Napa Rose Chef's Counter- a little disappointment

Linkura

DIS Veteran
I am going to make a Just Back/mini trip report, but I didn't want this to get lost in there by people who might be interested. We did the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose on Tuesday 9/19. The food was overall very good, and the service was great; however, I wanted to warn people here that all but one item we received was straight off of the menu. Except that instead of picking what you want off the menu, it was basically random who got what, limited by allergies. Only one app was something that wasn't showing up on the Napa Rose regular menu when I checked afterwards. My understanding going in was that the food for the Chef's Counter was going to be something special and mainly stuff that wasn't on the main menu based on the chef's whims. That turned out to not be the case at all and I wanted to make sure people know that. We were only charged $100 per person, so it was still a good deal for the amount of food and service. But it was not what we expected and what others may expect from it.

I'm interested to know if this is the norm now and if it didn't used to be this way or not.

When I went, about 4 years ago, they made most items specifically for us. There were some things that were from the menu, probably because we had said they sounded really good, but the majority was not. I haven't done the Chef's Counter since, though.

FWIW, we thought the food was amazing but the service was rushed and the chefs did not interact with us at all. We had a late seating, it was a quiet night and we were the only ones there for quite some time. The staff was very nice and paid attention to our interests but seemed to be in a hurry for us to leave, even though it wasn't past hours. We tried to ask some questions but only one very young helper in the dessert area took the time to talk to us. Since we were the only ones in the Chef's Counter area, they began to clean up for the night while we were still eating (and again, it was still well within restaurant hours). That didn't make for a comfortable dining experience.

We did the early 5:30 seating and didn't feel rushed at all. I'm sorry you had that kind of service for what was supposed to be a premium experience. My only concern with the service was that sometimes they didn't refill our waters right away, which was odd considering the night before, our waiter at Cafe Orleans was super diligent about it.

Really sad that it seems like they changed the food experience. Would love to hear from other people and their experiences. I was really disappointed about just getting menu items we probably wouldn't have gotten ourselves if we ordered from the regular menu.

I would have been very disappointed! That isn't the experience they promote. Our food was amazing, and to be fair, if there was something we didn't like (because we left it all up to the chefs), it was whisked away and something else brought instead. We were also given VERY generous portions of wine--sometimes 3 different wines to try instead of one per course. We were feeling pretty good by the time we left, LOL. I was disappointed in the actual experience because I thought we'd be interacting with others at the counter and chatting with the chefs. But overall it was pretty amazing, so I'm so sorry you didn't get to experience the special preparations and foods. I mean, why bother with the Chef's Counter if it's the same as what's on the menu?

ETA: I guess you figured out we did the wine pairing, too

We've always gotten primarily menu items (in fact, I think entirely menu items?). It's been that way for at least seven years.

We enjoy it for the value and variety.
Weird, because that was totally not the impression I got from reviews and such online. It definitely was a decent value- we got a ton of good food and variety for $100. But it was a little disappointing. For example, for my main entree I was given pot roast from off the menu- never in a million years would I have ordered that off the menu, and it wasn't very good at all either (thankfully I was getting very full and didn't have the room anyway). Everything else they gave me was pretty good, and I was the only one between my husband and me who got a unique item (risotto app), but again, I was hoping for more creativity.

Yup...it has gone a bit downhill form the epic dining experience it once was. I have been 4 or 5 times and it went from one of my best all time dining experiences to a complete disappointment my last trip. We got very little interaction and felt like we were all just shoveled 6 random mediocre courses with no rhyme, reason or thought process. There was really nothing special about the methodology or paring of courses. We did a group of 4 and we all traded on many courses.

I now much prefer the regular menu and regular reservation where I know I will get something I will enjoy. It has really lost the value that they charge now IMO.

Is is really no longer a menu customized to your tastes and likes and now just a grab bag surprise of a bunch of pre determined courses they have available.

I went last year and the food was delicious, our server was great though he was rushed, but since I had read reviews and went in expecting something different, I was a bit disappointed. We were only asked about allergies, whereas in reviews it sounded like they catered to your personal taste. There was also no interaction with chefs, or even an opportunity for it - they didn't really do any prep in our area. I think most (or all) of our courses came from the menu, though I didn't check. We did get some items that I might not have tried on my own and enjoyed that. My partner did the wine pairing and I will say that they very thoughtfully picked out the wines to complement each course, but I think that was the server's doing. I feel the server, moreso than the chefs, tried to make it a special experience, which just isn't what I had read about from others.

It was still great, but mostly for the quality of food as opposed to the unique experience. I wouldn't feel strongly about doing this over the regular menu if our experience is the norm rather than an off night.

I went two years ago and felt the same way -- it was mostly randomly selected items from the regular menu. I was hoping it would be more like the Flying Fish chef's tasting menu we did in WDW several years back. In hindsight I wish I had gotten the prix fixe menu.

I've been 3 times, and while the food has been very good, it's been progressively less impressive, and increasingly suspiciously like exactly what's on the menu. The first was in 2008, with my teenaged daughter, which was wonderful, and lots of good interaction. In 2015 I went solo. While the food was still very good, the service was rushed and disappointing-- it felt like because I was solo they were not very attentive. Also, the chef was verbally abusive to his staff, and it was pretty off-putting-- I'm not the type who enjoys that kind of performance, like on the cooking shows. Last year hubby and I went, and again.. food was quite good, but the interaction with the staff was negligible. Our server was nice but made some mistakes with the wine pairings.

I think I've given up on the wine pairings there. I had issues the last two times. My brother, who's a manager at a very upscale restaurant in Seattle, warned me that "wine pairings" are often an excuse to get rid of the odd glass of lesser wines left over. The servers at Napa keep trying to pour me wines that were not a great match for what I was having, and the last time the server was surprised when I turned down a vouvray (yuck, sweet) and started requesting a tasting of both mine and my hubby's pour. He was consistently pouring better quality wine for DH, but after a few times of both of us tasting and choosing the latter, he seemed to put a bit more effort in. Still, the last glass he poured DH was full of silty dregs, which he didn't notice till he was removing the glass at the end of the meal. He apologized, but it was pretty unprofessional for a place that claims each server is a master class sommalier.

DH and I decided we're done with Napa Rose; it's just not living up to the former reputation.

Has anyone sent these comments to Disney? It's important that Disney and Napa Rose be made aware of these changes in guest experience. We have noticed some decline since Chef Sutton's responsibilities have grown so much park wide. But we make sure to mention it to the servers we know or to the manager so that the issues can be addressed. And we also make sure to compliment the good things so that management can know what's working well.

I appreciate the honest feedback AND I am starting to feel quite apprehensive about my long awaited first Chef's Counter in November for my birthday. I have read so many glowing reviews, but I realize now I don't know if they were from a number of years ago. Does anyone have any overall positive experiences in the last year that match what pp on other threads have said about this experience?

I appreciate the honest feedback AND I am starting to feel quite apprehensive about my long awaited first Chef's Counter in November for my birthday. I have read so many glowing reviews, but I realize now I don't know if they were from a number of years ago. Does anyone have any overall positive experiences in the last year that match what pp on other threads have said about this experience?

My daughter and I went this past May, and we quite enjoyed it-- however, take that with a big caveat. We've never eaten off the regular menu, so I don't know if what we received was similar to the regular menu. We also didn't do a wine pairing, as neither of us drink. I did feel the chef interaction was a bit of a letdown, though; other than at the beginning of the meal where she asked us what we liked and didn't like, I don't think we ever talked to her again.

We have had our most memorable dinners over the past year in the dining room, not at the counter. Disclaimer: we are regular guests at the restaurant, so our servers know us and our tastes fairly well. Because of this, we have lots of interaction with the servers and the managers. They keep us up to date on the menus changes and answer any questions we have for the kitchen staff (and we ask questions freely). We find that ordering the Vintner's Tasting Menu, with or without the wine flight, accompanied by the attention from the wait staff adds up to a better experience overall than sitting at the counter. And for us, just sitting at a table is more comfortable since the stools at the counter never work as well for me as chairs or a booth.

Does anyone have any overall positive experiences in the last year that match what pp on other threads have said about this experience?
I posted about my experience above. Don't get me wrong, I still loved the experience and don't regret doing it. I only wish I hadn't read so many reviews ahead of time and gone in expecting a personalized meal and interaction with the chefs. My partner, who doesn't do the planning/researching, didn't know anything was wrong and just loved it. So if you can go in with an open mind and not compare your experience to what you've read, you'll probably have a great time.

Also, I think I've gathered from comments here and there that there are at least two different head chefs (obviously since it's open 7 days a week). The male chef who we had (don't remember his name, I'm not even sure he introduced himself) did not ask about likes/dislikes to personalize the meal. He only came over for about 20 seconds to ask if anyone had any food allergies. It seems from comments/reviews I've read like those who get the female chef get more personalized meals. So if you're able to figure out their names you might be able to call the restaurant and ask which one will be there on the night of your reservation.

...Also, I think I've gathered from comments here and there that there are at least two different head chefs (obviously since it's open 7 days a week). The male chef who we had (don't remember his name, I'm not even sure he introduced himself) did not ask about likes/dislikes to personalize the meal. He only came over for about 20 seconds to ask if anyone had any food allergies. It seems from comments/reviews I've read like those who get the female chef get more personalized meals. So if you're able to figure out their names you might be able to call the restaurant and ask which one will be there on the night of your reservation.

The desk does not like to say ahead of time who will be in charge of the kitchen (we've tried asking). But you can certainly note on your reservation that you would like lots of personal interaction with the chef when you dine at the counter. Repeat the request when you check in. It will be helpful for the chef, whichever one, to know this in advance.

Last edited:
Chef Gloria was the head chef for our meal, but she never came over. Chef Francisco, the sous chef, was the one who interacted with us. He came over at the beginning to talk about allergies and preferences, and also asked what we thought about the food after most courses. I thought the level of interaction was fine, though it would have been nice if Gloria came over to say hello.

Thank you all so much for the additional perspective: it seems like experiences are different from the past but can still be very good with a shift in expectations. I also may consider changing to the dining room and the Vintner's Tasting Menu...think I'll do some research on that :)

Thank you all so much for the additional perspective: it seems like experiences are different from the past but can still be very good with a shift in expectations. I also may consider changing to the dining room and the Vintner's Tasting Menu...think I'll do some research on that :)
Just to confuse the issue a little—you can order the Vintner’s Menu at the counter—-

Thanks Deetman:). I read that I could, but figured I'd go with the chef's choices if I sit at the counter. I am just thinking I might get a better experience if I sat at a table--that's where I'm confused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter