NBA players complain about food and accommodations at WDW

There might be some confusion over what the quarantine actually is. For those who weren't clear, it's 36 hours in the same hotel room before they can avail themselves of the outside amenities within the "bubble".

I'm still confused over why they are only quarantining for 3 days 1.5 days when it can take up to 14 days to test positive after exposure. Honestly what's the point of having them quarantine at all?

Last edited:
I'm still confused over why they are only quarantining for 3 days when it can take up to 14 days to test positive after exposure. Honestly what's the point of having them quarantine at all?

I can't figure the NBA. I think they just want a short term where they can check for symptoms and then test again. They're not subject to the Florida requirements for non-commercial visitation.

Also - that's 1.5 days.

Last edited:
I think they tested before they left their home city too, so maybe the 36 hours is just an "updated" test (if that makes sense). Just a guess.

Yes, difficult decisions. Men are choosing whether or not they are going to leave their pregnant wives alone to be with their teams because they don't want to risk bringing the virus back to them. Young players who are making the minimum, which is still an okay amount of money to you and me, but is following a very underpaid period as minor league players, really have no choice but to play since they will not make this year's income otherwise and might be viewed differently when it comes time to negotiate in arbitration or a new contract.

I really don't like this idea that if you have a good or desirable job and you make good money doing it, you don't have tough decisions. Or that if other people have tougher decisons, your decisions are not tough. As I already mentioned, one of my favorite players is NOT playing this year due to his newborn twins being in the NICU. Even though this was an "easy" decision for him because he can forfeit his salary without worry, it still leaves his team without a starting player, there were still expectations on him that he is opting to prioritize in a different way (and good for him!) and he was considering until their birth still playing anyway. These men still have families, and there is still a virus going around that could touch them or their families. No amount of money being made changes that.

NHL players don’t get a paycheque during the playoffs so there’s no financial repercussions for them to opt out.

NHL players don’t get a paycheque during the playoffs so there’s no financial repercussions for them to opt out.

There's a bonus pool for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It's in the collective bargaining agreement. Not quite sure how it gets allocated though, since that's up to the players' association.

28.1 Player Fund. The following single lump sum payments in the League Years described below shall be made by the NHL to the Players on account of a Player fund ("Player Fund"), which shall be allocated to the Players on Clubs participating in the various Playoff rounds and/or based upon Club finish, as shall be determined by the NHLPA, subject to approval by the League. The amounts described below shall be considered "Benefits" pursuant to Section 50.3(a).$13 million in the 2012-13 and 2013-14 League Years;​
x $14 million in the 2014-15 and 2015-16 League Years;
x $15 million in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 League Years;
x $16 million in the 2018-19 and 2019-20 League Years; and x $17 million in the 2020-21 and 2021-22 League Years.​

I've read about how teams in other sports determine how much of a share that players get. It can get complicated if someone isn't on a postseason roster due to injury or the player is traded/signed midseason. Some teams have a player vote to determine if and how much a player who was traded away or perhaps traded to the team will get from the postseason share.

It's also getting bigger just for this postseason.

• Playoff bonus shares are increasing. The overall pot this season is $32 million, doubling from last season. The pot is set at $20 million next postseason. The percentage shares for players during this non-traditional playoff tournament had yet to be determined.

I get it. WDW accommodations are awful compared to other high end places you can stay. And the rooms are tiny. If you’ve stayed at Red Carnation resorts, then you know what I mean. Also, Disney food is hit or miss. I can’t imagine being stuck eating room service for two weeks. Yuck. Then you have FL humidity and rain. I can see why they’re not happy to be living out of a Disney resort. I’ll pass.

I get it. WDW accommodations are awful compared to other high end places you can stay. And the rooms are tiny. If you’ve stayed at Red Carnation resorts, then you know what I mean. Also, Disney food is hit or miss. I can’t imagine being stuck eating room service for two weeks. Yuck. Then you have FL humidity and rain. I can see why they’re not happy to be living out of a Disney resort. I’ll pass.

There's talk about a certain event scheduled for Florida this August being held outdoors because of Covid-19. I'm sure they'll love being outdoors with an average high of 90ºF with 100% relative humidity and 7 inches of rain for the month.

I'm sure WDW has some high-end dining. However, they're not stuck in their rooms once they do the 36 hour room quarantine. Players will have options once they're outside of the initial quarantine period.

Also - that's 1.5 days.
Of course it is. Not sure why I was thinking 3 days.

I think they tested before they left their home city too, so maybe the 36 hours is just an "updated" test (if that makes sense). Just a guess.

I am sure they were tested at home. Regardless 36 hours is not nearly a long enough time know if they were infected between leaving home and arriving at the resort.

:confused: Is Coronado Springs a deluxe? If so, that one picture makes me feel bad for the regular-people paying customers that have and will stay there. Not that it's uninhabitable by any means but a 4* hotel it is NOT and the prices for deluxe are ridiculous.
I actually side with the NBA players on this. For what you pay, Coronado Springs' rooms aren't a good value and are Comfort Inn level and don't even include a bathtub (like they used to).

And it's further strange that the best teams are stuck at the intermediate Coronado Springs while the worse teams are at the premium Grand Floridian and Yacht Club.

They have a self contained infrastructure including gyms, hotels, transportation, and food. The ABC/ESPN angle was also mentioned.

However, I was thinking that they might not like Holiday Inn style accommodations when they’re used to 5-star resort and high end business hotels. For example, in Toronto visiting teams often stay at the Ritz-Carlton or Shangri-La.

But they’ve been used to cheaper lodging playing AAU club or college. And college dorms and dining halls.

Also, even though Jaylen Brown only stayed a season, he’s still repoing Cal. Hoping he comes back to finish his degree like Shareef Abdul-Rahim.

30653194-8512795-Pictured_Jaylen_Brown_of_the_Boston_Celtics-a-36_1594492026795.jpg
what about Jason Kidd. Did he ever go back to finish

I actually side with the NBA players on this. For what you pay, Coronado Springs' rooms aren't a good value and are Comfort Inn level and don't even include a bathtub (like they used to).

And it's further strange that the best teams are stuck at the intermediate Coronado Springs while the worse teams are at the premium Grand Floridian and Yacht Club.
But they're not in the normal Coronado Springs' rooms, are they? I thought they were in the tower.

They are in Gran Destino tower at Coronado Springs. It's all inside. Also, it's REALLY nice (for Disney). The only thing that stinks is that it doesn't have it's own pool/quiet pool. The closest pool is the main resort pool.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/coronado-springs-resort/It's the giant building in the main picture.
The rooms are Comfort Inn level with the wooden floor and minimalist furniture.
And no bathtub.

Nothing wrong with Comfort Inn but you would expect to pay Comfort Inn prices and not Ritz prices.

Last edited:
It’s funny to see what kind of impression Disney makes on people who aren’t Disney fans wearing rose-colored glasses. Motel 6 rooms and airline food. :laughing: Just wait until they have to book their fastpasses and pay the resort parking fee!

Exactly the value you get for the hotels continue to go down compared to off property. Especially with all the nickel and diming of parking, getting rid of bathtubs.

Haha so much!

Look, I agree the posts are a bit tone deaf considering the state of the world, but so are a lot of posts from non-athletes. To some people I’m sure the complaints on here seem like out of touch rich people complaints.

That said, as soon as I heard about the NBA bubble on the radio, I started laughing out loud in my car and thought “oh man, these players are not going to like their accommodations.” I enjoy Disney, but Disney hotels are nothing special. The draw is the proximity to the parks and ease of vacation. Even the Deluxe resorts are not high end accommodations. They’re like a Marriott with theming. They’re nice, but they aren’t luxury and they don’t have the typical luxury hotel food service either. I’ll be one to admit I wouldn’t want to stay at a Disney hotel for six weeks. The Four Seasons over down the road, sure lol.

Not to mention, I’m sure it was billed to them as it is in general as deluxe and luxury, heck even the radio was talking about the players having 5-star accommodations. I’m guessing part of it is mismanaged expectations.
Exactly, it just exposed the low level/cost to value ratio of the Disney Hotels. It's been what alot of us having been saying for the last couple years.
They really are nothing special for what you have to pay and then add to that the fact that the players are in a bubble and can't actually go to Disney, MK, AK, EP, HS and all value for these hotels evaporate.

Last edited:
Most of the people complaining have saved a whole year for the trip....NBA players are paying what???? Nothing!

Normal people pay the overinflated prices but can actually go to MK, AK, DHS, Epcot so the proximity is the main draw. The NBA players can't enjoy or go to any of that so the quality/value of the hotel is all that matters.

Would you pay those $$$$ prices to stay at Disney when you are not allowed to go to Disney. Probably not.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you that it is tone deaf, and that they are really representing their employer. I'm not sure if the NBA has a social media policy for its 'employees', but I suspect that would violate many work place social media policies.

Again, I don't agree with the delivery, but I do think that they are right in the expectation of deluxe in normal times. I was flying during the times of COVID, and it was definitely a challenge that there were no lounges open and only one food outlet. The difference is that the US is still in the heat of the fire, whilst other areas have moved past it so expectations to have things return are greater (and Lufthansa has opened limited lounges)
I'm glad they spoke up because this is something us Disney fans have been saying for years and now we are hearing it from an unbiased outside group.

But they're not in the normal Coronado Springs' rooms, are they? I thought they were in the tower.
Yes, but they still have that fake wooden parquet floor that quality inn and even motel 6 uses. And no bath tub. Imagine being 7 feet tall and having to duck your neck just to get under the shower hose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter