. I will edit my OP.

Now that N95 masks are more readily available, I have seen multiple sources recommend using N95 masks preferably to surgical or cloth masks. When used in the workplace, there is a fairly extensive fitting process. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to conduct an at home fit test?

As a retired RN, the fit testing involves a hood and scented spray. I’m not sure there is a way to emulate in the home setting... You have the person put the mask on, then a large plastic hood is placed over the head and on the shoulders. A scented spray is introduced to the hood. If the person wearing the mask can smell the spray, then the fit test failed.

At least that’s how we did it years ago. There may be other testing methods, now….

As a retired RN, the fit testing involves a hood and scented spray. I’m not sure there is a way to emulate in the home setting... You have the person put the mask on, then a large plastic hood is placed over the head and on the shoulders. A scented spray is introduced to the hood. If the person wearing the mask can smell the spray, then the fit test failed.

At least that’s how we did it years ago. There may be other testing methods, now….
Yes, that's what DH told me he has to do at work. I know any test I did at home wouldn't be as accurate. But if I'm going to switch to N95, I might as well try to get ones that fit as well as I can get them to.

If you are wearing a n95 mask with another mask with it. It might not be safe. Of course it will be very safe to avoid getting covid but you might pass out. N95 is no joke. Depends how good your pulmonary is. At work we have to take a pulmonary function test because wearing a n95 again is no joke.
I wear a surgical mask over an N95 quite often at work (as does any and every one that enters a Covid + room, which is quite a lot of people). Earlier in the year it was hours and hours of the day. No issues. A little hot and sweaty (though the gown, gloves, goggles, and face shield didn't help that), but no breathing issues.

We wear an N95 alone with other PPE in Covid rooms. Have not seen anyone wear a surgical mask over one. Seems like overkill, especially outside of a hospital setting.

I wear a surgical mask over an N95 quite often at work (as does any and every one that enters a Covid + room, which is quite a lot of people). Earlier in the year it was hours and hours of the day. No issues. A little hot and sweaty (though the gown, gloves, goggles, and face shield didn't help that), but no breathing issues.
It’s interesting how different policies can be in various hospitals.

you are talking about a control environment that is nice and cool. Big big difference I work by a 1500 degree heater. Some people do not work in a cool controlled environment.

We wear an N95 alone with other PPE in Covid rooms. Have not seen anyone wear a surgical mask over one. Seems like overkill, especially outside of a hospital setting.

It’s interesting how different policies can be in various hospitals.
Ours was to help preserve the N95, since we were reusing them. We are no longer reusing them, but its kind of just stayed.

Still the same!

Yep same for me too. We have to do it once a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter