NBA players complain about food and accommodations at WDW

Normal life has changed for everyone regardless of who they are or how much money they have.
ou
I disagree. Socializing has changed, but they way you personally live in your own environment hasn't really changed. At least it hasn't changed for me beyond cooking more than I had been.

I get why people don't feel badly for them, but let's also remember that these are extremely massive human beings who are very accustomed to specific nutrition to maintain the physical shape necessary to do their jobs well.
I recall reading some days ago, Robin, about the players complaints on the food. I read that that situation was temporary, just for a few days. Maybe while getting settled in?
I wouldn't be happy if I was looking at a 90-day stay in a little room and eating all of my meals out of a styrofoam box.

IMHO they should have given them a DVC property where they could each have a bedroom, kitchen and living room. I think for the money the NBA is paying Disney (reportedly $150 million) , it's substandard.
From what I understand from the first article linked, the "awful", "airline-quality food is just for the first 48 hours.
They are staying in the brand new Tower. Plus YCV and GFV.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/disney-gran-destino/
No YCV. No DVC there.

I've stayed at Coronado Springs. In a "regular" room. It was pretty nice. 2 queen beds, 5TV, separate bathroom, refrigerator. Don't know what they were expecting - it's a hotel.
NBA players are used to luxury hotels. I’ve stayed at a few before, and I can imagine those who are used to it have a hard time adjusting to just “nice”.

I disagree. Socializing has changed, but they way you personally live in your own environment hasn't really changed. At least it hasn't changed for me beyond cooking more than I had been.
Your life hasn’t changed at all? You’re living life exactly the way you were before this? Don’t know where you live but lucky you. We still have 30-40 min waits here just to get into the grocery store.

Your life hasn’t changed at all? You’re living life exactly the way you were before this? Don’t know where you live but lucky you. We still have 30-40 min waits here just to get into the grocery store.
Pretty much. I'm retired, so no issues with kids and education or a job. I just don't get out much. The difference for me is no socializing, no dinner out, no movies, no WDW evenings, no card games, no lunches with my ladies.

Currently there are no waits to get into any stores in Orlando. This week I was out one afternoon to run errands. It's boring, but life inside "my bubble" my home, remains the same.

Quarantine is 14 days and they just got there. That’s a long time to eat substandard food.

I get why people don't feel badly for them, but let's also remember that these are extremely massive human beings who are very accustomed to specific nutrition to maintain the physical shape necessary to do their jobs well. And if they didn't do their jobs well, people would complain about that as well, especially since, you got it, they get paid a lot of money. Sometimes, the amount of money you make doesn't actually pertain to legitimate gripes, of which these men might not have the highest order of one, but given their limited options and the expectations still being placed on them in an unprecedented situation where they are being kept away from their families, maybe give them a little grace, no?

As a bodybuilder who is also used to specific nutrition to maintain physical shape: there is nothing wrong with that meal posted on the first page. It isn't "substandard" at all.

Is it appetizing looking? No. Is it award-winning cuisine? Also no.

But I'll break it down for you:
Garden greens with arugula (dark leafy green), watermelon (carbs), goat cheese (protein)
Caprese salad (calorie dense thanks to the cheese, plus protein - this is often a go-to of mine in a pinch)
Italian grilled chicken (protein)
White fish (protein)
Parmesan polenta (carbs and calories)
Pasta with Impossible bolognese sauce (big time carbs, big time calories, and protein from the bolognese)
Roasted summer vegetables (veggies, obviously)

This is actually a crap ton of food (clearly intentional, as they likely consume a very high amount of calories), a lot of protein, a lot of carbs, and a lot of sodium (which endurance athletes need). The picture posted on shows the salad, fruit, and a snack (appears to be two varieties of chips - high carb), not the full meal. All of these items on that list and in that photo are the kinds of things an athlete would eat in a tight situation where meal prep wasn't possible. I've done similar when I didn't have time to meal prep (although I've never eaten both chicken and fish in a single meal, but these men are also much bigger than me).

A top-level athlete can handle eating salad from a plastic container and some bland grilled chicken for 14 days. Their physiques are not so fragile that being unable to eat filet mignon and swordfish for two weeks will cause them to fall apart or perform poorly, I assure you. As long as they are getting the calories they need, they will be fine.

A top-level athlete can handle eating salad from a plastic container and some bland grilled chicken for 14 days. Their physiques are not so fragile that being unable to eat filet mignon and swordfish for two weeks will cause them to fall apart or perform poorly, I assure you. As long as they are getting the calories they need, they will be fine.
Not all NBA players eat super healthy meals. Around here, Stephen Curry is known for which food trucks he visits. Once his wife posted about them tracking down an ice cream truck when they heard the sound. NBA players don't necessarily eat all that healthy. Supposedly the turnaround for the Warriors in the 2015 Playoffs were around the entire team at some barbecue joint in Memphis.

Still - some of the top players have their own personal chefs who attempt to cook specific meals for nutritional needs.

One of the weirdest food criticisms I recall was when Chris Webber complained about being stuck in Sacramento with a "lack of decent soul food".

A television reporter in Sacramento recently asked the owner of a downtown soul-food restaurant if he was offended by Chris Webber's comments -- the ones in which Webber, the Kings' All-Star forward, said he could not find a decent soul-food restaurant in the capital of California.​

If this is what they are really being served, I'd complain too. My understanding is they have to be in quarentine in their rooms for the first 14 days they are there. So they don't have a lot of choices as to what food they can get. I also assume (hopefully) they are limited to the food options available to them at their hotel.

View attachment 508790
Compared to that I'm eating like a king.

Pretty much. I'm retired, so no issues with kids and education or a job. I just don't get out much. The difference for me is no socializing, no dinner out, no movies, no WDW evenings, no card games, no lunches with my ladies.

Currently there are no waits to get into any stores in Orlando. This week I was out one afternoon to run errands. It's boring, but life inside "my bubble" my home, remains the same.
I hope that you stay safe. I hope that you are spending time outdoors, best place to be. Early mornings and later in evening are great times if you don't enjoy the warm temps or have health conditions that preclude you from the heat.

I get why people don't feel badly for them, but let's also remember that these are extremely massive human beings who are very accustomed to specific nutrition to maintain the physical shape necessary to do their jobs well. And if they didn't do their jobs well, people would complain about that as well, especially since, you got it, they get paid a lot of money. Sometimes, the amount of money you make doesn't actually pertain to legitimate gripes, of which these men might not have the highest order of one, but given their limited options and the expectations still being placed on them in an unprecedented situation where they are being kept away from their families, maybe give them a little grace, no?
What? No.
Shameful and ungrateful. Immature.
This isn't a permanent situation, deal with real life (not really real life for most people, still very privledged) like the rest of are doing.
JMO.

Nope, not giving them grace. Sorry.

I worked airline charters for pro sports (MLB and NHL) and worked for an NBA player. Except for a small few, they aren’t eating healthy 100% of the time. On the charters I worked you wouldn’t believe the catered food we got in — AMAZING! And 95% of it was thrown away. I remember vividly waiting hours on the tarmac for teams because before the flight they picked up McD’s. They all came onboard with it. Hey, it made my job easier. But we looked at all this food and shook our heads. The NBA player I worked for had his own restaurant. Players would go in after the game. Salads weren’t their go-to. They went for wings, burgers, and alcohol.

LOL!!
They can't even see their families for 6 weeks.

6 week separation isn’t fun, but really it’s not that long. They aren’t separated because they are working in healthcare and dealing with Covid patients. They aren’t being separated because they are on deployment with our military.

Try being separated for a 6 months or a year when Skype or FaceTime isn’t an everyday luxury. And MRE’s versus the tray of fresh food, then I’ll have more sympathy.

This is hilarious. Clearly some of the players aren't really appreciating the moment we're in right now in our country. I would imagine that they're going to have a tough time completing this "season"...or whatever they're calling it anyway. They'll be back with their private chefs in short order.

They're all going to give each other that thing....what's it called again....the thing consuming the lives of all average Americans.....that thing making hundreds of thousands of people sick and killing another 130,000+....oh, that's right COVID. I'm all for athletes standing up for social justice. Grown, rich men crying because they don't like their room or the food...not so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter