Need Advice - First Timer

DiznyMagic

<font color=green>Touched by a fairy<br><font colo
Hi,

I'm not a first timer to these boards but I have never been to Disneyland and due to some unforeseen circumstances I am trying to provide a trip at a very limited budget. What suggestions do you guys have? I have already requested a quote from Dreams unlimited and was wondering if those food packages where you pay one price and get vouchers are worth it?

Also which hotel would you suggest? Right now our party will consist of myself, DD (4 y.o) and my MIL.

HOw many days do you anticipate for each park? and can you leave the park and come back later that day?

Any suggestions/tip would be appreciate it. THank you

PS I'm a vacation club owner with the minimal points but the points per day were outrageous! I wouldnt' even have enough to cover one week!!

I can't help much with hotels or vouchers since I'm local and an AP holder and just go in for the day, but there are some decent, not real expensive off-site hotels/motels within walking distance. I would suggest at least 3 days total for both parks--2 for DL and 1 for DCA. Yes you can leave the parks and return--just get your hand stamped. Park hopping is really easy since the two parks are right across from eachother.

I would try to piece it togeather cheaper than a package.

The meal deals are only good if you eat alot and with the group you mentioned it may not be the best deal

-em

I have not heard anyone post reviews that thought the meal plan was a good deal. I'm pretty sure you'd do better on your own. DL is not like WDW, you can get in and out of the parks very easily, so eating offsite is just a 10 minute walk. You've got McDonalds, IHOP, Denny's, Tona Roma's Ribs and Mimi's Cafe all right outside the park. IHOP even offers kids eat free after 4pm every day.

For hotels, again 10 min walk, my favorites are Carousel Inn, Best Wester Park Place, Tropicana and Howard Johnson. You can usually get a rate of $50-60 per night using a AAA or entertainment card. Carousel and Tropicana even offer a continental breakfast, while not much, coffee, juice and danish, it does carry us over until lunch.

Three days would be a minimum, especially if you go in summer, four - five days would be better.

I agree With got2travel That is what we just did
We Stayed at the Best Western Courtesy Inn which is on Ball it was less than a 10 min walk through the Mickey and Frends parking garage to catch the free trams to DL
We had 3 day hoppers witch was all we needed but there where no crowds i to would recomend 4 or 5 days during summer.
we ate a early Supper around 2 ( resterants where empty )
we would then have a late Snack in our room ( Had A fridge and Microwave ) :earsboy:

Every post I have seen on the meals plans reckoed they were not worth it - the biggest complaint was that it restricted you to Disney dining and di not allow you other options outside the park.

We had 4 days and thought that perfect - but 3 would be enough to do both parks. 2 for DL, 1 for DCA and a fourth to revisit favourite rides.

Both parks are surprisingly compact and very close together - within 15 minutes you can be on a ride in one park, and then queueing, or an a ride in the other. Hopping is very easy, as is leaving and re-entering should you wish for a break back at the hotel, or to eat outsdie the park.

We stayed at the Howard Johnson, which is 10 minutes away, and loved it. Other posters here rave about Candy Cane Inn and singificantly, both parks top all the surveys as the best off site accommodation. (Disney's Grand Californian is considered the best outright, but it is also very expensive)

thanks everyone for the replies - it does look that offsite and our own meals is the way to go. Now I need to look at park tickets and airfare. We are in Cleveland and can't imagine driving to CA

Disnee Dad Says..........................................Just thought I would give this a bump to get more suggestions.

We've stayed at the Residence Inn down the road, it's pretty nice but will close to $100 a night.

We've stayed at the Dessert Inn and Suites, it was ok, but you might get their smallest rooms for as low as $59 and it's 3 feet from the park!! Ok it's a couple hundred yards but you can't get much closer! It's been a few years so things may have changed, but way back when, continental breakfast was donuts and Tang!!! I am not kidding. But, great location, great price and it is perpendicular to the street so isn't quite as noisy.

Disneyland now has like 5 different shuttles that link about 20 close hotels to the park. 3 to 5 hotels on each line.

Hey DiznyMagic,

You can tell your Dreams agent to get you the most economical package.

For economy hotels I like the Ramada Inn Maingate because it is within walking distance. However, you might also want to look at Tropicana, Travelodge International, & Coast. BW Park Place Inn is really popular, and their prices are a little more. When you stay at one of the properties on Harbor (w/in walking distance), you have a lot of economical dining options -- pizza, Chinese, McDonalds, Dennys, IHOP... Also, some of these offer a simple Continental breakfast that might hold you until lunch time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter