NASCAR Fantasy DISCampers

Part-Time Paradise

Is it camping season yet?
Hey race fan campers,

I run (very loose term) a fantasy league for NASCAR. It's a few old Army buddies and other friends, but we're always looking for more competition.

The league runs on NASCAR's site and we communicate (and talk trash) on WhatsApp. Send me a direct message if you're interested in joining.

You can sign up whenever in the season, but to get all the points, we need to square it all away before they fire engines for the 500 on Sunday.

Put my money on Dale Earnhardt Sr!

I was in the stands at Talladega at the Fall 2000 race (the only time I've attended a Talladega race in the stands when I was hosting a customer) when Dale Sr won the 500 with the spine of the Appalachian Mountain chain in the background of turns 2 and 3.

My customer was a Dale Sr. fan and bought lots of merch before the race so I was very pleased with the outcome. That was a good year for my sales results.

Good luck with your league this year Jack. Daytona is the poor cousin to Talladega but hey, at least the season is starting now.

Bama Ed

PS - now I follow the driver Ricky Bobby ....

ZjQuanBn

PPS - I MUCH prefer the long tracks in Nascar versus the short 1.0/1.5 mile constant-left-turns of the short tracks. I could watch Talladega and Daytona every weekend. Just wish they wouldn't wreck 3 times in every race in trying to finish the final few laps.

Last edited:
Put my money on Dale Earnhardt Sr!

I was in the stands at Talladega at the Fall 2000 race (the only time I've attended a Talladega race in the stands when I was hosting a customer) when Dale Sr won the 500 with the spine of the Appalachian Mountain chain in the background of turns 2 and 3.

My customer was a Dale Sr. fan and bought lots of merch before the race so I was very pleased with the outcome. That was a good year for my sales results.

Good luck with your league this year Jack. Daytona is the poor cousin to Talladega but hey, at least the season is starting now.

Bama Ed

PS - now I follow the driver Ricky Bobby ....

ZjQuanBn

PPS - I MUCH prefer the long tracks in Nascar versus the short 1.0/1.5 mile constant-left-turns of the short tracks. I could watch Talladega and Daytona every weekend. Just wish they wouldn't wreck 3 times in every race in trying to finish the final few laps.
I've come to appreciate the drafting super speedways more over the years, but until the new car last year, I'm completely the opposite of your preference. The shorter the better or a road course. The new car has certainly changed the face of races, not necessarily for the worsw, but it wasn't what I expected.

Dega and Daytona are still on the bucket list, but I'm much hungrier for a Martinsville Hot Dog or sitting a top Rattlesnake Hill in Phoenix than getting to the big tracks.

However you slice it though, I'll still be watching each weekend.

Also, in a completely UNRELATED way, I ran a half marathon at Talladega Speedway.

Started in pit row, ran out onto the track (steep turns in the curves for SHURE) and in turn 3 ran outside the track to put in some mileage in the parking lots around the exterior.

Came back in to the grandstand behind turns 4 and 1 and on top of the fence on top of turns 1 and 2. Then down the backstretch on the inside lane and down through turns 3 and 4 through the tri-oval to the finish line on the flat approaching turn 1.

It was a warm day but I just had fun doing it. I think it was in April one year about a decade ago.

Ed

PS - sorry to clutter up your thread, buddy. But I did that Half with my younger brother. Good times.

Interesting.

Donna and I used to be huge NASCAR fans. Our first campers were to go to races and the beach (or both after Talladega). We went to dozens of races every year and were very active on NASCAR forums in the early days of the internet. Ed will likely remember some of these names. Many date back to the dialup days and were Bulletin Boards ((BB) where you downloaded mesaages and posted your responses before hanging up. (You were charged by the connected minute). CompuServe, GEnie, Prodigy, AOL, and a bunch more I forget. There was a regular group of about 50 of us that called ourselves the Nascar Gang. We have a logo, newsletter and met up at tracks all over the country. I have as many (probably more) old NASCAR computer friends as DIS friends. We still keep in touch on Fb and visit each other if we are close. My original name on the DIS was Nascar-J. I forgot the password to the account during a respit between Fort visits and started the account I have now. Team UBR was our race team's name when I was road racing.

When I started racing in the mid 2000s was about when NASCAR popularity started to dwindle. I was road racing (I always preferred the road courses and short tracks on NASCAR) and was busy during the race season at the shop or on the road racing, so I stopped watching as much. I still know the older drivers and a few of the younger ones, but not enough to do anything in a fantasy league.

On another useless trivia note, Donna is related (1st cousins) to Rusty Wallace's wife, Patty. We were at their wedding. The Wallace's are from the St Louis area. When I crewed on a dirt latemodel, we raced against Mike. Rusty and Kenny had already moved to the SE. Judy, the Wallace's mom, was in the NASCAR Gang in the early days.

Signing things with a lower case "j" is a throwback to those early BB days.

j

Can we win money or just the chance to bust other peoples chops?

Anyone have Stenhouse in the league?

I didn't think so. :rotfl2:

Congrats to him and the team. Brad Daugherty, who owns part of the team, was in his own car at Road Atlanta when we were racing there. I think he was in one of the driving schools or Time Trials. He sort of stood out at the morning driver's meetings. :)

j

By the end of the race my roster was pretty much on the hook. I was leading points to last in that last caution sequence.

That's typical Daytona (and Talladega) since the "plates". Yesterday's race was kind of boring despite lots of lead changes. Unfortunately it was one of the 2 parade lines inching ahead one lap and dropping back a foot on the next.

On to California...

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter