NBA at Walt Disney World

The players will already start having their pay cut by 25% starting in May. May 1 will be their last regular pay check
Some players like Lebron will be getting their full salary May 1 because this was in their contract. But that just means they will have to write a check back to the league later on. This is according to Brian Windhorst.

They need to get to 70 games to get all the tv money from the RSNs. I think everyone is currently between 63 to 67 games played.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...At-Least-70-Games-To-Deliver-On-RSN-Contracts

Just 5 more games. Current TV contract with the league runs through the 2024-25 season. You can add 1 more game to each following season and still deliver.

If not, those next 5 games are going to be the most useless to non-playoff bound teams. You’ll be watching a D-League game mostly (starters will suit up but not play much just to adhere to the requirements).

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29109752/steve-kerr-says-league-worst-warriors-offseason-mode
Warriors already gone fishing and looking towards next season, whenever that may be. As it’s written, zero incentive for non-playoff bound teams at this time to really put effort into playing competitive if any games are to be called.

All the Warriors stars coming back next year with a top draft pick. And the suspense of where Giannis may end up. Will be fun to watch.

and just to add to this.. nascar is starting back up in may without fans.
I watched a bit of news on this, apparently in NASCAR the race is the money maker not the fans....interesting...cause the guy said as long as they are racing, they get paid....didn't matter if it was in front of an empty Darlington Raceway.

I watched a bit of news on this, apparently in NASCAR the race is the money maker not the fans....interesting...cause the guy said as long as they are racing, they get paid....didn't matter if it was in front of an empty Darlington Raceway.
NASCAR doesn't own the tracks. The track owner makes most of their money off of ticket sales (with some sent back to NASCAR). The series makes most of their money off of the sponsorships and TV contract. I'm sure they've arranged some type of deal to compensate the track owner.

16 teams become 8 in not much more then a week. Getting enough hotel rooms in WDW, or offsite, should be easy. There a number of hotels which cater to conventions. AFAIK there aren't any conventions scheduled in the next few months. OK a poster can google and might find a couple. I suspect hotels like Gaylord (whatever it's called now) and the Marriott World Hotel would have no problem finding rooms. I suspect Disney would have no trouble finding rooms.

If it were as easy as just housing some players, it would have already happened by now or be in the process of happening. You're not just talking players. You're talking families of the players. Team staffs. NBA league staffs. The families of some of those folks. Its a massive logistical operation. Easily tens of thousands of people. And then you have to basically quarantine them wherever they end up....plenty of people will NOT go for that.

Likewise, you need to factor rest, along with scheduling....if you're talking about strictly playoffs, you have to schedule to assume every series goes 7 games. Of course, every series doesn't. But that's why the NBA playoffs last as long as they do. The players union will have plenty of say in any kind of altered schedule that the league wants to put together.

There's just too many things that need to go 100% right for this to work.

If it were as easy as just housing some players, it would have already happened by now or be in the process of happening. You're not just talking players. You're talking families of the players. Team staffs. NBA league staffs. The families of some of those folks. Its a massive logistical operation. Easily tens of thousands of people. And then you have to basically quarantine them wherever they end up....plenty of people will NOT go for that.

Likewise, you need to factor rest, along with scheduling....if you're talking about strictly playoffs, you have to schedule to assume every series goes 7 games. Of course, every series doesn't. But that's why the NBA playoffs last as long as they do. The players union will have plenty of say in any kind of altered schedule that the league wants to put together.

I was only responding to the hotel room issue. A poster on another board indicated there are issues with the union. At least some of the posters suggest the players will be quarantined, families will stay home. I'm sure players are concerned with catching the virus. Do you test the players every day?

Under normal circumstances, families do not travel with teams when they go to road games.

Under normal circumstances, families do not travel with teams when they go to road games.

Correct. But players are usually home at least a good portion of the time when their teams are at home. If you play a month's worth or more of games elsewhere, that won't be the case. It's the major sticking point in what MLB is trying to work through as well and why playing all games in Arizona/Florida just wont work.

Just 5 more games. Current TV contract with the league runs through the 2024-25 season. You can add 1 more game to each following season and still deliver.

If not, those next 5 games are going to be the most useless to non-playoff bound teams. You’ll be watching a D-League game mostly (starters will suit up but not play much just to adhere to the requirements).

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29109752/steve-kerr-says-league-worst-warriors-offseason-mode
Warriors already gone fishing and looking towards next season, whenever that may be. As it’s written, zero incentive for non-playoff bound teams at this time to really put effort into playing competitive if any games are to be called.

All the Warriors stars coming back next year with a top draft pick. And the suspense of where Giannis may end up. Will be fun to watch.
Haven’t the warriors been in offseason mode most of the year.

He forgot to credit Yahoo Sports who had it over a week ago but that’s okay ;)
The Yahoo article was just saying the NBA should consider Disney World as an option it was not sourced. Shams Charania evidently has sources that say the NBA is actually considering Disney World as a location. No need to credit a speculative article.

Last edited:
Overnight all availability at Coronado Springs has disappeared for the month of June. I have been looking at reservations almost every day because we have reservations June 13-29 and we've been talking about upgrading for part of our stay if the parks are open. It doesn't matter what dates in June I put in, and whether I'm looking at regular room prices or with discounted offers, nothing shows up. Could they potentially be blocking off those rooms, particularly in the towers, in preparation for this?

The Yahoo article was just saying the NBA should consider Disney World as an option it was not sourced. Shams Charania evidently has sources that say the NBA is actually considering Disney World as a location. No need to credit a speculative article.
The Yahoo Sports article had info that Iger was in talks with the NBA which is true. More than speculation.

The Yahoo Sports article had info that Iger was in talks with the NBA which is true. More than speculation.
This is from the article:

The NBA and Disney have had a healthy for years. ESPN, which is owned by Disney, is one of the league’s primary broadcast partners, annually airing games on ABC and various ESPN networks. The NBA and Disney also partnered to open The NBA Experience at Disney Springs, which is an all-encompassing NBA attraction.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver and Disney executive chairman Bob Iger have often spoken of their mutual admiration for each other and the entities each oversees. At the opening of The NBA Experience, Iger spoke at length of his love for the NBA. In turn, Silver spoke of his love of all things Disney. Their relationship could be a key component to making this work.
In addition, the Orlando Magic and Disney have had a great working relationship for years. The Magic could presumably act as local liaisons for this type of endeavor. There would be a lot of pre-work necessary, and the Magic could alleviate some of the pressure on the league having to send too many people in advance.

He is just saying they have a good relationship there is no reporting in that article at all. He deserves a lot of credit for coming up with a good plan but he is not reporting anything.

We were hoping things would open back up in June so that we could reschedule our trip...but I wonder, if this comes to fruition, what impact (if any) this would have on crowds?

This is from the article:

The NBA and Disney have had a healthy for years. ESPN, which is owned by Disney, is one of the league’s primary broadcast partners, annually airing games on ABC and various ESPN networks. The NBA and Disney also partnered to open The NBA Experience at Disney Springs, which is an all-encompassing NBA attraction.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver and Disney executive chairman Bob Iger have often spoken of their mutual admiration for each other and the entities each oversees. At the opening of The NBA Experience, Iger spoke at length of his love for the NBA. In turn, Silver spoke of his love of all things Disney. Their relationship could be a key component to making this work.
In addition, the Orlando Magic and Disney have had a great working relationship for years. The Magic could presumably act as local liaisons for this type of endeavor. There would be a lot of pre-work necessary, and the Magic could alleviate some of the pressure on the league having to send too many people in advance.

He is just saying they have a good relationship there is no reporting in that article at all. He deserves a lot of credit for coming up with a good plan but he is not reporting anything.
I need to find it but there were serious reports well before Shams that the NBA and Iger were in talks. I also have my own sources on this but of course I can’t link to that. Nothing certain as of yet but apparently it took until Shams mentioned it to really start talking about it.

I need to find it but there were serious reports well before Shams that the NBA and Iger were in talks. I also have my own sources on this but of course I can’t link to that. Nothing certain as of yet but apparently it took until Shams mentioned it to really start talking about it.
I don’t doubt any of that but all I was saying is that there was no need for him to credit yahoo.

I linked to one mentioned of it earlier here.
I think whys the Shams tweet is getting so much traction is he specifically states that sources are saying Disney World is a possibility. I don’t remember seeing that. Just that Iger is talking with the league which could be anything considering how they are already partners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter